View Poll Results: Vote for the 3 Drabbles you think should be in the Premier League

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Goose4291 - Premiere

7 50.00%
  • 02 - Commander Iunno - Collectors Items

2 14.29%
  • 03 - Bleke - Service Mites

5 35.71%
  • 04 - Erik Marcaigh - Anna Kournikova

7 50.00%
  • 05 - Frank - Onwards and Upwards

5 35.71%
  • 06 - Galactic midden - Jettisoning Corrosive Cargo

6 42.86%
  • 07 - MrMogadon - Doing It Old School

4 28.57%
  • 08 - Ian Phillips - They don't make them like they used to....

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabbles: Ancient Artifacts, Premiere, Cascading System Failure

Drabbles: Ancient Artifacts, Premiere, Cascading System Failure

Here we are at the Premier of the Thanksgiving Day Drabble Vote. We have uncovered some rare treats for you tonight. I'm hoping that nothing goes wrong tonight.

The topics of tonight's Drabble were

Ancient Artifacts set by Erik Marcaigh
    Premiere set by Galactic midden
    Cascading System Failure set by Commander Iunno

Could we please have a round of applause for our new contestant Goose4291 who has chosen to Premier his Drabble career with a Drabble about Premiers. I tell you that's more ironic than rain on your wedding day.

RETURN OF THE AUDIO VERSION HERE : YES LISTEN TO THIS WEEKS ENTRANTS!

The above poll is multiple choice. Please choose your 3 favourites.

And a stern warning for any of you contestants thinking of voting for themselves. Let's just say that "Cascading System Failure" is also a medical term.

Voting ends on Sunday. The winner(s) choose the next topic and we go through it all again next week.

01 - Goose4291 - Premiere

The bottle arcs lazily through space, it's velocity and rotation unchecked by constraints such as gravity, it's path tracked by the shipyards work-lights.

With force, it collides with a slab white hull, shattering on impact. Globules of liquid burst forth into the void, the letters "FRETENSIS" illuminated proudly on the hull's nameplate above the impact.

The engines crackle slowly into life, the exhaust generating bursts of incandescent white thrust as the vessel moves gingerly forwards, causing murmurs of polite approval from the small party of dignitares as the Imperial navies premiere warship slides from her moorings for the first time.

02 - Commander Iunno - Collectors Items

“How’d your man find this again, Felix?”

The cargo hold of the station is silent at the night shift. Shipping containers are stacked to the ceiling on either side, hired security with suspicious glares watching the pair as they pass by.

“He has connections, Tawny.” Comes the simple reply. “Let’s leave it at that.”

They arrive at their destination, a door is thrown open and the pair step into the hold. Tawny lets out a low whistle. “How many?”

“Two thousand Sony Walkmen cassette players, each one carbon dated and verified. All in working order, and not a single reproduction.”

03 - Bleke - Service Mites

They had traversed half the galaxy in a single jump, it was the premiere test of Zukan industries new witchspace drive.

Near a planet they found what appeared to be cargo canisters, peppered with pockmarks, indicating that they had been floating around for untold ages.

Human curiosity being worse than that of a cat, they scooped one up. After some initial troubles they managed to release its contents of little metal spiders which dispersed all over the ship, nibbling at everything — eventually causing a cascading system failure.

Back home the drive plans were stowed away in the wardrobe of failed projects.

04 - Erik Marcaigh - Anna Kournikova

"It was amazing, T.J.," said Kalran as they completed their transaction of medicinal herbs. "I was there at a premiere in the Computer History Museum in Kaiakul, an Empire system. They were displaying ancient artifacts dated early 21st century. The director stood up and said..."

"And here we have a computer file going back to the early 2000's! It's called, "AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs" and according to our research, a JPG is an ancient 2 dimensional picture file!"

"The Director opened the file and everything started failing, even spreading to 14 other worlds before an Independent world stopped the virus!"

05 - Frank - Onwards and Upwards

The head of HyperTransCo was cheered onto stage. He smashed a bottle of champagne on the large gimballed sphere beside him.

"You know, this isn't a new idea, a network of hyperdrive engines tethered to gates throughout the galaxy. We discovered one in Taritra that was over 300 years old. But we now have the technology to make them viable."

He pressed a button. The sphere glowed and emitted a rising pitch. "Walk to another star as easily as walking to another building. No docking. No pirates. Just complete safety." The sphere continued to brighten and get louder and louder.

06 - Galactic midden - Jettisoning Corrosive Cargo

"Well Captain Incompetent! It's been hours and now it's not just the drive that's malfunctioning but the executive lounge's music, air-con and cocktail server are offline too. You're such a loser!" Dame Annabellum snarled, spittle hitting Captain Dirk's face.

Furious at missing her show's grand opening, Dame Annabellum was releasing a vitriolic rage befitting her thespian stature.

"Lady please..."

But the dame wasn't to be mollified "Your Orca's a bucket of bolts!"

At this attack on his beloved ship the young captain snapped. "That's enough you old relic! Stuff your money and charter. Flight attendant, ready the dame's escape pod!"

07 - MrMogadon - Doing It Old School

At the unveiling in the Arthurian Gallery, Jerome stood transfixed in front of a wooden rectangle hanging on a wall.
    Jerome’s digi-guide informed him this was how people, millennia ago, created pictures; by layering pigmented paste onto fabric attached to such ”frames”.

On this, was an image, mostly in reds, oranges and blacks, depicting a grizzly, historic scene: space station Governmental Policy aflame; midway through a series of ever-expanding system failures.
    Thousands died horribly as first docking computers, then fire suppression, life-support and finally, mule cloaking suppression systems crashed.

This ”painting” was the first to be shown in living memory.

08 - Ian Phillips - They don't make them like they used to....

It was the culmination of two years effort and work by the Barnards Star Amateur Radionics Deployment Society (famously known by it's acrynom of s).
    The time had come for the system wide premiere.

All systems were on-line and soon the whole station would be treated to a show from the depths of time, made possible by recently discovered Ancient artifacts found at Alpha Centauri.

The ancient 'Microhard' holodisc player was ceremoniously connected to the stations comms systems and was, at the signal, powered up.

"Incompatable Software" flashed across the screen, followed by cascading system failures across the whole station.

Eight great drabbles to choose from this week! I know at least one I'm voting for, hands down. But I gotta take my time deciding on the other two...

Look at that! My drabble seems to have been ushered in through the alley door.

I didn't notice your request not to enter the contest <blush> It may now be too late to remove it as you've already got a vote. I guess someone is glad your Drabble made it in this week.

The way I work is to scoop up all the Drabbles for the week and squirt them into the poll. This ensures that they are the latest edited version of the stories. If you don't want to enter the contest in the future, could you please leave a note on the Drabble itself.

Sure. No problem.

It was just that I didn't have time to edit out the 101:st word.

I guess it doesn't matter much now, when one drabbler is stealing the show with his freedom tower of a bar.

You can tell how bad 'Kow sings when the autotuner has to work THAT hard to keep him ... well.

I thought you were going to set that auto-tuner on fire!

+1 for the song though.

The return of the audio version of the Drabble Contest... Fantastic!

I don't want to read another story ever again. I want words poured in through my ears.

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    You can tell how bad 'Kow sings when the autotuner has to work THAT hard to keep him ... well.

I thought you were going to set that auto-tuner on fire!

+1 for the song though.
    Yeah I set autotune to crazy to get that amazing sound from it... LOVE It.........

Nice drabbles everybody, and a remarkable opening glitzy number on the audio. Quite moving.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I don't want to read another story ever again. I want words poured in through my ears.
    Yes, the enunciations of this podcast were particularly soothing as they purled through my auditory meatus.

I suggest we capture these man-sirens and make them chant an eternal lullaby with their ethereal voices.

And read our drabbles of course, that goes without saying.

There's still time to vote

We've got another neck and neck situation here. Could some kindly passer-by please vote to break the tie. There's still plenty time to vote.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    We've got another neck and neck situation here. Could some kindly passer-by please vote to break the tie. There's still plenty time to vote.
    That's right, and Frank's still hoping for another vote so maybe he'll tie for 2nd place instead of third!

Seriously though... Read or Listen... and Vote!
    Then try YOUR hand at writing a Drabble too! It's fun and a bit addicting!

Well, Goose4291, if it ends with 14 votes, then we'll definitely be tied. That means each of us picks a topic for this week and posts it by Monday morning'ish.

Drabblers can then use either topic or both in their drabble.

Got one figured out yet, just in case? (You can always check the 2nd and 3rd posts in the main drabble thread to see a history of all the topics that have previously been written.)

Congrats to Goose4291 and Erik!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast