View Poll Results: Pick Three (3) most Lightheartedly Fishy drabbles!

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Rog - Fishing Expedition

5 31.25%
  • 02 - Goose4291 - Dangling

5 31.25%
  • 03 - Galactic Midden - A Journey's End

6 37.50%
  • 04 - Erik Marcaigh - Goodbye

3 18.75%
  • 05 - Iain M Norman - Starlight

3 18.75%
  • 06 - Ian Philips - Bigger is Better

2 12.50%
  • 07 - Frank - Asterozoa

12 75.00%
  • 08 - MrMogadon - No Longer on Shaky Ground

2 12.50%
  • 09 - insanephoton - Glow of Life

3 18.75%
  • 10 - Winterwalker - .. Heroic Fail ..

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest: Fish and Light

Drabble Contest: Fish and Light

Our normal host for the weekly Drabble contest, Frank, is a bit put out with computer problems this week, so I'm standing in to help out. (Wait... Did I just call Frank "normal"?)

Our topics for this week's Drabble contest were:
    FISH set by Erik Marcaigh, and
    LIGHT set by Goose4291

The above poll is Multiple Choice, and as an informed voter, be ye further informed that you may vote for Three (3) Drabbles! (You're just not allowed to vote for your own. Those who do will be swimmin' wit' da fishies.)

Voting will end Sunday evening GMT, so don't dawdle! The winner(s) of this week's Drabble Contest get to choose next week's topic.

[If we get lucky, our very own Psykokow will place his Audio Version here!]

Optical/quantum compute modules. Beautiful apex L1 tech. Frank hit it with a spanner and spat in disgust. Not like the old reliable trinary stuff.

He stepped out of the Cobra and looked up through the ice-moon's thin atmosphere at the looming gas giant. The way the light from the ringshine sparkled around the frosty landscape was utterly beautiful, but he was having none of it.

"Soddit!"

Fishing an e-cig from his overalls, he activated the distress beacon and checked the charge in his favourite blaster.

Just a little wait...

A refreshingly scruple-free attitude meant that spares would be here soon.

The freighter Erul drifted listlessly near the gas giant, transmitting a distress signal loudly throughout the system, distorted and broken by the planet’s mass.
    Above it, just outside the mass-lock of the planet, two quick flashes of light betrayed the arrival of two Sidewinders, their pirate clan insignia displayed proudly in blood red on their hulls. As they closed, Erul’s pilot transmitted one word on an encrypted channel: BITE.
    Decurio Oligirio smiled as he read the message then signalled to the Equites under his command to begin powering up their ships. This would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

The submerged wreck was marvellously majestic in it's isolation. Settled on a sand bed and pristinely preserved it bore riches rivalling most of the sunken seagoing ships of ancient Earth. Creatures crawled slowly, swam languishing amongst the sickly swaying seaweed and broken body of the once vibrant vessel.

Lights dimming, power system subsiding this life giver alien slowly succumbed to the great cold abyss.

It's time was passing, past life and fate forgotten. Crew cryogenised; pilot, passengers and purser pacified, none now brought blame or ill will.

A last exhale and the Orca's canopy capsized, first light then ecosystem extinguished.

He looked out his window at the farmland beyond. It was bright out, and he squinted against it's glare. He'd spent yesterday packing, and today, across the table from him were the lady from the title company and the buyer, MrMogadon.

"...and sign here too, please."

"You look a bit sad, Mr. Kalran," said MrMogadon. "Surely the sales price is fitting?"

"Yes, thank you. Too many memories these past two years."

The lady tapped a few keys, "The credits have been transferred, Mr. Kalran."

He nodded and picked up his satchel, tucking the Orca Class ship brochure into a pocket.

Starlight, so bright
    In the shadow of this home of ours
    Hanging in the night

Below, spidery lights
    City arteries arc, the ebb and flow
    A patchwork of life

The stars are dimming
    That should not be be, dawn is far off
    Sol’s glow growing

Sunlight, too bright
    No longer masked by earth’s dark sphere
    Danger flaring high

Dayside meets deathlight
    Half burned, boiled and broiled to death
    Eight minutes away

City webs survive
    Protected by the night for now but
    Dawn won’t be stopped

Select target system
    It is time to stock up on supplies
    Profit in the strife

This was turning out to be a special trip. The darkness was so different to the star speckled vista of space. Here you couldn't see anything in the night.

The captain finished his preparations and called his guests together.

"You should now all get to your places and we will start the fishing part of this trip. Strap in well, the fish are attracted to light. The bigger the light, the bigger the fish that comes to eat it. We use just a small light source as bait."

Psykokow rummaged in his bag, bringing out an underwater searchlight.

He grinned.

She swam through the brilliant plasma, a creature of simple thoughts: see food, eat it. She saw something above her, an oblate spheroid. She swam to the surface for a taste. Bletch! something was rattling about inside it. She spat it out.

Bob's fueltank was filling. He stared down at the majesty of the ocean of churning light below him. He glimpsed something in there for a second, massive to be visible in SuperCruise.

The shudder confirmed it. Instinctively he pulled back to climb. Diagnostics showed his ship was fine. He examined the star. Whatever he encountered was now gone.

A sulphurous wind blew in, giving the landscape an unnatural hue. A result of the frequent seismic events that made living on Reorte challenging.

Reorte’s treacherous landscape was accepted by the inhabitants as the collateral damage of their innumerable deities' subterranean battle for supremacy.

However, vulcanology was not what had brought Emarr here. It was tourism. Everyone knew that tourists loved religious festivals and here they had them in spades. However, the very real prospect of being fried like a kipper stopped many from coming.

Emarr's plan was to rise above such concerns: Luxurious Airship Hotels. How could it fail?

'We have intermittent lights appearing on the surface of the planet captain.'
    'You're sure it's not lightening or something? There shouldn't be any anyone else out here.'
    'Positive captain. The profile is wrong.'
    'Okay take her down, we'd better investigate' The ship slowly descended into the atmosphere of the earth-like planet. The ship hovered over the ocean surface and the crew gathered to observe the spectacle. As the sea glowed an eerie blue whenever a large sea creature broached the surface.

'What's going on captain?'
    'It's bioluminescent plankton. This is a good sign. It means that the ecosystem is healthy.'

Canopy breach, made with 10 secs. life support remaining .. Light
    Supercruised from Titan, docked in under half a minute .. Light
    Interdicted around Freeport, vector escape .. Light!
    Dropped near unidentified signal; Capital Ships, massing .. Light
    Merchant Rating Clean. Faction Neutral, Scout .. Light

System Data? ..

Damn I know what's coming though, she peers above her clipboard, glaring.
    No clue how far I've come. How much I need repairs.
    Or what it means to get to Sol to me ...

No. She'll just say, "Light. You're underweight."
    "What's it got to do with the price of Fish?"

Ok, I know I entered "3" as the number of days the poll should stay open. Then I clicked on "Preview Poll" to double-check. And everything still looked good, so I hit submit... but now it believes the poll will last 8 days instead? (I sent a PM to Ian already.)

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    Ok, I know I entered "3" as the number of days the poll should stay open. Then I clicked on "Preview Poll" to double-check. And everything still looked good, so I hit submit... but now it believes the poll will last 8 days instead? (I sent a PM to Ian already.)
    Dear cod what have you done? Frank! FRANK! Erik's broken the poll. We should've expected something fishy to happen. When Frank gets back he'll likely batter you

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    Dear cod what have you done? Frank! FRANK! Erik's broken the poll. We should've expected something fishy to happen. When Frank gets back he'll likely batter you
    As long as it's a LIGHT batter. Nothing too heavy.

A fish and chip shop? What an excellent Idea. There's bound to be a fishy Drabble someone could write about that

Someone seems to have fixed the timer, as I see that the end date of the poll is 7 dec.

I'll claim the credit anyway You're welcome!
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Someone seems to have fixed the timer, as I see that the end date of the poll is 7 dec.

I'll claim the credit anyway You're welcome!
    OMG... It was never broken.

I was just looking at the date with American eyes. 7/12/2014 looked like the 12th to me, and I was just glossing over the 7 because... I dunno. I'll blame it on too many things to do yesterday. Yeah, that's it.

We going to record audio Grant?

vote

I vote #2 for goose cracking dit

Looks like Frank is swimming away with this one, but you never know! There's two more days of voting, so readers... Pick your favorite THREE drabbles and hit that vote button!

I did manage a good push-off for an early lead, but I always start to flounder at this point. I might lose my plaice, especially if I post some terrible puns.

Rog, I'd like to think I voted for your Drabble because it had an evocative atmosphere coupled with a wry sense of humour, but my judgement may have been influenced by your choice of protagonist. I would hate to think of myself as being so shallow, but I'd also like to point out to any future drabblers that I did indeed vote for the story that had me as the main star.

This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Is it a little distressing that less people have voted than the number of submissions?
    [CENTER][URL=http://inara.cz/cmdr/3168][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/CENTER]

Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    Is it a little distressing that less people have voted than the number of submissions?
    Not yet. I usually wait til Sunday to cast my vote. It gives me more time to think about which ones I really like. Though this time I voted early because I was reading & re-reading the stories as I was updating and posting the poll.

Grudgingly I gave Frank one of my votes. I loved the huge plasma-creature he created... and we should really get Mr. Brookes attention and let him know that Asterozoa would make for a great alien to encounter while fuel-scooping sometimes! What a rush THAT would be!

Luvverly drabbles everyone - Frank's obviously a dab hand herring off into the lead like that with his fin(e) story.

Hmmm, wonder how many I can name check in future as a blatant vote-winning strategy...

Ya GUPPY careful how many names are packed into your story. It'll end up less a story, MORAY list of folks that vote. Not that I'm adverse to using any tricks I can to get as many votes as possible.

A Star-Fish would be a great addition to make fuel scooping more interesting. The first time I heard of the concept of such a lifeform was from Arthur C Clarke. "9 Billion Names of God".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast