Thread: EliteBrainerous: the standalone "incredible neural OCR engine" powering EliteOCR

EliteBrainerous: the standalone "incredible neural OCR engine" powering EliteOCR

Hey everyone!

As my long term goal is to have this be an all-round solution for anyone working on integrating OCR into their EliteDangerous app, it's spun off into it's own project!

https://github.com/CapCap/EliteBrainerous

Over 99.99% accurate :-)

This isn't a place to discuss whether or not such a thing should exist- I wish I could delete posts like that because it's needless clutter, and there are a lot of other threads that exist for that kind of debate.

This is a place to ask questions about the OCR, get implementation help, report bugs with it, etc. I hope this becomes a resource for fellow devs trying to do OCR in EliteDangerous :-)

If you're looking for a sexy, sleek project using EliteBrainerous for parsing market data, look no further than Seebek's EliteOCR: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68771

(sample output from the slightly less accurate RBM- I recommend using the logistic classifier)

ToDo:
    1. Expanding EB to classify characters in addition to digits (in progress!)
    2. Improve the character segmentor (don't really want to do this myself but will if I have to!)
    3. Implement own NN backed sliding window text-detector to determine own text-region bounding boxes (same as #2!)
    4. Extend this to actually capture the screenshots internally, recognize the screen, and provide an API to whatever data is contained therein (i.e if(eb.currentScreen() == 'market'){ print eb.parseCommodityData() })

PS: Hey Frontier! I'm available for hire or freelance ;-)

Originally Posted by zxctypo View Post (Source)
    Hey everyone!

As my long term goal is to have this be an all-round solution for anyone working on integrating OCR into their EliteDangerous app, it's spun off into it's own project!
    Cool and a great idea to make it an OCR engine to be used by others. I've put EB in the TODO section on the OP of the 3rd party tools thread. When the rest of the TODO list is done it will be put on the OP section "OCR - Optical Character Recognition". Absolutely fabulous what you have with OCR-ing the numbers!! Curious if you can repeat the magic with names ;-)

Great stuff.
    What I'd like to see is a base tool to combine all the apps under the same framework...with plugins for various activities (static data gathering, market data, logbooks, routes, timers, personal statistics such as have I been here before etc etc and overlays for display/data entry). I have a few ideas but my programming-fu is lacking....really would require a team effort and coordination. Anyone interested spitballing drop me a PM