View Poll Results: What's your HUD colour?

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

2 0.60%
  • Orange (or, 'I can't be bothered to change the default')

225 67.37%
  • Yellow

4 1.20%
  • Green

18 5.39%
  • Cyan

17 5.09%
  • Blue

42 12.57%
  • Purple

12 3.59%
  • Black

1 0.30%
  • Grey

2 0.60%
  • White

11 3.29%
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Cockpit instrumentation colour & customisation discussion thread HUD UI etc

Originally Posted by Lobstris View Post (Source)
    Sandro definitely said that HUD colours were something they were looking in to in response to an earlier HUD colour question by my good self. However, a lot of water has flown under the bridge since then, and given what has happened to other, arguably more important features going AWOL, HUD colours may have dropped down/off the ToDo list again.

Ho hum...
    Definitely. I hope it gets implemented soonish.
    Specs: Core i3 @2.50 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 6300M/Intel HD 4000

Please add options to change UI colors.

Hello
    PLease add this option [http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangero...he_gui_colors/ ] to game menus, ASAP ,thank you.
    Because at Twitch everyone ask how change UI colors
    Cmdr. Marquiz Blackk - Captain of Black Space Sea.
    Black sails on the horizon. [ block switching modes of play in space]

I second this option. In fact Marquiz you beat me to it i saw this in action. A simple ctrl or alt plus a key to scroll through various types.

I really wanted this to be something that changed depending on your ship and/or manufacturer. Not all ships from all manufacturers should have the same orange HUD right? Everything is so orange.

I'll just leave this here...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419

For those that want screens of the colours.

Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post (Source)
    I really wanted this to be something that changed depending on your ship and/or manufacturer. Not all ships from all manufacturers should have the same orange HUD right? Everything is so orange.
    There are cars in the real world that you can do this with. I'd imagine in year 3XXX you could have your ships UI whatever color you want.

New GUI Colours! :) Goodbye orange!

See here for how to do this - found some I really like and very readable - goodbye orange. Thanks to Arrku for the tool!

These are not as pinky / purple as they look - more a shade of white and light blue.

Colour changes to 'dash board' screens

Sorry if this has a post already BUT it's got to be in the game .
    Adjusting the colours to the 'dash-board' helps me read the text better, and my brother ,who is partly colour blind says it helps him too.as he cant see 'reds' very well. With the current dash glowing orange, the ability to adjust this colour to 'ones own' "taste" is a GREAT idea

CHECK THIS OUT.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangero...he_gui_colors/

There is even a test editor , with sliders ,so you can find that 'magic' colour setting for your self"

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

THIS SHOULD /HAS to be a part of the options menu ...
    has to be
    WATCH THIS you tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiwzwBNhnrM GO to about '42 minutes' and watch how a real pirate takes cargo WITH OUT DESTROYING a trader.

Originally Posted by CHristina View Post (Source)
    Sorry if this has a post already BUT it's got to be in the game .
    Adjusting the colours to the 'dash-board' helps me read the text better, and my brother ,who is partly colour blind says it helps him too.as he cant see 'reds' very well. With the current dash glowing orange, the ability to adjust this colour to 'ones own' "taste" is a GREAT idea

CHECK THIS OUT.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangero...he_gui_colors/

There is even a test editor , with sliders ,so you can find that 'magic' colour setting for your self"

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

THIS SHOULD /HAS to be a part of the options menu ...
    has to be
    A dev already commented that it will come. But it isn't super simple to update the UI for just that one item. It will take some work.

The reason it can be done now in the configs files is groundwork for enabling it in a game menu.

Greg Ryder replied to a thread Change HUD Colour *tweak* in Gamma Discussion Forum
    You are correct, it was a prototype that turned out good enough to check in, but not quite good enough in its current state to be an "official" feature. It's a bit of a blunt instrument, and due to the difference in our sensitivity to different colour bands, is a touch hit and miss for generating good colour schemes (and as noted has issues with the map/other systems). Currently I'm loving the purple scheme someone came up with in the first couple of pages.

Forum Database Wiki Design Discussion Archive Making Video Games is Hard ED Dev Tracker

Discuss the idea, not the person.
    The universe is deterministic and singular, composed of ordinary objects, ultimately knowable by man. The Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is fantasy, not science.

Changing the HUD colours / theme editor

Hi all,

Since the gamma forum has been archived and this still works in 1.0, I'm reposting the info about HUD colour theme editing.

Forum member Kirisute first posted the discovery that the ship's HUD colours can be changed by editing the file GraphicsConfiguration.xml in the game's install location. The file can be found either in EDLaunch/Products/FORC-FDEV-* where you installed the game, or inside your home directory under the possibly hidden directory AppData/Local/Frontier_Developments/Products/FORC-FDEV-* and the relevant bit to edit is this:

Code:
    <GUIColour>
      <Default>
        <LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
        <MatrixRed> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixRed>
        <MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
        <MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>
      </Default>
    The MatrixRed, MatrixGreen, and MatrixBlue lines specify a colour matrix with which the original HUD colours are multiplied. The lines correspond to the original ("input") red, green, and blue colours, and the three numbers on each line are the multipliers for applying that input colour to each of the three (red, green, blue) output channels. Thus there is no way to edit, e.g., one red thing without affecting all red things, which can cause problems with maintaining distinction between friendlies/enemies/neutrals, etc. However, with some clever tweaking perfectly usable themes can be created.

The original thread is archived here and has a lot of themes posted by users.

I've made a web-based editor to edit HUD colour themes on the fly. Basically it shows a screenshot collage from the game and uses javascript to apply colour matrix transformations to that screenshot. These approximate the results in the game rather well, but not perfectly. The colour matrix can be edited with sliders and/or number input in realtime, and it generates the configuration snippet ready for copypasting into the configuration file. You can also copypaste the corresponding snippet (e.g., from the forum) into the editor for preview and editing, or manually type in the same values you would put in the configuration file to see the effects.

By the default the slider ranges are limited to 0-100% (corresponding to 0.0 - 1.0 in the configuration file), but there is an extended range -button in the lower right corner, and or you can just enter (or paste) a theme that has values outside this range and the sliders will adjust for greater range, including negative numbers. (Negative values can be useful for increasing differentiation of colours.)

Since it's a web-based tool it obviously won't edit the actual file for you, but copypasting back and forth between the file and editor is easy once you've found the file and the correct spot. Also note that the game tends to overwrite the file with each update, so you need to keep your themes safe somewhere and re-apply them after an update. (edit: See below for a workaround.)

The editor can be found at: arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

(Tested on latest Chrome and Safari only, reported working on Firefox as well.)

The above screenshot is from the editor, the below from the actual game with the same theme:

As you can see they do not match perfectly, but it's very close, and fortunately the difference tends to be that it looks better in the game, with more easily distinguished colours.

Tip: if you see orange animations in the menus despite having changed the colours, disable “UI effects” from the graphics configuration – this removes the mismatched animations. Also, don't forget that there's the HUD brightness control in the ship's functions UI panel - different themes work better at different levels.

As for how to use the editor and install the themes, another forum member has made a video tutorial.

- - - - - - - - - -

My own theme above was inspired by 80's retrofuturistic looks and neon glow, the settings are:

Code:
    <MatrixRed> 0.2, 0.05, 2 </MatrixRed>
    <MatrixGreen> -0.15, 2, -0.5 </MatrixGreen>
    <MatrixBlue> 1.75, -1, -0.3 </MatrixBlue>
    (link to open theme in editor)

Or an alternative version, almost the same for the most part (no new screenshots since they are hard to tell apart), but more intense colours, making the “neon glow” stronger and the purple a bit more distinguishable from blue. I suggest trying both with various HUD brightness settings, I can't decide which I like better myself…

Code:
    <MatrixRed> 0.35, 0.15, 3.5 </MatrixRed>
    <MatrixGreen> -0.5, 2, -1.25 </MatrixGreen>
    <MatrixBlue> 1.75, -1, -0.4 </MatrixBlue>
    (editor link for intensified version)

Basically orange becomes blue, blue becomes red, red becomes purple (so enemies are distinguishable as purple, especially ones shooting at you appear distinctly), green stays green but becomes more intense (friendlies easy to recognise).

edit: In 1.1 and presumably later, there is an alternative configuration file called GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml, which has the same format but is not overwritten by game updates. So if you wish to make the HUD tweak persistent, place the theme there, e.g.:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<GraphicsConfig>
    <GUIColour>
      <Default>
        <LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
            <!-- YOUR THEME HERE -->
      </Default>
    </GUIColour>
    </GraphicsConfig>

UI colour change

So, I was watching twitch while having my dinner and I noticed some people had changed the UI from orange to blue.

Pleeeease tell me how!

"I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do."

Originally Posted by TannakaObi View Post (Source)
    So, I was watching twitch while having my dinner and I noticed some people had changed the UI from orange to blue.

Pleeeease tell me how!
    There you go: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419

They're manually going into the files that control the game and changing the code themselves I believe. It's currently not an implemented feature but will be in the future.

'.:TLB:.

Ah sweet, a cool white sounds nice. Cheers! Have some rep for being so prompt!

Originally Posted by Cmdr Deanor Ralos View Post (Source)

"I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do."

Thanks and you're welcome. I have that thread in my shortcuts now. Everytime there's an update you'll need to update your changes as well (they will be overwritten). My favorite is the green one atm - works best with DK2 in my opinion

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast