Thread: My ED OCR Tool (Automatic screenshot monitor and output)

My ED OCR Tool (Automatic screenshot monitor and output)

So, I went in head first and wrote 80% of the program before checking for existing tools... And there are some really good tools available.

This ED OCR tool monitors your screenshots folder and outputs a csv file to your documents folder. It uses Tesseract OCR and needs minimal setup and intervention. It does not contain a dictionary, so some screening might be necessary when importing data.

I hope you guys find this useful. critic's ED OCR

This was a quick 2 day project, I would suggest using it as an alternative to some of the other well maintained tools. When needed I will make the source code available.

Nice, the more the merrier! What's it coded in?

I foresee in the very near future a wolf-man appear asking you to feed the EDDN (Elite Dangerous Data Network).

Post in that thread if you haven't yet.
    LET PLAYERS DETERMINE THE MISSION REWARDS AND WORK FOR THEM.

It is by will alone I set my ship in motion.
    It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

It's a WPF Project in Visual Studio 2013 using C# and .Net 4.5.

Originally Posted by Andargor View Post (Source)
    I foresee in the very near future a wolf-man appear asking you to feed the EDDN (Elite Dangerous Data Network).

Post in that thread if you haven't yet.
    So sad, a wolverine being called a wolf-man ;-) two completely different species. SNIKT!

YES I missed this thread but critic posted in the EDDN thread. Now I know how to interpret his cryptic wordings in that thread "a kind demon pointed me here."

I WILL put this on the OP of the 3rd party tools thread. It will be in the TODO section first because I can't keep up with all the tools out there. I predict wolvie playing ED in the summer of 2015 if things progress like this.........

Subscribed.

Edit: Its on the OP of the 3rd party tools thread, section "TODO"

The thought of something dumping data directly without a manual screening scares me a bit though.
    That's gonna wreak havoc on the accuracy of the databases.

Originally Posted by Sokonomi View Post (Source)
    The thought of something dumping data directly without a manual screening scares me a bit though.
    That's gonna wreak havoc on the accuracy of the databases.
    You are correct, validation is a PITA. Have a look at the EDDN thread as well.
    LET PLAYERS DETERMINE THE MISSION REWARDS AND WORK FOR THEM.

It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Any serious data store should be doing a range check on the data, even if the data is a human input, in case of ED anything above/below 30-40% of the galactic average should be discarded. Given the LOW/MED/HIGH supply/demand indicators even more sophisticated filters can be added.

EDDN will need to filter the data, you really can't trust anything coming in from the public.

I got the same idea, but I think better way to use Tesseract with dot net interface instead of running and monitoring executable. ( https://github.com/charlesw/tesserac...aster/tessdata ).
    Also, IMHO will be nice to make own screenshot directly from GL Frameboofer ( http://spazzarama.com/2011/03/14/c-s...ing-api-hooks/ ),

And my strong opinion - EDDB is bad idea, just private log and trade data on second screen with automatic stats and best buy/sell prices and stats will be perfect... This data should be private.

I think it's possible to use the official Tesseract in .NET, there is no need for a third party wrapper. Having it as a separate install also allows the user to update Tesseract at some point on their own and it get's the job done. As for the screenshot grabbing, I wish to leave the user in control, there are some trust issues with a program that can take a screenshot of your screen without your consent, and the current setup allows the program to be run without admin access.

As for having a local DB option, I think that is a good idea, I personally don't like using external information sources, in some sense it takes away from the game. Being able to record your own data in a DB instead on paper seems like a good solution that would even make sense in-game.

In the past your excellent tool, thread has been added to EDCodex. Before EDCodex was released on the 17th of August you have received in the period 5th - 10th of August a PM with an invitation and a special link. After registering and logging in you would automatically become owner of your entry. According to the admin tool(s) you haven't used the special link (yet). Perhaps you have missed the PM or have been (temporarily) away from ED. Its also possible you choose not to claim your entry. Note: Its also possible to assign another commander editing rights for your entry. In either case please send us a PM. You can find your EDCodex entry here.

Alternative way to get ownership
    The special link will cease to function in the (near) future, for security reasons. Should you after that point want to become owner of your entry you can use the "Claim ownership" button. In that case please send biobob or myself a PM with the email addressed you used for registration - for verification. You can also use this procedure if you no longer have the PM.

What is EDCodex:
    Its a website with a database of currently approx 215+ tools,threads,websites,videos for ED. Any one can and is encouraged to add entries there. EDCodex is and should be community-driven. EDCodex companion thread. Its equally suited for PC's, tablets and smartphones and has RSS feeds.

With kind regards,
    Biobob
    Wolverine2710

Sorry, haven't logged in since before your invitation. I just claimed the tool on your site and added a link to the source code.

https://github.com/cybercritic/Elite-OCR