Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot data and market information dump to log file when docked

Exclamation Pilot data and market information dump to log file when docked

There is no question third-party, community tools enhances the player experience of the game. As proof, a vibrant community of devoted and volunteer player developers have already produced an impressive amount of tools, and the player response has been phenomenal.

All this despite the fact that getting data out of the game is a very difficult task, using such unreliable technologies as OCR. Although, again, these volunteers are working hard to make them better.

During Gamma, there have been numerous requests for an API to obtain market and other data from the game. Michael has responded that they are looking into it, and that they want to do it right. That, however, could take a while, as the developer team has other priorities.

I would suggest another approach to obtaining game data other than an API: a data dump of player and market statistics whenever the player docks.

This data dump already exists. As some of you know, there is an iOS app that was published by FD which gives your pilot's stats, current ship, and station info such as available outfitting items, available ships, and market commodities, including pricing, supply and demand. This is done via a Web API. (Note: Currently, the iOS app does not function, I'm assuming that launch has something to do with that, but the data is there.)

My suggestion therefore is to dump the player data from the local game client to file whenever they dock. You could use the current format used in the Web API (JSON), or XML, for example.

The community developers can take care of what happens to the data from that point: use it locally, upload to tools, and so on.

I believe that this would be very easy to add to the game client, and requires less thought that a full-blown API. I therefore request that you consider implementing this in the near future.

As an addition, some information is not available in the Web API that would be welcome by the community:
    - Presence of a black market
    - System star coordinates
    - Rare commodities availability
    - Station type and economy (economy, faction, wealth, government, etc.)

Thank you for your consideration.

EDIT: Some of you disagree with the use of 3rd party tools, please start your own thread to argue for or against them and please stay on topic, thank you.

It is by will alone I set my ship in motion.
    It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Please.
    CMDR Slugsie flying the good ship GetTheHellOuttaMyWay

I'm a loner. I don't compete, and I don't cooperate. I just play my own way. I neither seek out nor avoid others, if you find me I'll say 'Hi', maybe exchange a few words; but I'll soon move on. I don't get involved in any of the politics, I pledge my allegiance to no-one other than myself. My cockpit is my home, not a star, not a planet, and not a station. Off to the Black once again.

I absolutely totally positively agree with the OP.

Sounds good to me.

This would be indeed most excellent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Originally Posted by Andargor View Post (Source)
    This data dump already exists. As some of you know, there is an iOS app that was published by FD which gives your pilot's stats, current ship, and station info such as available outfitting items, available ships, and market commodities, including pricing, supply and demand. This is done via a Web API. (Note: Currently, the iOS app does not function, I'm assuming that launch has something to do with that, but the data is there.)
    Call me cynical, but I believe the reason the app doesn't work now is exactly because people were trying to use it for this purpose.

had the same idea, please FD dump some data locally

Originally Posted by xenoclast View Post (Source)
    Call me cynical, but I believe the reason the app doesn't work now is exactly because people were trying to use it for this purpose.
    Probably because they thought that it should be information available to them from the game client in the first place.

It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

totally agree... give us third party developers something we can sink our teeth into.. Frontier cant do it all, and there are a number of commanders here that would love to pick up the torch.. .sanctioned by frontier...not hacking the game to get what we want...

I've added station type and economy to the requested items in the OP that were not available in the Web API.

Yes Please. Needed feature.

Originally Posted by Spicy Weiner View Post (Source)
    Yes Please. Needed feature.
    +1 for your nick

I agree, but please make it optional, for people who don't want to participate. And add a small cost in credits each time the data is exported.

Of course it would be optional. If you don't want to use the API, don't run a third party app/tool that uses the API. It's that simple. And no, it should not cost any in game credits.
    CMDR Slugsie flying the good ship GetTheHellOuttaMyWay

I'm a loner. I don't compete, and I don't cooperate. I just play my own way. I neither seek out nor avoid others, if you find me I'll say 'Hi', maybe exchange a few words; but I'll soon move on. I don't get involved in any of the politics, I pledge my allegiance to no-one other than myself. My cockpit is my home, not a star, not a planet, and not a station. Off to the Black once again.

Originally Posted by Slugsie View Post (Source)
    Of course it would be optional. If you don't want to use the API, don't run a third party app/tool that uses the API. It's that simple. And no, it should not cost any in game credits.
    Let me make the case for it having a cost.

As it is, we have an exploration portion of the gameplay, which has rewards for gathering information and costs for being given information. Fly to a star system, explore, return and sell. Or, browse the available maps and trade data and purchase.

For the price of purchasing trade data, we have the convenience and potential profit of not wasting time and trips to go discover potential trades.

A small price (100CR, just like trade data) would match up with that. We would have the convenience and potential profits of optimized trade routes. As far as in-game goes, it would match up with what's already established.

Furthermore, it would open up some future possibilities. Who knows, trade tool operators could come up with ways to recognize their contributors. Perhaps in the future, a player-provisioned trade network could appear as a faction in-game, with in-game reputation and benefits.

Mostly, however, keep in mind that a small price is an investment in data. It would pay off many times over in a play session. Probably pay off many times over in a single trade run. Paying a little for the service makes us feel like we're investing in an opportunity, rather than just grazing our way around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast