View Poll Results: Which 3 drabbles shine brighter than the rest?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Friday Morning -- Luniticisi

1 4.35%
  • 2. Star dreamer -- Scorpio

1 4.35%
  • 3. Sweet Dreams Are Made of These.. -- Nagual

7 30.43%
  • 4. The Stars and Their Moons -- Frank

4 17.39%
  • 5. Stranded -- sjmQ

5 21.74%
  • 6. You Scumbag -- Bikky

2 8.70%
  • 7. The night at Sky -- Chelles

2 8.70%
  • 8. A Night's Work -- Cathy

5 21.74%
  • 9. Of holes, moons and stars -- Slythe

1 4.35%
  • 10. Moonstruck -- Darren Grey

3 13.04%
  • 11. Discovery -- Ian Phillips

4 17.39%
  • 12. A Moon With a View -- Musashi

12 52.17%
  • 13. The little things are sometimes the best -- The Lone Gunman

3 13.04%
  • 14. Memories of a space pilot -- kilvenny

3 13.04%
  • 15. A good read.. -- psykokow

5 21.74%
  • 16. Return -- Darkoba

3 13.04%
  • 17. The Elite breakfast -- insanephoton

3 13.04%
  • 18. A Reason not an Excuse -- MikeSnos

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DRABBLES] Moon and Stars POL - vote now!

[DRABBLES] Moon and Stars POL - vote now!

Yes, my lovely moon-faced readers, it is time for another poll! Choose your favourite 3 drabbles from our 18 star drabble-crafters and vote vote vote! The rules:

- Choose exactly 3 drabbles
    - Do not vote for your own!
    - You may beg for votes at the nearest desolate moon
    - The winner shall choose the starring topic for the next week
    - Votes end after 3 rotations around the yellow type G star 'Sol'

Remember that anyone can vote! Just because you've never been entranced by a star-filled drabble before doesn't mean you can't get into the voting spirit now. You have three days to vote - don't hold back!

The Drabbles!

1. Friday Morning -- Luniticisi

The local star was shining. Casting a golden glow over the moon base and shimmering through uncovered windows declaring morning to all that could be bothered to notice.

Someone who did notice was George. He always noticed things. Noticing things was a big part of his job.

George was a detective and he was becoming increasing aware that living on a moon wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Staring into his morning beverage, George decided that now would be a good time to talk to his tea.

"Psykokows rouge turd and a stolen handbag in three years, Damn!"

2. Star dreamer -- Scorpio

It was a sultry Saturday night in downtown Riedquat city. Rudi Kleinman strutted his way to the heaving dancefloor of the Moon and Stars club. He began with the polka, then moved onto the flamenco, the boogie woogie, the mamba, and the mash. He finished with a star jump that left hair gel coated on the disco ball. The house dance troupe roared their approval, the girls from the visiting volley ball team from Brazil stood open mouthed in awe, and those high and mighty pilots cringed in their inadequacy before him.This was the only universe this sanitation operative needed.

3. Sweet Dreams Are Made of These.. -- Nagual

She sat in the cockpit for the third time that week, made sure the controls were working. Earlier that week she had found chewing gum on the throttle, if she ever found out who, they would get an ear full.

She closed her eyes, raised her head to the heavens and opened up the throttle. The little ship jumped to the sudden command. Eyes still closed she could see in her minds eye the moons and stars flying by. The ship abruptly stopped moving.

“Come on dear, it's time to go home. No more credits for the ride today."

4. The Stars and Their Moons -- Frank

The famous singing sensation Susan Boils had decided to treat the galaxy to her singing talents. She'd gathered together a troupe of the most famous stars in existence for a grand tour of all the most important places in the universe.

Susan looked out of the massive side window of the bright pink Orca spacecraft as they left spaceport. She was annoyed to see the Paparazzi's ships waiting outside.

She issued a command to the celebrities "If they want a show let's give 'em one!", making her intentions clear by hiking up her dress. and backing up to the window.

5. Stranded -- sjmQ

Jack tapped his oxygen gauge for the fifth time. “Damn... Once more” he thought.

With only the stars and a fading suit light for illumination, Jack circled the Cobra scanning the bland lunar surface for a tell-tale glint of metal.

“Oxygen level critical” chimed the space suit.

Jack sank next to the Cobras landing strut. “Well, I guess this is it” he said, looking up at the closed hatch.

Grinning, he instructed his suit to start broadcasting a distress call – “Locate this beacon to retrieve my corpse, and if you find my spaceship keys, please shove them up my ass”

6. You Scumbag -- Bikky

‘YOU... NO... GOOD... WORTHLESS...’ Frank paused for breath. ‘PIECE... OF... JUNK.’ Frank punched one more time. Standing towering over his nemesis, wheezing heavily, he says. ‘I told you to stay away from her. Cathy wants nothing to do with you anymore. Not since she was your slave. Frank sticks the boot in and is rewarded with a sickening crunch of ribs breaking, and an OOF, from the resulting breath escaping. The beaten, bloodied man defies him and Frank lands one more punch to the nose, and where most people would see Stars at this moment, Psykokow sees Moons.

7. The night at Sky -- Chelles

Following the recent death of Sir Patrick Moore, Lave Radio have been debating the future of a favourite of astronomers from all over the galaxy. Debates have been widespread, with some wishing to end the program altogether, in favour of another reality program, with one representative stating, ‘We don’t want another Stars In Their Eye’s, being broadcast. However the programs future may be rescued, as rumors abound that the secretary general of the United Federation of Planets, a keen Astronomer himself,may take the lead role. Although not the face we all love, I’m sure you’ll all welcome, Banky Moon.

8. A Night's Work -- Cathy

Chandra used a simple garotte on the waiter. He had broad shoulders. Fortunately the Moons and Stars club staff attire comprised silver satin shorts and matching bowtie. Chandra stripped the body and put the skimpy uniform on.

She heard the general's guffaw as she crossed the spangled floor with a crescent shaped tray. He was brazen in his four star uniform. Chandra slipped two tiny discs from under her tongue and dropped them discreetly into the glass. They fizzed briefly, reacting with the alcohol.

"On the house, general."

He leered, then gulped greedily.

Chandra left to collect her assassin's fee.

9. Of holes, moons and stars -- Slythe

Commander Sturn directed his explorer to land on the small moon.
    The scanner had detected water on the surface but all he could see was rock.
    He opened the hatch as soon as they landed and stepped out.
    Spying some loose soil a short distance away he strode towards it to get a sample.
    As he reached it, the regolith gave away beneath his boot.
    He found himself sliding helplessly down a steep hole.
    In the instant before he splashed into the frigid water at the bottom, his gaze was filled by the stars reflected in the treacherous black pool.

10. Moonstruck -- Darren Grey

Imperial Maester Essien read the reports with contentment. The Alliance troops were utterly stranded, whilst he controlled the stars. Their moonbase had been electrofragged, disabling all electronics, letting Essien take the planet’s starport with ease.

The reports of explosions on the far side of the moon made him chuckle. They must be in-fighting or killing themselves in utter desperation! But it mattered little – the luxurious starport was all his now.

Far above Alliance General Matthieson ordered placement of more gigaton explosives. It was utter desperation, but she would make this moon her weapon of vengeance, targeted right for the starport...

11. Discovery -- Ian Phillips

"Wooohoo! Just look at that! We’ve hit the jackpot Sam."

"Running diagnosis. It's big enough for sure. No life signs. No energy pockets. Yeah, it's completely derelict."

"There's what killed it. That is one BIG hole. Looks like an asteroid hit took out the engines and power plant. "

“Let’s land and confirm the name.”

Trudging across wind scoured rock the two explorers gazed up at the wreck’s hull.

“The Moon and Stars insignia. This really could be it. The name would be further along the hull.”

Sam finally allowed himself a satisfied smile as he spied the name, ‘TITANIC’.

12. A Moon With a View -- Musashi

“The stars…” he croaks. “I’ve never seen them.”

The fever has him bad and he doesn’t have long. Despite being born in this hellhole penitentiary moon, few care and none can help the boy now. A guard owes me, though, and I call in the favour – surface access, briefly. Even my old can drag a sick child up there.

I look out at the glorious spectacle. I’d almost forgotten it, and the reminder hurts. I turn to the boy, but the eyes are just glass orbs in a mannequin.

I wonder – did he see the stars before he died?

13. The little things are sometimes the best -- The Lone Gunman

Jack was ecstatic! It was his birthday and he had just got the best present ever

His father had said earlier “Anything you want and it will be yours!”

That his father was the Emperor didn't really enter into Jacks mind

“Anything in my power is yours” the Emperor had looked on proudly at his son

To Jack there was only one thing “The Stars and the Moon” he had replied quickly

Sure enough the Emperors promise was kept

Jack Four, loved skidding around on the Grand floor of the Imperial palace
    with his patterned stars and moon socks on!

14. Memories of a space pilot -- kilvenny

Retired Elite veteran Ralph Buchanan clasped his left hand with his right and straightened his fingers, wincing with pain. Arthritis was a terrible thing and he knew his came from the many hours and sometimes days spent gripping the joystick of his space ship, his thumb painful from the countless times he had tapped a rhythm on the red firing button.

Many were the nights he woke, sweat streaming down his face, his hand clenched as if was still holding the stick and his thumb flexing rapidly as in his dreams he played out one more dogfight in space

15. A good read.. -- psykokow

The first time you see deep space is breath taking, all the darkness surrounding you, nothing but little pin pricks of light in the deep distance.

The sense of scale leaves you feeling utterly miniscule.

She cuddled her son as he smiled excitedly out the window,
    ‘Look mum... a shooting brown star with a yellow tail’

She looked and scowled, the cabin door opened and her husband came in putting his book on the table.

He looked at her scowling face
    ‘whats wrong my love? you ok?’

She snapped ‘Could you not have waited a few minutes before you flushed?’

16. Return -- Darkoba

He admired the rings he hadn't seen for years as he passed Saturn at relatively low velocity. His lazy inward spiral took him close enough to see Jupiter's red storm, still raging.

He smiled as he saw the "red planet", now mostly green and settled by colonists.

Ahead, he watched the blue planet, with its smaller partner, grow in the view-screen.

He hailed Lunar Base as he passed, slowing down to Earth orbit. He orbited the planet several times, loath to land, then sighed and activated the landing sequence.

After twenty-five years in space, he left the stars for good.

17. The Elite breakfast -- insanephoton

Start your day with a boost.

Have a bowl of Orion's new Moon and Stars breakfast cereal.

Each moon and star is made from a blend of the finest Disoan grains and fortified with extra essential vitamins and minerals to give you the best start to your day.

They're delicious and nutritious crunchy shapes that will set you up for the whole day no matter how busy you are.

Just as ships run better on high quality fuel, your body runs better with high quality food. You can't get a better breakfast than Orion's Moons and Stars.

The Elite breakfast.

18. A Reason not an Excuse -- MikeSnos

There'll be no drabble from me this week said Mike to no-one in particular.

It's nearly seven on deadline day and our hero's finally typing, and now his drabble is coming along although the end's in sight.

The reason for the delay you see, is that work got in the way. Our hero ended up working late at night under the moon and stars when every sane person was fast asleep dreaming about their cars!

So now we have a drabble, it's not really that good you see. But now it's coming up to seven, I'd better have my tea!

I'd just like to refer everyone to this post:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=163444

So guys, it's my birthday, what could I possibly wish for ??????

someone needs to break the deadlock between Bikky and Chelles!!

Welcome to our forum Chelle. It looks like you now have the official nickname of "Chelles"

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    someone needs to break the deadlock between Bikky and Chelles!!

Go on then, I dare you. (as long as it's me LOL)

Was a tough one. I had 3, then I had 4.... and I couldn't decide. Unfortunately for someone without a vote at the mo, you didn't get my third.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Welcome to our forum Chelle. It looks like you now have the official nickname of "Chelles"
    I was quoting directly from Bikky. It's also his fault she has no votes.

Musashi is romping ahead, as predicted

Originally Posted by Cathy View Post (Source)
    Musashi is romping ahead, as predicted
    The fun is seeing how many votes this Drabble is going to get. What are the writers' Drabbles like? I can't believe that the writers' forums Drabbles are any better than this one.

Yeah Michael should be taking from here for the newsletters!!!!

lol

I SO WANT my pee and poo to get on a newsletter...

lol

Eeeeeekk! Surely you mean in one.. coz well on one is easy enough...

Would you mind taking it out into the yard first?

lol

Print it out and go to the toilet with it then.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    The fun is seeing how many votes this Drabble is going to get. What are the writers' Drabbles like? I can't believe that the writers' forums Drabbles are any better than this one.
    Hah! Well, we had a couple used by Michael, but we've since been told there likely won't be more used so we're left with a bunch of unpublished ones. I'm surprised more writers don't take part in this drabbling actually - I find it rather good for flexing the creative muscles.

Originally Posted by Darren Grey View Post (Source)
    Hah! Well, we had a couple used by Michael, but we've since been told there likely won't be more used so we're left with a bunch of unpublished ones. I'm surprised more writers don't take part in this drabbling actually - I find it rather good for flexing the creative muscles.
    No... we want more non-writers joining in, so I stand a chance of coming 2nd like I did in the last one. Back to my usual standard now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast