View Poll Results: Pick Three (3) of your Favorite Drabbles!

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Goose4291 - Vacancy Required

2 20.00%
  • 02 - Rog - Bloody Tourists

3 30.00%
  • 03 - rootsrat - Frustration

3 30.00%
  • 04 - MrMogadon - Alien Invasion

3 30.00%
  • 05 - Galactic Midden - We See the Others

4 40.00%
  • 06 - insanephoton - Show time, again

1 10.00%
  • 07 - Splendour - Late for the Show

4 40.00%
  • 08 - Erik Marcaigh - He Should Have Used Google Adwords

1 10.00%
  • 09 - Frank - Thrills Without Spills

5 50.00%
  • 10 - Ian Philips - Parking fine

3 30.00%
  • 11 - Bleke - Commander's log, 3123-03-18

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest: Sightseers & Frustration

Drabble Contest: Sightseers & Frustration

What happens when a Space Chimp and a Scotsman walk into a bar after an afternoon of Sightseeing?
    They come up with some Frustrating topics for this week's drabble.

That's right, our topics this week were "Frustration" and "Sightseers". Drabblers could use either or both topics in their drabble, and we have another great set to read from this week.

So pick the best three (3) drabbles and hit that submit button!

Voting will end Sunday evening 10pm GMT, so don't dawdle! The winner(s) of this week's Drabble Contest get to choose next week's topic.

He could never get used to the constant gravity.

Telfing had been regarded as a savvy trader, plying the safe secure route from Barnard’s Star to Sol and back, quickly amassing a large fortune in credits. His balance increasing with every trip his Cobra made. Looking to increase his profits, when the time came he traded the Cobra for a Panther clipper, it’s larger hold guaranteed to increase the profits per run.

That was over a year ago. Now, still grounded at New London starport, he checked the bulletin board once more for crew advertisements from his ships empty bridge.

Maybe he'd never get used to it.

The gawpers would come, take their holos and swig their beer-bulbs, and natter. And laugh.

He'd pilot the Beluga slowly through the debris clouds - thinner now than when he was here at their creation.

Sometimes... he could close his eyes and the voices of the rubberneckers would fade for a while, and the sounds and faces of the battle would come back.

Not for long though.

No more shooting, heroism, cowardice, death. Not today anyway. Where's the toilet?

He'd like to bloody well...

Battle Tours thanks you for your custom. Tell your friends.

I was sitting in my old Sidewinder, furiously mashing the keys of the computer’s keyboard. I downloaded this new game everyone was talking about and it would not let me log in! I desperately needed to escape my problems. I’ve had a hefty bounty on my head, a big debt in Zaonce Bank and my Sidey was falling apart. A virtual world of some video game seemed a perfect solution. I’ve had enough of space…

Finally! The main menu appeared! Happy as never before, I pressed the START button. The game loaded and...

Here I was, sitting in my Sidewinder…

Watching the perpetual drone of sightseers passing by with increasing animosity, Ringo realised the truth of the phrase “You can have too much of a good thing”.

“Why did they have to discover alien ruins here, in ma home system?”

“Only thing coming through before ‘cept for meteors was haulers and miners returning from deep space.”

“Nowadays, traffic don’t hardly ever stop; and there’s always some new entri-penure opening up their fancy-schmancy business encouraging more folks to come out here”.

“Just ‘aint right. An honest bushwhacker like me is out of work with all them folks watching all the time.”

It appears like a hard edge in the fold. I see rolling, then tearing in time and again a tunnel rips through the shadows.

The fabric burns, its shrieks unheard by the Other. We suffer, we call out, wanting to snatch and stop it as briefly it shares this place; our home.

Behind the mirror the Other passes, encased like a pearl in a shell. My touch drifts like smoke.

I strain harder, grip tightening. But like voice unheard, touch just whispers in the dark.

In time though I'll break this mirror and I'll punish the Other here in Witchspace.

Show time. Another sightseeing excursion, another party of tourists. I do my best as a tour guide but it can be so frustrating at times. You can tell that some of them aren't really interested. They just want to be able to tick off the sights. It's a waste of time really. Like saying that you've 'done' Sol in an afternoon. You really haven't, you've barely scratched the surface. At least I don't have to put up with them for much longer. The tour job is just to fund me through college, when I graduate I'll get a proper job.

"Invalid destination." chirped the bright tones of the ships computer as the hyperdrive spooled down.

Rana slammed her fist into the armrest and cursed. Two months, three thousand jumps from the heart of the Empire, through pirate infested frontier systems, and those never before visited by mankind for what? To miss the biggest show in the Galaxy?

The targeted point of light five lightyears distant suddenly flared, becoming blindingly bright as the cockpit's filtering systems failed to keep up. That wasn't the promised Nova, that was a Supernova! Maybe a view from the second row wasn't so bad after all....

Advertising costs went through the roof. Kalran published his service in many high-end digital magazines like "Fortune 3300". But no calls came, and he was getting aggravated with the lack of business.

He was polishing the Orca one afternoon, thinking this was the worst idea when a couple walked up behind him and asked, "Do you provide tours?"

Kalran turned and saw tourists. Sunglasses, colorful matching shirts, and red sunburn where the skin used to be pasty white.

Considering his current cash flow situation, he asked, "Sure, where would you like to go?"

"Lave. We'd like to see the islands."

He couldn't believe his luck. The interdiction reticule had appeared again! All he was doing was hauling waste to Slough. One of the camera drones buzzing around his cockpit became very interested in his facial expression, which was now one of annoyance as the drone blocked his view of the reticule.

This was then terror when that blocked view resulted in a successful interdiction. Followed by frustration when discovering it was federal officers checking for contraband.

He wondered if the money for these sightseers was worth it. How dull must their lives be if they enjoy watching someone haul garbage.

He stood at the police cordon tape line gazing at a scorch marked Cobra, along with all the other sightseers. Obviously abandoned, the ship had landed in the middle of a park, in the middle of the largest metropolis on the planet.

How could he have been so stupid? Two numbers exchanged in the co-ordinates, and he had missed his smuggling rondezvous, landing in an 'ecologically protected environment'. Not that the fines worried him, it was the prospect of the hunters bounty he was going to aquire for failing to deliver that worried him. He turned away, frowning in frustration.

This planet is rife with gold. Unfortunately it's also rife with life. I can run the MB4 for about ten minutes before it gets clogged up with organic compounds, which have to be cleaned out manually. Heavy, dirty work, it takes half an hour.

The life is most certainly intelligent. And curious. I got fed up with them watching me clean out the machine and tried to make them go away. Turns out they get a thrill out of being chased with a shovel.

So now, if I don't chase them, they sneak up and YEOOW! …yeah, bite my bum!

Good scribblings everybody!

One of those weeks where I wanted to vote for loads of the entries again.

Originally Posted by Rog View Post (Source)
    Good scribblings everybody!

One of those weeks where I wanted to vote for loads of the entries again.
    Those are the worst weeks, IMO. I go back through the ones I really, really like (which are usually 85% of the entries), and then start picking them apart for grammar, spelling, and cohesion of the story. And when I have to eliminate one for a minor mistake, well, I just

For me it's a quite quick process. Flipping back and forth between the stories for a couple of minutes and I have a quite clear idea of which ones I like themost. I don't bother thinking about why I like them better. If two of them are equal, I'll just pick one.

Two of the ones I picked today hadn't been voted for yet.

That kind of thinking reminds me of Azimov's "The Machine That Won the War".. With most decisions it's obvious which option you should choose. If the decision is hard to make, it's because both options are equally as good. In such cases either choice is good. You might as well toss a coin to decide.

Does anyone know if there will be an audio drabble this week?

In an unrelated topic, and not pointing a finger at any Frank in particular, has anyone heard from Psykokow?
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

Originally Posted by MrMogadon View Post (Source)

In an unrelated topic, and not pointing a finger at any Frank in particular, has anyone heard from Psykokow?
    I wondered the same thing. Those Lave Radio boys have stolen our DJ/MC away from us. Let's start a poll in the main forums to see if anyone knows his whereabouts in case he's lost in space. We'll have to do it quietly as he did say he was holed up next to the planet he named but didn't want people knowing where as he's enjoying his peace and quiet

------
    edit: This is so hard to decide... you're all far too good at this

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    I wondered the same thing. Those Lave Radio boys have stolen our DJ/MC away from us. Let's start a poll in the main forums to see if anyone knows his whereabouts in case he's lost in space. We'll have to do it quietly as he did say he was holed up next to the planet he named but didn't want people knowing where as he's enjoying his peace and quiet
    Didn't he move to a new building?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicatessen_(film)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    That kind of thinking reminds me of Azimov's "The Machine That Won the War".. With most decisions it's obvious which option you should choose. If the decision is hard to make, it's because both options are equally as good. In such cases either choice is good. You might as well toss a coin to decide.
    Cool! That's my favorite author.

Pointing fingers is okay. Pulling fingers.. that's a bit more dangerous.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    Love that movie!

In general, Dominique Pinon totally rulez
    I saw your post quoting me and I pooped myself. Thought I'd been posting films in my sleep. You had me worried there until I scrolled up, phew

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    I saw your post quoting me and I pooped myself. Thought I'd been posting films in my sleep. You had me worried there until I scrolled up, phew
    Oh, sorry mate, must have removed wrong quote... I'm running between my PC and the kitchen - Xmas cookie baking is under way

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Pointing fingers is okay. Pulling fingers.. that's a bit more dangerous.

(especially if in enclosed spaces or near a naked flame)
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

(especially if in enclosed spaces or near a naked flame)
    There is no place for nakedness and debauchery in the Drabble room.

Please take that nonsense to The All New Tranquil Backwater*. Thank you.

*(Unless you don't have access. It IS an exclusive club, after all.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast