View Poll Results: Which are the 3 best Drabbles this week? Theme: Asteroids!

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Harmless Test -- Darren Grey

3 10.34%
  • Bumpy Hollow -- Cathy

7 24.14%
  • Brookes Revenge -- insanephoton

9 31.03%
  • Homecoming -- Musashi

5 17.24%
  • 'Roids -- Nagual

1 3.45%
  • Asteroids: For Gods' sake, Or is that, For God's sake? -- Bikky

4 13.79%
  • Manic Miner -- Luniticisi

11 37.93%
  • Big Bang -- Ian Phillips

9 31.03%
  • Two Can Play at that Game -- Slythe

5 17.24%
  • Game Over -- T.j.

7 24.14%
  • Donkey Bugs -- Darkoba

0 0%
  • One Small Step... -- el_tel

3 10.34%
  • Bad Signal -- Majere

0 0%
  • The Most Dangerous Part of a Vehicle -- Frank

4 13.79%
  • In The Shadow -- psychokow

2 6.90%
  • Asteroid pop -- Gavthomas

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [DRABBLES] Asteroids poll - vote now!

[DRABBLES] Asteroids poll - vote now!

As the Earth's rotation carries the big exploding ball of mostly-hydrogen out of sight once more, it is time for another poll. Choose your favourite 3 drabbles from the 16 below and cast your votes! The rules:

• Vote for 3 drabbles - no more, no less.
    • If you submitted a Drabble, do not vote for your own!
    • The winner gets (a) to choose the theme for the next week's competition, and (b) maybe cake, too (*).
    • Voting finishes after 3 more passages of the exploding-mostly-hydrogen-ball across the sky.

Remember that anyone can vote! The more the merrier, so spread the word and bribe/cajole/threaten/entreat your friends to come and vote too.

------------
    (*) No cake.

==================================================
    01. The Harmless Test -- Darren Grey

Welcome to the Elite Federations of Pilots flight test. To attain the base rank of ‘Harmless’ you must complete this simulated flight through an asteroid field. Please remain seated.

Test beginning.

Warning: Asteroid proximity.

Warning: Asteroid near miss.

Warning: Minor asteroid collision detected.

Warning: Serious asteroid collision detected.

Warning: Asteroid near miss.

Warning: Asteroid collision detected.

Warning: Lethal asteroid collision detected. Aborting test.

Test end.

Result........ Failure.

Please remain seated as the chamber is sealed and gassed. You will now be euthanized for the safety of all other pilots.

Thank you for taking the EFP flight test. Sleep well, commander.

02. Bumpy Hollow -- Cathy

Luna liked pubs. This one was an experience: a hollowed asteroid in the depleted Cragmine Belt. Steel fixtures were bolted to a rivetted floor. Through the grills Luna glimpsed raw rock.

"Drink up," said Chandra.

Luna regarded her iron cup. Its contents frothed.

"I think its reacting with the metal."

"It's supposed to." Chandra took a swig.

A bell clanked.

"Last orders already?"

"No. Buckle up."

Just in time Luna found the lap belt. A mighty impact rocked the bar. Magnets rattled.

"What was that?"

Chandra shrugged. "Poker dive? Brothel? Another pub? We collide sometimes. You get used to it."

03. Brookes Revenge -- insanephoton

Psykokow was in trouble. Brookes and Barley had found him. His Cobra was taking hits. Looking around desperately, he saw his chance to escape. He powered his ship into the asteroid belt.

The two pursuing Eagles drifted to a halt at the edge of the belt.

'Damn, we lost him. It's too dangerous to follow him in there'

Michael smiled and pressed a button.

'Warning. Shields offline, engines offline' Psykokow frantically tried his controls to no avail. He was going to crash into an asteroid. Only one thing for it. 'Escape pod offline'

'Nooooooo.....'

'Got him at last!' Michael shouted.

04. Homecoming -- Musashi

"Promise me you’ll come back," his wife had begged, "whatever it takes."

Captain Baker studied the viewscreen image of the 'Celestia' asteroid base. Over ten thousand Alliance men, women and children called it home. The military called it "strategically vital to the war effort."

At Baker's terse command, the H-bombs were unleashed. Rock and flesh alike boiled into space as, briefly, the light of two suns burned in the system.

She ran forward as her husband - at last - walked through the door. He'd survived! But when she saw his eyes she stopped, for who had returned she did not know.

05. 'Roids -- Nagual

She fired up the thrusters for a brief moment to realign her ship. Whoever thought clearing asteroid fields would be easy should be shot. Each shot made things both easier and harder. Less mass to deal with but more fly obstacles. Once she had used her FSD to plot a course, all that did was bring her right underneath a pirate that had just jumped in. Close call that one.

Still, after a few months she was getting better. Careful thrusting was the key, and No! Oh no! Too close, too close...

Boom!

Game over.

There's always tomorrow she thought.

06. Asteroids: For Gods' sake, Or is that, For God's sake? -- Bikky

The contest was heating up. Normally a game played one on one had started to expand. It happened when one of the competitors felt lonely and joined in a friendly match and made it three ways then it went to four. Now there’s a mass of players, All destroying each other’s marbles around the game ring, with a maximum of five in play at any one time.
    ‘OI’ Went up a shout, ‘That’s Cheating.’ Came a call. ‘There’s a size limit you know.’
    ‘I’ve changed the rules. Saturn is now playable.’ Responded Zues master player of “Marbles of the Gods.”

07. Manic Miner -- Luniticisi

The battle for Asteroid PX-9, the last remaining source of Erersion ore was over, but the consequences for the planet below were dire.
    Battle ship 'Dark-Sun', Due to massive engine failure, had listed into Asteroid PX-9 and sent it into a rapidly decaying orbit.

Dave ejected his cargo and raced toward the asteroid, his computer vocalising the same line over and over.

"Extinction level event detected"

Armed with only mining lasers, Dave went to work.
    Small chucks of the asteroid hurtled toward the ship.

He was nearly there.

The announcement came

"Cargo full"

"Good haul, let's get out of here"

08. Big Bang -- Ian Phillips

He lifted the brochure, glancing at the catch line.

"An event so rare that you will NEVER get the chance to see it. A ‘dinosaur killer’ asteroid hitting a planet.
    UNLESS YOU BOOK NOW!"

"You know darling, the last one on old Terra was 65 million years ago. We are so lucky to have this opportunity".

His wife glanced round, jaded eyes taking in the dining lounge and viewing screens. Filled with the rich elite from the empire. Money was no object to them when hiring a luxury berth on the liner for this trip, the ultimate in disaster tourism.

09. Two Can Play at that Game -- Slythe

Imperial Admiral Infumum allowed himself a rare smile. His engineers had just completed their work on the large asteroid. In a moment he would give a speech to his men before pushing the button that fired the thrusters. This would propel the asteroid across the system to pulverize the Federal base. All totally deniable of course.

"Sir... I don't remember that other asteroid being there." His aide-de-camp pointed through the window. "I think it's getting bigger."

Infumum had time to glare helplessly at the words crudely painted on the other rock before the collision crushed him; "FEDERATION PROPERTY, KEEP OUT!"

10. Game Over -- T.j.

The Cobra darted and dived through the asteroid field, a ballet of pure piloting skill.

His pursuer fired narrowly missing his engines as he pirouetted elegantly through the miniscule gap.

'I'll show these youngsters a thing or two' he muttered as he executed a barrel roll, skimming by a hairs breadth a jagged outcrop of ice.

He performed an even more audacious move through the middle of another asteroid just as the missile hit his ship's stern. He gracefully slammed into the side of the particularly large asteroid.

Game over.

David threw down his XBox controller disgusted. "Brookes, you're fired!"

11. Donkey Bugs -- Darkoba

"What are they, Doctor?" he asked the vet.

The vet plucked another tiny creature from the donkey's back; looked at it through the microscope. It had a strange, doughnut shape, with clawed legs and a mosquito-like sucking tube.

"These are ectoparasites from Tiesla, particularly attracted to donkey fur; I wonder how they got so far from home."

"Are they dangerous? I need my donkey to drive the mill."

"I'll give you a cream to rub in. It should solve the problem within a week."

On the jar it read "Wear gloves. Rub well in. For the treatment of Toroids."

12. One Small Step... -- el_tel

The discovery of ECO1 changed everything.

On the cusp of becoming an interplanetary species, the human race was to be wiped out by an asteroid.

Probably.

If the fusion rockets were attached in time, the fatal collision could be avoided and the Earth spared.
    The experts said it would work, and the people believed them simply because they had nothing else to believe in. The more sceptical thought the proposal to be a long-shot at best, if not downright ludicrous.

Nevertheless, the hopes of an entire planet rested on an untested, hurriedly-developed propulsion technology the scientists called 'Frame Shift Drive'.

13. Bad Signal -- Majere

Emergency! Emergency! Second Technician Forrester to station security immediately.
    “Sir?”
    “Ah, Forrester, you took you time, we have been looking for you everywhere. Now, what have you been up to with our top secret defence drones?"
    “Err, I don't think I understand Sir.”
    “Come on, confess!” The head of security's eyes narrowed.
    Forrester tilted his head slightly in bemusement, staring out of the window behind his interrogator. The skies were filled with tumbling, rocky death.
    “We had an urgent message from a scout, the signal was poor but we managed to extract one phrase: “Watch out, Fozza has the droids”

14. The Most Dangerous Part of a Vehicle -- Frank

"Pops'll go nuts whens he sees this"

"Well he should've gotten us that Krait"

The boys admired their handiwork. It's quite an achievement to turn a clapped-out Python thruster into a space bike. Joe turned to admire their girlfriends. "Who fancies riding pillion?"

Mavis looked out at the dense field of floating rocks. She couldn't see any paths between them. She looked at the "bike". It was just a rocket motor with a saddle welded to it. But the scariest thing was the enthusiastic gleam in Joe's eyes as he leered at them.

She pushed her friend forwards. "Esther rides!"

15. In The Shadow -- psychokow

The Ship listed and muffled alarms tried to reach his brain.
    He was alive and the cargo safe for now... but what was the damage...

He started to shut down the extra systems to divert power to his shields and life support.

That bounty hunter had nearly finished him... persistent little blighter.
    Faking exploding and hiding is alwas a last resort and the damage caused in making it beleiveable may have them stranded here for a while. Still the huge rock provides excellent cover...

The systems rebooted, lights coming on and the radar, still working burst
    into life.

*BLEEP*

‘****!!!’

16. Asteroid pop -- Gavthomas

"Cmdr's log year 3315 serial 274. We have reached the Vertex system and are in the orbit of the planet Aster. The interesting thing about Aster humanoids, or 'Asteroids', is that they have only learned English from various pop songs received on radiowaves transmitted by Earthlings through space. Descending..."

Cmdr Stryder walked down the ship's steps and shook hands with the chief.

"Good to meet you Sir"
    "Pleased to meet you...Hope you guess my name!"
    "Err...Chief...Allen?"
    "That's not my name, that's not my name"
    "This is a bit weird...."
    "Please don't go, don't go, don't go awayyyy"

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor."

Another great selection people!
    Thanks!

With 12 votes in, it's a three-way race between Luniticisi, Ian Phillips and me at the front of the pack, with Cathy chasing us only 1 place behind.

Gonna be a close one this week... exciting

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor."

With 15 votes in, TJ has moved up from behind to join the front pack. Now lead by Ian Phillips with Big Bang, 1 place ahead. Insanephoton is only 1 place behind the pack, will he find the votes needed to close the gap?

"the last one on old Terra was 65,000,000 million years ago"

That's a helluva loooong time - anybody else spot the discrepancy? Doesn't that invalidate the entry and automatically move the votes to me?

Great drabble though.

To go beyond (in Kaze no Uta)... to drabble a bit ... and then return

Another good lunchtime spent.

These are getting harder to separate, might have to up the votes to 5 per person, just to make life easy
    Pew Pew LazoR!
    You Tube clips going on at YouTube

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)

That's a helluva loooong time - anybody else spot the discrepancy? Doesn't that invalidate the entry and automatically move the votes to me?

Great drabble though.
    It is not a drabble criteria that it makes sense (read some of them! ), only that it has 100 words, although I will admit that that mistake is a little bit sloppy!
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)

Great drabble though.
    I read it as though the date was in the future, and it was stating that man would probably be wiped out by the asteroid, but the lucky invention won the day and we also made spaceflight because of it... Like a history lesson in the Elite universe timeline.
    Pew Pew LazoR!

Maybe Musashi could remove the zero's for me? (Pretty please)
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Originally Posted by Bikky View Post (Source)
    I read it as though the date was in the future, and it was stating that man would probably be wiped out by the asteroid, but the lucky invention won the day and we also made spaceflight because of it... Like a history lesson in the Elite universe timeline.
    Then I've just re-read, and realised we're talking about different drabbles. So just ignore me.
    Pew Pew LazoR!

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Maybe Musashi could remove the zero's for me? (Pretty please)

Did it as I was wandering past.

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    Did it as I was wandering past.
    Are you never frightened by the power you wield?
    Cathy

Wow, just 2 votes separating 6 entries - this is tight stuff!
    Tales from the Frontier - an anthology of official Elite: Dangerous stories

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by Cathy View Post (Source)
    Are you never frightened by the power you wield?

Hmmm??? What??? Sorry I was just checking on how many votes I had and who had voted.....for me....

(I can't really see that)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast