Page 1 of 5 123 Last

Thread: nVidia display driver crashing

nVidia display driver crashing

I'm running the 347.09 driver. I keep getting the error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I get a blank screen, but audio continues to play. I have to alt-tab to desktop and kill ED with the task manager. I've had this 3 or 4 times already this morning.
    My system: Lenovo Y410P, 14" 1600x900 display, i7 4700mq, nVidia GT750M SLI 2GBx2 GDDR5 , 16GB DDR3, new-er install of Windows 8.1 pro. Event viewer shows the following details for the error 68 times in the last 24 hours:

"The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
    Variable String to Large"

I also have the following error which appears to be related to the Intel iGPU:

"Faulting application name: igfxCUIService.exe, version: 6.15.10.3960, time stamp: 0x54299ab0
    Faulting module name: igfxCUIService.exe, version: 6.15.10.3960, time stamp: 0x54299ab0
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000012bb8
    Faulting process id: 0x430
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d01c84004f06b8
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\igfxCUIService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\igfxCUIService.exe
    Report Id: 3e8378f4-8877-11e4-8286-a0a8cdebe09c
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: "

I also have this warning 16 times this morning: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What the heck is going on on my system?

Do you have the latest drivers installed? You can use GPU-Z to check the GPU temperature:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-gpu-z-v0-8-0/

I'm running the latest nvidia driver. I've set the game to target 60fps in the graphics settings which results in ~50% GPU load. I see 60-70*c on my cards, which is more than good for mobile GPUs.

I wonder if this is related to my issue, where it seems to auto-focus on the desktop.. I also have 347.09, on a GTX 660 TI and Intel i5 2400, 16gb RAM as well but running Windows 7.

I also looked at my event view, which I hadn't thought of since this error usually pops up on my display (i.e. when I was trying to mod Skyrim XD), but I've got a significant number.. and they all correspond to when the game blackscreened.
    Also, several times only a few seconds prior to the graphics driver error, I get this:

"The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
    Graphics Exception: ESR 0x405840=0xa2040a0e"

where the driver nvlddmkm is the Display Driver. It seems to be related to how long I let the screen flash black (then to desktop, then black again) before alt-tabbing to desktop and using task manager to kill ED.

Edit: Just wanted to say I'm running at a fairly steady 60fps with Vysnc on, about 100fps with it off, and around 60-65*C for a dedicated card (watching in real time with MSI Afterburner). Changing my graphics settings doesn't seem to change whether this happens or not.

Do you have SLI enabled?

Checking it up right now Spion, will see if it has any effect. Thanks, for some reason that didn't turn up in my searches. >.<

SLI is enabeled. Power plan is High Performance, PCI-E power saving is disabled. I just updated to 347.09 this morning, and I did so with the "clean install" box ticked. Previously I was running 344.75, and had a few crashes there too. I found the " igfxCUIService.exe" service and disabled it. I'll play later tonight and see if that made a difference.

Alright, Just posting what I've tried so far so I don't forget:

1. I went through the link SpionKop posted, did all but disable Aero (more on that in a second).
    2. Went through msconfig again, hid all windows services, and disabled everything but Graphics drivers (I've since re-enabled antivirus/malware as the issue still occurred).
    3. Uninstalled and reinstalled all graphics-related drivers (Clean install option)
    4. uninstalled and reinstalled Elite

I still got the issue, BUT progress! Instead of a display error, I now get this particular events in the Event Viewer in lieu of the previous errors (At the time of the crash, occurring when the crash did):

First: A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (4)
    Then: The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application.

Finally: Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1:
    P2:
    P3:
    P4:
    P5:
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WD-20141220-1945.dmp
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER-2515079-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Windows\Temp\WER6152.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_0_0_cab_0b566161

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: d13f0b95-88c3-11e4-b72e-c86000c160db

Now, I've found some info online on this new set of errors that suggest its might be a Windows Display Composition thing, which may be fixed by disabling windows Aero- First I'm going to try disabling it in the properties of the Elite Launcher+Elite exe files, then if that doesn't work I'll disable Aero.

Edit: checking the "Disable Desktop Composition" box in the compatability tab for the EliteDangerous32.exe (as well as the Launcher.exe, but IDK if that's necessary) and running in Fullscreen mode fixed the display drivers/desktop composition crash for me. Give this a try first if its an option for windows 8, Jason.

Tomorrow maybe I'll start bringing other stuff like Steam, etc back on while playing to see if any of those cause issues.

Thumbs up Disable Desktop Composition FTW!

Originally Posted by Sivuden View Post (Source)
    Edit: checking the "Disable Desktop Composition" box in the compatability tab for the EliteDangerous32.exe (as well as the Launcher.exe, but IDK if that's necessary) and running in Fullscreen mode fixed the display drivers/desktop composition crash for me.
    Bingo! That fixes the problem for me as well (on Windows 7 btw)

The error started appearing just yesterday after I sold my Sidewinder and bought a Hauler. Some seconds after a jump into a system the game CTD'd. After that, I could not start Open Play anymore, as soon as the rotating Hauler appeared, the game crashed with the notorious "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" message.

Tried everything to no avail but Sivuden's fix works for me!

Thanks!

Attachment 5630I don't have the "Disable desktop composition" box on 8.1. Disabling the Intel HD service "igfxCUIservice.exe" seems to have helped on my end. I played for 2 or 3 hours last night with one crash, but the symptoms were different.

Edit: it appears disabling desktop composition disables Aero. I don't believe Aero is present in windows 8.1.

Have you tried making Elite run as admin or in compatability mode? Whats' the new crash you're getting?

Nope, nevermind, same nvlkddm error. Except now that I've disabled the Intel HD service the game crash is accompanied with a Direct3D unable to something error, that asks if I meet minimum system requirements (I do). The only option here is an Abort button.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I was having frequent crashes and was finally able to resolve it (I think) by turning on the frame limiter in options (I set it to 60). I'm running the latest Nvidia beta drivers on a 660 gti on an i7 920 2.67 ghz with 8gb of ram.

I've been playing all night trying to do the things that always triggered my crashes and I've had no problems at all.

The latest release version is 344.75, so I would guess that you must be running the beta version.

Page 1 of 5 123 Last