Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: -How- do you find the good trade routes...in-game only?

-How- do you find the good trade routes...in-game only?

Okay, I know there are a lot of trade tools out there, web-based. That said, I'm interested in learning how to figure out/find really profitable routes like I keep hearing about (270k in 11min?). Best I've done is a three-jump 160k round trip that takes about 15min or so, as it's 3500Ls from nav beacon to station in this system. Well, unless you count the Seeking Luxuries 100k at a time shots, but you want to slit your wrists after about ten of those, if not sooner. I want to make a decent sum, but that, convenient as it sort of is, is also maddening.

So, I'm to figure out how people find really good areas, etc. -Not-, "Hey, where should I go?" I've seen references to a lot of systems. I want to learn how to fish, not just be given a fish.

I have a Type-6. Working towards a Type-7 or an Asp (not quite sure which, yet). Also happen to have a Cobra, dual-fitted for mining and combat. I bought that little thing whose name I can't remember, to try combat and break up the monotony of trade.

But seriously...I want to find really profitable runs...say, 200-250k in a 3-4 jump round trip between two stations would make me happy, as long as there's minimal SC time between nav beacon and station. I found this one place which sells palladium really cheaply, but it's g 50k Ls from the beacon. That is insane time wastage.

Any tips?

I just used to take photos of each stations commodities as I came across them while doing missions, by the time I was ready to trade it was pretty easy to find some good matches. Was making 200k on a 2 jump run from this.

Probably easier ways but this worked for me. If only there was some way to make it less tedious though

Originally Posted by Vorxion View Post (Source)
    Okay, I know there are a lot of trade tools out there, web-based. That said, I'm interested in learning how to figure out/find really profitable routes like I keep hearing about (270k in 11min?). Best I've done is a three-jump 160k round trip that takes about 15min or so, as it's 3500Ls from nav beacon to station in this system. Well, unless you count the Seeking Luxuries 100k at a time shots, but you want to slit your wrists after about ten of those, if not sooner. I want to make a decent sum, but that, convenient as it sort of is, is also maddening.

So, I'm to figure out how people find really good areas, etc. -Not-, "Hey, where should I go?" I've seen references to a lot of systems. I want to learn how to fish, not just be given a fish.

I have a Type-6. Working towards a Type-7 or an Asp (not quite sure which, yet). Also happen to have a Cobra, dual-fitted for mining and combat. I bought that little thing whose name I can't remember, to try combat and break up the monotony of trade.

But seriously...I want to find really profitable runs...say, 200-250k in a 3-4 jump round trip between two stations would make me happy, as long as there's minimal SC time between nav beacon and station. I found this one place which sells palladium really cheaply, but it's g 50k Ls from the beacon. That is insane time wastage.

Any tips?
    Fly to a bunch of neighboring systems, say 5 or 6, and take notes at each. Whats in high demand and what is in good supply. Once you have your notes sit down and work out a route. If nothing jumps out branch out a bit and take notes on some other systems. Currently I have a 5 station round trip that nets me 400k profit in a type 6. The enitre route circuit takes just under half an hour.

The most accurate method I've used is:

First, use the galaxy map to identify a pair/group of Extraction, Industrial, and High Tech systems relatively close to each other. You're looking for higher population systems with the stations/outposts relatively close to the hyperjump insertion point.

Next, pilgrimage to the stations and outposts within the systems, notating which commodities are in highest supply/demand and their prices. Typically Gold, Palladium, Imp. Slaves, and Performance Enhancers/Progenitor Cells.

Once you've compiled the commodity data, look for the most efficient trade route within the network of systems and get to work.

Time one round trip, and use it to calculate your Ton-Credit/Hr (how much profit each unit of cargo space is generating per hour.) If your tCr/Hr is around 7-8k, then you've got yourself a sweet honeypot. If you're pulling less than 7k, you may want to keep looking.

Using this method, I've recently come upon a 3-system trade loop with all stations within 100Ls of the main star with only a single jump for each leg.

Good luck, and Fly Safe, Commander!

I look for a high output outpost selling metals near a Wealthy industrial and then hopefully a wealthy Agriculture post near.
    Buy metals from outpost take to industrial
    Buy equipment from industrial and take it to agriculture
    Buy food from agriculture and take it to outpost.

This is my recipe for finding trades. Hope it helps.

As Ayerc says I believe Palladium/Platinum (Refinery) to High Tech and Prog Cells back can yield some of the best profit, but that whole thing is a fallacy as there seem to be no High Tech stations with a high supply of Prog Cells and there are no refineries with a high supply of palladium. I have spent the past 3 nights scouring areas 200LY from Lave and SOL trying to find something nice, I must have looked at 25 systems, all of high population (well in the high millions) and it's all medium, everywhere. Now that can be fine too if you're willing to settle for the run of the mill 2000cr/t runs but I'm trying to find these epeen routes people are bragging about. I'm close to calling BS on that honestly.
    i7-4970 - 16GB - GTX 980/12GB - Win10

* First I look for a high population hi-tech system. Then I look to see if it has possible "feeder" agricultural / industrial / extraction systems nearby, preferably within one jump.
    * Then I visit, and explore all immediately neighbouring unexplored systems, in addition to all previously identified "feeder" systems.
    * I record all the data in Commander's Log - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74171 .
    * I do not limit my trading universe to only trading, for instance, Progenitor Cells and Palladium. There are opportunities out there that are a) medium supply to high demand and b) other goods that will yield > Cr$ 1,000 / tonne each way.

It would be nice if you could take a snapshot of each commodity list you visit and store it in-game. Not that it would update at all, it would make only store the info from where you were there last. Then you could cycle through your past destinations (say, up to 50) to see if you visited a place worth going back to to sell

It's really easy. You always have the same, high priced (> 3500) commodities. You trade them between stations / outposts with high supply and high demand.

You go to corners of inhabited space where there is no traffic.

Then set up routes like: extraction <=> high tech
    refinery => industrial => agricultural => extraction
    refinery <=> hightech (hard to find a non-refinery high tech system, though)
    Industrial <=> Agricultural ( hard to pull off, need to do marine equipment and tobacco).

It is really really easy to get 1600 Cr. / t on the round trip. Better is harder, you need systems with nice population (> 10 mil). But you usually find a system within 2 jumps as soon as you start looking.

Edit: oh, and btw.... the planet a station is orbiting has its distance to the sun is given in AU. 1 AU is an astronomical unit, which is the distance from Earth to Sol, or around 500 Ls. So you can see from the system map when looking for routes how far the station is from the sun.

From my FAQ in sig:
    Trading/Navigation
    Dealer: I can't find a good trade route! Help me!
    The best trade routes require 18 LY or more. If you look at the trade routes on the map, you will see all the routes that NPC traders exhaust for you and drain profits. Use the trade routes to find where goods are NOT delivered. For example, find a large Extraction economy that has no 7k+ medicines or appliances.

A good trade route will net you 2k+ profit per tonne round trip. For even larger profits you may have to jump twice from station to station.
    Earl Cmdr Kamenjar -- Master/Broker/Ranger
    ED FAQ for New and Experienced players

indeed high tech -> almost anywhere and then refinery -> high tech

My run is refinery / ag big population system to a high tech / refinery system and I get about 220 - 250K profit round trip which takes about 10 - 15 minutes in total (depending if I want to do an in station trip to get progentors at a better price), so between 700 and 900K per hour as an average or 7K to 9K per ton with the 100 ton cargo setup on my T6.

Latlely I got bored of trading so did some bounty hunting and joined the fight against the crusaders in lave, right now I brought another type 6 in leesti and am doing a round trip rares run for fun and profit, then will get back in my viper and head off to zeesze and confront these empirical scum yet again

I just need to say that these are all awesome kick- suggestions!

Originally Posted by Ayerc View Post (Source)
    The most accurate method I've used is:

First, use the galaxy map to identify a pair/group of Extraction, Industrial, and High Tech systems relatively close to each other. You're looking for higher population systems with the stations/outposts relatively close to the hyperjump insertion point.

Next, pilgrimage to the stations and outposts within the systems, notating which commodities are in highest supply/demand and their prices. Typically Gold, Palladium, Imp. Slaves, and Performance Enhancers/Progenitor Cells.
    This is pretty much how I do it too. Beryllium, indium, and resonating separators are also potentially high profit goods.

I did once find a good route trading tobacco from a agriculture to a industrial and returning with marine equipment.

Originally Posted by _Flin_ View Post (Source)
    Edit: oh, and btw.... the planet a station is orbiting has its distance to the sun is given in AU. 1 AU is an astronomical unit, which is the distance from Earth to Sol, or around 500 Ls. So you can see from the system map when looking for routes how far the station is from the sun.
    Did not know this. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by _Flin_ View Post (Source)
    Didnt know that, thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast