100,000 CQC Kills

Edit - Just adding to this, I have now been in queue for a TDM this evening for the past 25 minutes. How is this even a thing?

If there is no TDM you can always try DM.. Much better chance to find a game there.
Does this mean that the rest of us now stand a cat-in-hell's chance of gettings some kills and winning some matches? I've been killed by OP so many times I've lost count. Got to the point that if I saw Musk in a match, I'd leave as being someone's bottom feeder is just not fun..
Seriously though, great achievement. From going up against you lots of times, I know your skill level.
You are in the squadron that is in 2nd place in squadron leaderboards.. we are not giving up on those trophies just yet.

I've killed maybe 10k NPCs...and they line up for you. I'm...stunned, what an achievement. How are you in fully engineered ships? Love to give you a go some time. :)

I've died to some of the best too, and some of the worst... Although I do remember a match where I accidentally blew a player up...

Hmmm... I'll have to join in a little more during peak hours :)

I love how people still try to insist CQC is dead and impossible to get matches in, when it's obvious they don't actually play it themselves :D
Ozric, it's dead. It's completely dead. 14 minutes to get a match with the same 15 people from 10am to 7pm?

If you actually believe that CQC is a vibrant, well-used Elite feature, then you are utterly delusional. I'm sorry to say that, and I understand that you have to stick up for the game, but it's objective fact that it is the least-played game mode and the wait times to get matches are absurd. Because no one plays it.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ozric, it's dead. It's completely dead. 14 minutes to get a match with the same 15 people from 10am to 7pm?

If you actually believe that CQC is a vibrant, well-used Elite feature, then you are utterly delusional. I'm sorry to say that, and I understand that you have to stick up for the game, but it's objective fact that it is the least-played game mode and the wait times to get matches are absurd. Because no one plays it.
OK fair enough, I guess the OP magicked all those kills. I guess all those people on the CQC Discord are in my imagination too. But then I suppose I am delusional...

Oh and by the way I don't have to stick up for the game at all, and if you'd read even some of my posts you would see that I'm quite open about my feelings :D

OK fair enough, I guess the OP magicked all those kills. I guess all those people on the CQC Discord are in my imagination too. But then I suppose I am delusional...
[...]

That's not at all what he said though, is it?

You two just have a different number in mind about when it can be called "dead". About a dozen players on any given day in a MP arena style game really isn't that great.

Oh and by the way I don't have to stick up for the game at all, and if you'd read even some of my posts you would see that I'm quite open about my feelings :D
Think about the hill you're dying on here for a sec.

@MUSKETEER picked up those kills playing CQC every day for 2 years, and I'm sure there are people in Discord. Elite is a massive game with tens or even hundreds of thousands of players. I had to wait an average of 14 minutes to get DMs and TDMs that were literally never full, which is completely abysmal for a "large" flagship title like Elite. The fact that I was in DMs with 2, 3 and 4 other people was pathetic. The pool of active players is incredibly small.

You two just have a different number in mind about when it can be called "dead". About a dozen players on any given day in a MP arena style game really isn't that great.
This. I mean, just this. CQC is a small feature that a handful of Elite players actually use, because it is unreasonable skinny in every way.

The middle ground would be the best meeting place...

CQC doesn't have a massive player base, but it does have players active in varying numbers... Calling it Dead is technically incorrect, which is where the argument lies, as to be 'dead' would imply that no-one uses it...

The middle ground would be the best meeting place...

CQC doesn't have a massive player base, but it does have players active in varying numbers... Calling it Dead is technically incorrect, which is where the argument lies, as to be 'dead' would imply that no-one uses it...

True, the middle ground is usually the preferred place.

But I think in this case context is also important. When people call a MP game "dead", they usually don't mean that literally not a single person is still interested in it. Just that the player population is too low/lower than it should be. Obviously that exact number is subjective.

Hm, even on a Saturday night? Usually that's alright for fighting and to get a little action in.
I really want to like CQC. I do. It's right up my alley. Dogfighting FA off in small ships with tight turns around stations and asteroids. I really love that stuff. It's like a little slice of classic sci-fi space combat. But yes, I am not exaggerating. Last night was painful. 37 minutes for a pop that saw me vs 3 other people in a DM. After that I tried to get a TDM because I like that format, but after 15 minutes in that queue I just gave up.

If the games were popping left, right and center, I could forgive the total lack of rewards and customization and bells and whistles, but with these wait times combined with never a full match, there's just no incentive to do it again. It's like banging your head against a wall.

At 6pm on a Saturday night, I waited for a match to pop for 37 minutes. When it did, it was me and 3 other people.
Yeah, the team modes basically need organising one way or another. And lacking in-game tools to do that, it's not straightforward.

Deathmatch is easier to get going.

The problem is the structure of it, and someone at Frontier not quite thinking through the numbers enough. For each mode to have a consistent decent match going that you could join in, there needs to be lots of matches in the 6-8 size going on so that you can get into one quickly. If we say a minute is acceptable average queueing time to get the first match [1] then you need about seven deathmatches and fifteen of each of the others going on. That's about 250 simultaneous players - even at "trough" times - or probably well over 6,000 daily players.

Well, CGs - which are considered "not dead" and indeed their current absence is the subject of regular complaints - only get half that nowadays. So making a mode which required "popular CG" levels of regular participation to work ... a bit optimistic there. But they haven't restructured it to work better with what it does get either.

[1] The often-asked-for feature is to let people queue for that initial match from the main game (in a similar way to how multicrew works) so that it doesn't matter so much if it does take 15 minutes because you can be doing other things in the meantime.

The often-asked-for feature is to let people queue for that initial match from the main game (in a similar way to how multicrew works) so that it doesn't matter so much if it does take 15 minutes because you can be doing other things in the meantime.
My god, why is this not a thing? You're only queuing if you're doing something that you can depart from for a match anyway.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

And neither was his implication of what I said. You can go down that rabbit hole alone thanks.

Think about the hill you're dying on here for a sec.

@MUSKETEER picked up those kills playing CQC every day for 2 years, and I'm sure there are people in Discord. Elite is a massive game with tens or even hundreds of thousands of players. I had to wait an average of 14 minutes to get DMs and TDMs that were literally never full, which is completely abysmal for a "large" flagship title like Elite. The fact that I was in DMs with 2, 3 and 4 other people was pathetic. The pool of active players is incredibly small.

This. I mean, just this. CQC is a small feature that a handful of Elite players actually use, because it is unreasonable skinny in every way.

Maybe they have you blocked 😘

I'm very sorry you struggle so hard to get matches, but you can't say a mode is dead because you fail to find matches, though others clearly can. Including the OP 🤷‍♂️ Seriously, join the Discord it might help you.

you can't say a mode is dead because you fail to find matches
Mark-Wahlberg-Confused.gif

What?

Top Bottom