100% Proof Planets have lost their colour. [UPDATED with official Dev reason and plan to improve]

I truly understand now(in a personal way) "Ignorance is bliss" I have similar frustration in areas of my own expertise/obsession. Table tennis was almost ruined for me. I'm sorry for your frustration. But I appreciate the lesson!

Well you DO know how FD makes changes.

NMS to arrive post response to Mr Ants request.

This is my great worry as well. People are way too concerned with the color wheel and not concerned enough will all the other dimensions that make a planet surface interesting or breathtaking, and also REAL. Yes the colors need to be changed to something more believable than the current incidental default beige, which mostly should be default grey.

Frontier should be paying attention the biggest attention to the posts by Malefant, since they describe the real problem accurately and establish a baseline for the solution. I hope malefant makes his own thread to help focus the forums, because we need a more complete and accurate solution, not just a color adjustment, though a color correction is definitely warranted.

Agreed. And let's not forget all those icy bodies with temperatures of 500K+.

Found this one 20ls from the star. Very big, hot and beige iceball

2aRtNLi.jpg

A4zVFwS.jpg

And have you seen the icy bodies with surface pressure of over 11000 atmospheres?

Rings should be stable for a long time, there's no reason why a body would "eat" its rings (OK, ring particles could decay, but they're usually replenished from impacts within the ring). Plus rings could form when a planet forms, or they could form later on. More ring variety would be really good too, BTW - all the rings in ED seem to look like variations of Saturn's, rather than like Jupiter's dusty ring or Uranus' thin rings. And their compositions are odd too, planets deep in the outer zone might have metallic rings which is very unlikely.

There already is some ring variation in game, but i don't know how common they are or should be, i posted a few here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...raphy-Thread?p=5186404&viewfull=1#post5186404

Please first watch this very short video before reading the rest of the post. This provides both proof and explanation on the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhjYXlDubw

-----------------------------
---------------

As of Patch 2.2 many players noticed that vast numbers of the worlds throughout the galaxy had been changed. Where once the worlds had a variety of colours, from greys, to whites to greens - they are now all variations on the colour brown. Players have come to call this the beigeification of the galaxy.

It is true that Ice Worlds still have huge colour variation. Many rocky worlds also can be found in yellows and reds. This change primarily affects metal content worlds. However the moons in this video are rocky worlds, and so are proof the change is not just limited to metal worlds.

For further information and evidence please see the following forum threads:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-lost-their-colour-and-are-all-beige-or-brown
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...o-your-Planets-(Episode-2-Beige-Strikes-Back)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/304905-Planets-in-2-2-50-shades-of-beige
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rch-for-Color!-(sequel-to-The-Wrath-of-Beige)

-------------------

And to Frontier: The exploration community as a whole - (and I suspect much of the wider playerbase), would greatly appreciate an official response on this issue. It is something which has caused quite a lot of discussion both here on the forums, as well as in the general community.

A few words explaining what has happened, and if we could perhaps see a return to the original planetary colour variations (and if possible, what this means for the future of these landable planets) truly would mean a huge amount.

As another example, this is a metal content planet from v2.0 of the game. It is now very hard to find this type of geology on metal worlds. Please see Erimus' post for further details on changes on planetary geometry:

http://i.imgur.com/6zTTZoX.jpg

Planet location is: PYROOMEE LH-R C6-11 B 2

Further examples from Erimus of planetary geology that can no longer be found in the game:

Erimus' Post: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ease-respond?p=5171601&viewfull=1#post5171601

EDIT: Just a general note here to say the video above is unlisted. This means it cannot be seen when browsing my channel, and does not go out to subscribers. It is intended for illustrative purposes to highlight and prove in-game changes. I just want to make it as clear as possible that this is not a case of me stirring up the muck, or demanding change. I'm just hoping for a bit of information and clarification. :)

Agreed

Found this one 20ls from the star. Very big, hot and beige iceball

Yikes. What was the star type, out of curiosity? I guess it couldn't have been a neutron star if it was that close (that's where I often see these "molten ice worlds"). Which of course wouldn't look like landable planets at all, they'd look more like venus or a water worlds.

And have you seen the icy bodies with surface pressure of over 11000 atmospheres?

Yep, I've seen worlds with atmospheric pressures of a few million atmospheres too (and surface temperatures > 6000 K, which is truly ridiculous).

There already is some ring variation in game, but i don't know how common they are or should be, i posted a few here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...raphy-Thread?p=5186404&viewfull=1#post5186404

Wow, I didn't know there was a dedicated explorers screenshot thread here, that's awesome! :)

Frontier should be paying attention the biggest attention to the posts by Malefant, since they describe the real problem accurately and establish a baseline for the solution. I hope malefant makes his own thread to help focus the forums, because we need a more complete and accurate solution, not just a color adjustment, though a color correction is definitely warranted.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :). Though I'm not sure I'd know where to start on such a thread, or if anyone would listen, or if the usual thing where it gets drowned out in noise from people who think it isn't a problem would happen.

This is my great worry as well. People are way too concerned with the color wheel and not concerned enough will all the other dimensions that make a planet surface interesting or breathtaking, and also REAL. Yes the colors need to be changed to something more believable than the current incidental default beige, which mostly should be default grey.

Low hanging fruit.

Look how much effort it takes to get feedback, let alone solutions. In that regard it makes sense to aim low.

Yes the colors need to be changed to something more believable than the current incidental default beige, which mostly should be default grey.

LOL, can you imagine the forum outrage if FD changed all planets from beige to grey! :D

Please FD, do this! Seriously, it will be worth it for the lulz!

I just hope elite can someday compete with Space Engine. https://youtu.be/ve0Bpmx8Fk0
Their procedural algorithm seems far superior.

space engine is indeed stunning. I am not a dev so i have no idea how much extra grunt that would take over and above what ED manages..... dont forget FD have to run a game on top of their milkyway simulation where as SE does not have to worry about such things.

Does space engine do VR? if so i must take a look.

space engine is indeed stunning. I am not a dev so i have no idea how much extra grunt that would take over and above what ED manages..... dont forget FD have to run a game on top of their milkyway simulation where as SE does not have to worry about such things.

Does space engine do VR? if so i must take a look.

The developer (yes, I think it's just one guy) blogged about VR support last year. TBH Space Engine development seems a bit quiet and slow. It's probably only a hobby project for the developer.

The developer (yes, I think it's just one guy) blogged about VR support last year. TBH Space Engine development seems a bit quiet and slow. It's probably only a hobby project for the developer.

Yeah, it is stunning. I would like to see a dev kit released for Space Engine to allow others to build on his brilliant work. It's on the roadmap, but way down the list of priorities as I remember.

LOL, can you imagine the forum outrage if FD changed all planets from beige to grey! :D

Please FD, do this! Seriously, it will be worth it for the lulz!

Context matters.

In the context of the rest of my post you quoted (but edited out), I think the bulk of the forum would actually be thrilled. ;)

Context matters.

In the context of the rest of my post you quoted (but edited out), I think the bulk of the forum would actually be thrilled. ;)

it would sure generate more discussion (which in turns the devs would ignore anyway) and stick to their roadmap, so in the end it doesnt really matter

it would sure generate more discussion (which in turns the devs would ignore anyway) and stick to their roadmap, so in the end it doesnt really matter

That only works if Frontier's roadmap is already roadmaped with a true realistic vision for planets (not flat beige), and the suggestions of myself and malefant are redundant. Would be thrilled if that was the case. :)

Last edited:
Wasn't the answer of the developers in the last such thread something like:

We fixed a bug that made the planets grey. Now they are beige like they are supposed to be.

Or do I remember this incorrectly?

Wasn't the answer of the developers in the last such thread something like:

We fixed a bug that made the planets grey. Now they are beige like they are supposed to be.

Or do I remember this incorrectly?

If that's the case they went from more realistic to less realistic. And they should change it back. Metallic and rocky planets should be default grey and splotchy (with exceptions). Not mate beige.

Can you provide a quote to that effect that the intention was to change it from grey to beige?

Last edited:
Top Bottom