2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Folks don't seem to realise that programming is hard. Especially coding for games. Debugging doubly so.

Sincerely I do not agree. Many of people work in programming or project management. I am in charge of a team and I have to communicate to my users on a regular basis on when our delivery is expected.

There is a real care to take when giving date, even estimation. On this is a game, but people have also to realise commitment of the community behind that game.

I do not want to spoil FD work, just warn them about communication care !

Single player mode would be Ossum!
But the pro-PvP crowd would cry even more salty tears than they do over PG and solo... so it won't happen. (The devs secretly love ganking newbs)

The game should have been single player from the start. That's what the forum members asked for when they were asking for a sequel to Elite (I was a member of the forums back then and was one of many people asking), but FDev decided to ignore us and make this online only thing that relies way too much on server-side mechanics.

Do people really expect the developers to pull overnights(!) over a whining forum of entitled crybabies whining about beta tests starting? My my... that's grand :)

It's not like this is a system for running the nuclear plant or an X-Ray machine currently blessing patients with lethal doses of radiation (now that would be an Instafail (instagib?) bug). It's a game.

GET.
A.
GRIP.

(And yes, no feedback is much worse than bad news feedback, I'll give you that).

No more false promises.

FD should avoid giving fake dates, focus on delivering, and when it's ready, post the changelog.

No more, no less.

This new episode is quite unhappy toward players.

Please, stop *****ing about it.
I'm not soft with devs when they deserve it, but this time it's not a big deal.
We are talking about aimed dates for a BETA which involves a lot of core level code rework. It was doomed to have some issues, and as usual for this kind of software there are no promises (and personally i prefer to know when they are TRYING to do something rather than be kept in the dark as they do often. Even if they then miss the dates).

Said so... Give us the patchnote already!! :p (pretty please :p)

Last edited:
Lol some of the posts in here defy belief...The BETA isn't for your pleasure..its to make sure as many bugs and issues as possible are ironed out for RELEASE...If they are already having issues at least they know about them enough to delay beta release rather than you finding out via an unplayable beta (which btw, you'd still whinge about) then great! Saves time!!

This isnt a preview, or "early access", its a BETA, they will find issues, and the people who actually treat the beta as a beta and not a demo will find issues.

Instead of sending personal jabs to FD on the forum hows about you open THE ACTUAL GAME and play that?

I do despair :/.

Sincerely I do not agree. Many of people work in programming or project management. I am in charge of a team and I have to communicate to my users on a regular basis on when our delivery is expected.

There is a real care to take when giving date, even estimation. On this is a game, but people have also to realise commitment of the community behind that game.

I do not want to spoil FD work, just warn them about communication care !

Well I'm glad I haven't worked for a place where you're in charge of a team I'm in. You've singularly failed to take into account that FDEV have stated they were aiming to release on a certain date.

You say "There is a real care to take when giving date, even estimation." , yet that care was taken as the operative word in the statement at the end of last week was "aiming" for the 27th. That obviously didn't happen, and FDEV are saying it was for very good reasons.

Would you release your team's work if it had showstopping bugs? I certainly hope not. Especially if you tried to cover those bugs up when showing your product to a customer. That would be unethical in my opinion.

And lastly, moaning and whining about a delayed beta release is seriously the height of entitlement writ large.

I'm waiting on 2.3 beta 1 myself. I need it for generating Player Journal logs so I can test the new stuff I've written for my application. There's not much I can do about 2.3 beta 1's actual deployment, so there's absolutely no point in complaining about it.

I'll patiently wait for it to happen.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Might be 12 pages due to how word does it's silly padding/spacing stuff. [hehe]

Word is *the* worst piece of software ever. THey've had 30 odd years to make word processing easy and it still does random *insert swear word here* that nobody understands. Every time I have to use it a piece of me dies. You have my sympathy in typing out patch notes using it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom