2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And the poor blighters are using SVN if I recall correctly. I've heard it's common in game dev, cos it was always good at dealing with large binary art assets. Wonder if they've made the move to LFS yet? Probably anything that's been used for a decade on the Cobra engine is fairly well embedded into tools and workflows though.

Oh gawd really? SVN.

Well if they ever decide to switch to git - something I would highly recommend, Eric S. Raymond recently wrote a utility which I believe is designed to specifically migrate a project out of SVN and into a git repo.

Ah yes here we go : https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon

His blog entries on the subject were interesting reads, and I believe he recently extricated EMACS from svn to git whilst keeping all the commit history - no small feat, that.

Why is everyone so desperate to be the first person to play the beta?
In a few months I guarantee you will all have moved on to asking about 2.4

I dont think its about being the first, its about seeing it as fast as possible. Consider it an indication people are rather impressed with what they;ve seen of 2.3 so far, and cant wait to try it!

Why is everyone so desperate to be the first person to play the beta?
In a few months I guarantee you will all have moved on to asking about 2.4

Exactly, it's not that we have to be the first to play, we just want to play it so much because we love Elite and we want to play more of it.

If everyone in the world put as much effort into being constructive and inventive as they do complaining we would already have Frame Shift Drives in real life. :p

Considering the lateness of the delay to the Beta, the blocker is obviously one that cropped up late. It happens. People should stop going O.T.T about "FD being X, Y and Z". Yea 2.3 Beta didn't go out on the date's they expected, it happens. I suggest some people simply get over themselves. Like a cake it'll be ready when it's ready.

Really? Accountable? This is not some kind of legal case. It's a game. A free update for a game no less. Chill.

I was under the impression I paid for beta access, the original game AND beta access and the expansion.

That's not exactly free now is it.

I see no justification in name-calling or attacking the devs, but there IS room for a sensible amount of questioning and criticism.

I dont think its about being the first, its about seeing it as fast as possible. Consider it an indication people are rather impressed with what they;ve seen of 2.3 so far, and cant wait to try it!

I personally want to play badly and as soon as possible with that new cam mode, and yeah i'm not sure it's about being "the first" it's just people hyped by some great features.

Last edited:
Because some kids would wait up (try to stay awake?) for Father Christmas to arrive ... it's built into the psyche :p

But not everyone ;)

Pontificating and insinuating someone is a kid/child, is in itself childish.

I don't get the whole, you're a kid "insult"... its pointless, I love being called a kid, kids are full of joy and wonder :) ... its the old farts calling people kids that need to lighten up :p

Who wants to join me on the roundabout, its gonna be awesum! :) :p :D Wheee!

I was under the impression I paid for beta access, the original game AND beta access and the expansion.

I see no justification in name-calling or attacking the devs, but there IS room for a sensible amount of questioning and criticism.

Last time I checked, the developers at frontier developments don't owe us an explanation of anything. They are responsible for giving us 2.3, doesn't even have to be in a good state, but they care about getting it right.

Criticism is all fine and dandy, but people for the most part are just whining with no constructive feedback. Doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:

Perhaps I should have elaborated more there, I meant 'free' based on you already owning 2.x.
I wasn't expecting to have my words picked apart so thoroughly :p

And of course, I welcome an honest discourse; I just finding this entitled behaviour tiresome.

It's a precision of language thing. Version 2.3 is not free. It simply doesn't cost anything extra if you've already purchased Horizons.

When I bought Horizons, I knew there would be 4 updates, that's why I bought it and that's what I was being sold. I didn't buy just 2.0 and then get told "by the way there's more".

These are all paid updates, regardless if I don't have to pay again.

BTW I purchased the higher priced loyalty package as a pre-order and I feel I have been receiving a reasonable amount of content for what I paid, so this isn't a complaint. Just don't make out thse updates are "free", additional or a bonus of any kind, because they aren't.

I never said anything about legality. I simply said I would choose to not pre order another season.

As much as I tend to agree with what you're saying, you have to keep in mind that you're talking to a community that tends to value very little its money and its time.

There are hundreds if not thousands of people who pay 10€ for two embarrassing pieces of plastic to slap onto their virtual spaceships and 2€+ for a simple and basic reshade for their pew gun, for each color. And I'm one of them.

You're talking to the same people who wholeheartedly thank Frontier because they released after 80 weeks something as cheap and obvious as powerplay decals. Something that should have been free along with basic cosmetics (and now name plates on the hull, which are beyond a paywall too LOL) a long time ago. Look in this subsection, there are some folks who would even pay a monthly subscription to the game, despise its situation, its terrible lack of content and extremely sporadic updates.

You're fighting the right fight, for the right ideals, but against the wrong enemy and in the wrong battlefield.

Last edited:
Being excited is all fine and dandy but I draw the line at some people getting rude and abusive because they claim they are entitled to something ;)

Indeed, all the posturing and over the top insults is definitely not the way to go about it,

we all need to stop with the Jerry Springer show, and express our "upsetted'ness" in a more civilized manner

being upset is ok, being a D'bag isn't...

there is an old saying that I would like to repeat, "you need to tell someone to go to hell in such a way, that they are looking forward to the trip!"

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me how I can be eligible for the free 2.3 update please?

That is I would like to play 2.3 without spending any money.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you mean but the 2.3 update.

If you mean the 2.3 at release, a month or more from now, then all you need is to have purchased 2.x or the lifetime pass.

If you mean the 2.3 beta which this thread is about, you need to have 2.x plus beta or the lifetime pass.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom