2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So I guess from the number of posts there will be plenty playing multi-crew.

Lets face it, it is going to be fun to jump into someone elses uber ship and blast some stuff for credits now and then....

We are not mad that it's late. We're mad because FD try's to makes promises they can't keep. "Friday" -- "Monday" then what? Next year?

A classic sign of someone who's unfamiliar with FD's brutal need to tell us why and refusal to treat static deadlines as made in stone over technical difficulties.
It's a beta test of a huge update. Not the GAME.
They have 300 people and are hiring.

Not really.... I am a dev, some stuff I understand, some stuff from this end I've seem from game studios (not naming names) looks very poor, you can often see examples of poor communication (not Fdevs strongest suit either) and poor project management even if you aren't involved in the projects.

And the key thing to not annoying your customers is proper expectation management, and building into any timelines plenty of time for issues! If you think you will have something ready in 5 days if all goes well you NEVER under any circumstances say "it'll be ready in 5 days" You just don't!

I have every sympathy for bugs being found last min and issues this can cause - anyone who watched the live stream could tell there were big issues! But waiting till after the anticipated release (beta's normally start on Tuesday that was widely expected and FDev could have shot that down long ago) then Late on Thursday saying "yeah guys issues, it'll be Monday" then late on Monday saying "ooops, we did it again! update tomorrow morning" then no update the following morning..... that I have no sympathy at all for! That's the sort of stuff that devs who don't make games but "real world stuff" get sacked for!

People I know who are game devs have a much higher tolerance for this than those I know who don't....most "real world" devs are not particularly flattering about how game devs operate. And sure part of that is them wanting to be making cool games rather than the boring project they are working on, but part of it is knowing a "lets wing it" operation when they see it.... IMO FDev need to get a lot better at the comms, at expectation management, right now it's the sort of level you expect from devs who just got a few volunteers to do it....

The strongest thing that was said was that they were aiming for (or hoping for, one of the two) Monday. As a Dev you of all people should know that has an implicit "if we manage to align all the planets and moons before then"

Expectation is not unreasonable for paid products.

See... there's the crux of my problem with this argument... nobody has said you aren't getting it. Most of the whiners on this forum can't hack delays, and personally aggrieved by any such delay... that such a delay constitutes some breach of this magical contract that they seem to think they have.

You paid for it, yes.

Will you get it, yes.

Just not yet.

Soon™

Last edited:
That would destroy the first person perspective of the game. You might as well play freelancer if you want that kind of thing.

I would love to do so but Freelancer`s developer (Star Citizen) is busy trying to play the god in his office atm (and failing to do so imo).

Thing is, people paid for the releases of updates. Not the releases of betas.

bzzzztt!!! Wrong!! I certainly recall coughing up some extra dough for beta access

After criticizing the delay so hard,

I hope those who yelled on them will be a fair beta tester to help them correcting bugs.

It's pretty to yell on them but after that do your part... The Beta is a tool.

I think that most people trying the beta is for getting a sneak peak. A lot of reported bugs go unfixed in the release. I've read many threads about bugs present in the public release that had been reported during the beta, yet, they were not fixed. So, if something is bothering me a lot and I don't think it would be too hard to fix, I'll report it, otherwise, I just deal with it. You have to be realist...

Especially excited about this beta because this is a major step in 'humanising' the universe.

In live there is the issue that there is no sense of person, a universe of automatons.

These games aren't just space simulators; they are simulations of YOU in space. Without an avatar you feel like you are the ship itself, not the person piloting it.
Deep thoughts.
We make every character we play an extension of our consciousness.

Which is why i must have tiger tattoos all over my Holo-Me's face :)

Always looking for cmdrs like yourself to join the Alliance.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom