2.4 a 'good job' overall, imo...

I spent a good few hours in the game last night and this morning (yay, now I have to take my eldest brat to school at 7.30, I have an hour or so to kill BEFORE work! There's nothing like starting the day with an assassination. :)

I'd say FD have taken a list of complaints and ticked them off one by one, which imo, is a good approach.

So yeh, I have to say, silly weapon nerfs aside, the experience is overwhelmingly positive. The new inbox is great, although I seem to have some graphical glitches with it occasionally, old messages stay as a shadow making new ones difficult to read, I think it's probably related to the 2k res I play at, but if someone can confirm?

The missions are far more and more varied than ever before, and include long distance one ways to colonia. Most importantly factions I have low rep with are clearly making more of an effort to provide missions that I can do to raise the rep (they will have 6 or 7 missions for neutral, rather than one or two in the past). The passenger missions are more and more varied and have better payouts overall. There are a LOT more combat missions available, which is nice.

There seems to have been a graphical update, I can't put my finger on what's changed, but I am definitely getting better performance than ever before. Also, I noticed the scaling of some HUD popup elements has been made smaller, which is nice. Naturally we are all approaching planetary bases without fear now that there is no skimmer rain.

The galaxy map improvements are EXCELLENT, I particularly love the long route plotting that includes neutrons and last scoop stops. The 'where I've been recently' dotted line is also double handy.

Spawning in instances is literally 10 times faster for me, don't know about anyone else, but I have no pauses at all any more (at least in solo). The missions boards are also much more responsive.

I'm sure I haven't noticed a lot of the other stuff, so I'll add to this as I go, but I felt that since I have been rather vocal about my complaints regarding the Thargoid buff/missile nerf, I wanted to also balance that with a general 'well done', because the game is noticeably better than before in myriad ways. And totally free of charge, too (this should not be underestimated).

Keep on keeping on FD, just try to steer clear of those knee jerk reactions, especially when people are obviously having fun. ;)

Thanks so much!

EDIT: In light of some of the rather glaring bugs, I have removed the word overwhelming from the title, as in fairness, that would be rude to the people who are suffering from micro bugs. I still think overall a good update, Thargon encounter aside.

Last edited:
overall i too think 2.4 was a big improvement. I AM worried about the way the thargoid content is going but its early days yet.

Nice write-up, good to hear the AX nerf hasn't ruined it for you.

Re: inbox glitches .... yeah I get those too. Old messages still appearing and folders displaying open but behaving as if they're closed. That's on a standard 1920x1080 screen too so nothing to do with your resolution.

Bug report?

I'm also happy with 2.4. There are a nice set of QoL improvements, and I'm glad that the thargoid storyline is trickling in rather than all being revealed at once.

It seems like such a little thing, but the 'where I've been' trail is definitely a highlight for me. It's so much more convenient for going back and forth in a small area than having to find system names or create temporary bookmarks.

I even like the much-maligned equipment CGs. Haven't been this invested in a CG for ages :)

Last edited:
I'm also happy with 2.4. There are a nice set of QoL improvements, and I'm glad that the thargoid storyline is trickling in rather than all being revealed at once.

It seems like such a little thing, but the 'where I've been' trail is definitely a highlight for me. It's so much more convenient for going back and forth in a small area than having to find system names or create temporary bookmarks.

indeed. 1 thing i would take 1 step further however... allow us to replot route to "last" station i docked at from the left hand panel, that way i do not need to go into the galmap again if i am just doing A B A B for a CG. possibly put it in grey at the top of the panel. click on it and it route plots for you back.

overall i too think 2.4 was a big improvement. I AM worried about the way the thargoid content is going but its early days yet.

This. There is a lot to like in 2.4. Frontier just have the usual consistency issues around player engagement with mechanics, that they need to nail shut so they can move on. The thargoid stuff has the potential to be a festering wound if they don't sort out the balance; same with the flip/ flop over mission counts and payouts; both are an important piece of the game for many.

Last edited:
indeed. 1 thing i would take 1 step further however... allow us to replot route to "last" station i docked at from the left hand panel, that way i do not need to go into the galmap again if i am just doing A B A B for a CG. possibly put it in grey at the top of the panel. click on it and it route plots for you back.

Now that is a great idea. You should put it in the suggestions subforum sometime, if you haven't already.

Nice. To take it another step further, I'd like to see waypoint route plotting in 3.0, letting me 'see' all the stops on the passengers' sightseeing route (when youhave multiple sightseeing missions, it can easily have you sent from one side of the bubble to the other, then back again, which can be a little frustrating), and plot an efficient course to get round them all, and also loop waypoints, as you say, to be able to plot an A-B-A trading run so you only have to visit the galmap once per session and your route is autoplotted every time you take off back to where you came from.

P.S. Would give you extra rep for being an ex-350z owner if I could. My ginger Z is my 2nd favorite source of amusement after the PC. :) I couldn't ever get rid of her, she just gets better with age, as newer cars get tamer and tamer. I bought aVW Up as well to deal with kids, and my wife has a Volvo XC60, so we're covered. :)

Nice write-up, good to hear the AX nerf hasn't ruined it for you.

Re: inbox glitches .... yeah I get those too. Old messages still appearing and folders displaying open but behaving as if they're closed. That's on a standard 1920x1080 screen too so nothing to do with your resolution.

Bug report?

Will check when I get home (6 or 7 hours from now) to see if anyone else has reported it, if not, I'll do a screenie and post one. Thanks for confirming not resolution related. :)

Last edited:
I like 2.4

I think the only issue was that they should have created a new damage type. Basically a thargoid damage type just for the new weapons. Thargoids should have had massive resistance to all the other damage types. And then FDev could have just reduced the Xeno damage type on the new weapons to show them adapting to the new weapons. I wouldn't have even put it in the patch notes either.

The weapon would still be effective against other ships as normal and nobody would know any different.

I like 2.4, what I've seen of it.

But I've spent.... 16 hrs kicked out because of a multicrew bug that wouldn't let me login, 3 days waiting for my Sirius permit and 2 days (this is the third) waiting on Qwent to issue an invite.

Ironically all this hassle is because of 2.4. The MC invite was a friend who wanted me to crew with him on alien research and the permit/invite nonsense is because I need to unlock palin to get cargo holds that can hold alien samples... And now I'm stuck because I'm holding 24 odd modular terminals I don't want to have to gather again.

So yeah, I get that it's fun, but it'd be nice if a lot of stuff around the main feature wasn't bugged.

Personally speaking 'overwhelmingly' is over egging the pudding, 2.4 to me is pretty good overall but, (and I realise it's early doors), the Thargoid USS mentality needs a kick in the rear, someone at Frontier has a real USS fetish, whoever you are, the first step is admitting you have a problem! :D

Personally speaking 'overwhelmingly' is over egging the pudding, 2.4 to me is pretty good overall but, (and I realise it's early doors), the Thargoid USS mentality needs a kick in the rear, someone at Frontier has a real USS fetish, whoever you are, the first step is admitting you have a problem! :D

I couldn't be more upset about the Thargoid thing, I was not diplomatic with my comments on that, I was proper angry, in several threads. But that's just ONE aspect. An important one I admit, but if, like me, you are currently forgetting that the Thargoids exist and just playing the game exactly as you did before, I stand by my overwhelmingly positive review.

You wanna know what I think about the Thargoid debacle (you probably don't, lol)...be my guest...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...there-is-no-obvious-reason-why-please-explain

I couldn't be more upset about the Thargoid thing, I was not diplomatic with my comments on that, I was proper angry, in several threads. But that's just ONE aspect. An important one I admit, but if, like me, you are currently forgetting that the Thargoids exist and just playing the game exactly as you did before, I stand by my overwhelmingly positive review.

You wanna know what I think about the Thargoid debacle (you probably don't, lol)...be my guest...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...there-is-no-obvious-reason-why-please-explain

Yes, I too am trying not to let the Thargoid weapon fiasco spoil my enjoyment of 2.4, which has improved in many ways. The game feels more alive and the crisper performance helps.

I'm just avoiding the Thargoid combat "features," but it worries me that FD continue to stumble along with their lack of contingency planning when they introduce new story-line features.

Top Bottom