Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening fellow Commanders

Since short I have a Federal Corvette. For the most part I got no problems to build it. But I kinda am doubting what to do depending on it's purpose how to build my shields and Armour.
My Clan has given me decent advice, but I decided to listen to some public opinions/idea's as well. Most posts and guides are bit outdated. I am both curious if anything has changed or not.

I am aware that there is no "right build" or some way how it should be. Still I would appreciate any advice that helps me to improve my ship for the function as I use it.
And hopefully this post will also answer other people with the same question(s)/Doubt(s) as I sit with.
So if you would allow me:

Purpose: PVE Mostly/Rare occasions PVP (in defence)

For my shields:

• Prismatic Shields
  • 3 Resistance Boosters
  • 3 Heavy Duty Boosters
Resistance %:
  • 56.9% Kinetic Resistance
  • 13.3% Thermal Resistance
  • 64.2% Explosive Resistance

For my Armour:

• 1A Military Grade Composite
  • 3 5D Hull Reinforcement Packages
  • 2 4D Hull Reinforcement Packages
Reistance %:
  • 9.7% Kinetic Resistance
  • 24.5% Thermal Resistance
  • -5.4%% Explosive Resistance
Just for purpose of sharing each other builds:

Coriolis Build: https://eddp.co/u/p6KGHAyC

My build is generally fully engineerd with exception to my prismatic Shields

Any advice is welcome. If any other information is needed. Just ask.

Thank you in advance

Cmd. Gamer798

Last edited:
Good morning CMDR, here are my 2 cents:

Shield boosters are fine, but you still need to mod your shields for thermal resistance.
Forget about the chaff launcher, your Corvette is such a huge and slow target, it'll not give much protection, better use a heatsink launcher, a point defence or an additional shield booster.
You don't need that much hull reinforcements as you'll almost never gonna loose your shields. I would rather add one or two shield cell banks. And at least one 5D module reinforcement.

Regarding weapons: Fixed huge multicannons with gimballed lasers? For what purpose? Either full gimballed in this case or full fixed lasers with gimballed multicannons. Btw: The damage of small turreted pulse lasers is beyond pathetic. As NPCs tend to use craptons of chaff and shield cell banks, the current recommendation is as follows: Two huge fixed beam lasers G5 efficient with thermal vent and two small railguns G1 longrange with feedback cascade. Obliterates both chaff and shield cell banks. The Corvette is nimble enough with dirty drives for making good use of fixed weapons. The worst placed hardpoint is the large belly-mounted one, use a plasma accelerator or a fixed frag cannon here as an opportunity weapon for the big game. The medium ones on the side give several viable options - I have two gimballed multicannons here, one with corrosive shell. It's simply too overpowered for not using it.

And I would recommend 8A sensors instead of 8D. The increased range of A is convenient and you don't get much more jump range out of D.

Finally here is my current Corvette heavy multipurpose build. Though it eats every elite NPC for breakfast, I've got another Corvette for RES-farming with a more combat-oriented fitting.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fed...O5jg8AIAAA==.EweloBhBmUHYBsICmBDA5gG2SEBGCQoA

O7, Fly safe CMDR

As a quick observation, your thermal resistance is shocking- since most of NPCs fire lasers this needs to be high, and remember that NPCs don't fire missiles unless your shields are down.

Also, unless you fight with shields down HRPs are pointless weight- if you jump out when your shield goes its not a good use of weight since it will cripple your agility and your ability to used those fixed huge to the maximum.

@ Starman 1966 fixed huge and gimballed others are good for convergence since the Corvette has very poor weapons placement.

@ Starman 1966 fixed huge and gimballed others are good for convergence since the Corvette has very poor weapons placement.

I have to disagree here. The only poorly placed hardpoint is the large one on the belly. Convergence especially of the two huge and the two small hardpoints is great. I have them on the same fire button so lasers and rail guns are firing simultaneously as long as shields are up in big ships. Makes firing shield cell banks in Anacondas and Pythons almost worthless. I even experimented with rail guns in the medium hardpoints. Works fine with bigger targets, but the convergence is not too good with smaller prey.

When using fixed huge multicannons I would opt for longrange G5 as this doubles shot speed and thus massively decreases the amount of missing projectiles. But using huge fixed lasers has so much advantages... yet another viable option would be two huge Plasma Accelerators.

But we definitely agree on shield's thermal resistance and HRPs.

Last edited:
:D I recently made a hull tank Corvette and I decided to fit it like the Death Star (all fixed beams + a small corrosive MC), and I found that getting everything to strike small targets together was impossible at shorter ranges (inside the micro-gimballing effect). So what I wound up with was the smaller guns gimballed fire into the huge beams path. I was tempted to go long range but found most of my fighting was very close up, and found the gimbals handy when everything was outside the huge beams firing line.

I forgot to suggest too that instead of loads of HRPs the OP uses a single MRP in the scenario where shields are / or have come down and you are running away. If your PP, FSD or drives are fragile it might give you some valuable time.

https://eddp.co/u/7L4x61NG

There you have it, OP.

The best changes to your original fit are: G5 Thermal your Prismatics ASAP (at least G5 Reinforce them), and G5 DD your Thrusters. Corvette needs maneuverability and speed in combat sites in order to get optimal ToT (time on target) without having to rely on turrets.

The guns in this Fit are beginner Vette player friendly, but feel free to use PAs, Rails, Fixed Beams, whatever you want. The LR mod on the beams makes you hit hard at long distances (falloff is a major deterrent for lazors in a big ship, NPCs simply kite you) and the Thermal Vent special makes you able to use them almost continuously with few pips to Weps. The Corrosive special on one Huge MC benefits from the no-spin-up time and long lasting ammo in those (this effect doesn't stack, makes target hull juicy). Feel free to exchange one or two beams for MCs if you feel like NPCs hulls are taking too long, keep in mind the ammo limitation though. Feel free to use Overcharged or Efficient mod on the MCs, it's up to your tolerance for restocks. (I love myself a full dakka dakka Vette, don't care about restocks, targets die too fast)

Swap some of the HRPs for a Fighter Bay (pretty useless, fighter pilots take away lots of millions of credits and lots of exp towards the Elite Combat rank, besides, SLFs die too often in CZs and require boring micromanagement), limpet controllers, a FSD Interdictor, whatever. For PvE, you don't actually need Military hull, just use the multiple modded HRPs.

Having one SCB (Shield Cell Bank) is good for those sleepy, distracted moments. Not essential though. One single SCB doesn't really need a Heat Sink, the Vette simply eats heat no problem… you'll probably want one HS if you're heavy on PAs and Rails though. Feel free to exchange one of the SBs (Shield Boosters) for a KWS if you're going to HazRES/CNB.

I have to disagree here. The only poorly placed hardpoint is the large one on the belly. Convergence especially of the two huge and the two small hardpoints is great. I have them on the same fire button so lasers and rail guns are firing simultaneously as long as shields are up in big ships. Makes firing shield cell banks in Anacondas and Pythons almost worthless. I even experimented with rail guns in the medium hardpoints. Works fine with bigger targets, but the convergence is not too good with smaller prey.

When using fixed huge multicannons I would opt for longrange G5 as this doubles shot speed and thus massively decreases the amount of missing projectiles. But using huge fixed lasers has so much advantages... yet another viable option would be two huge Plasma Accelerators.

But we definitely agree on shield's thermal resistance and HRPs.

I definitely should try the huge fixed beams, besides they look awesome when shooting…

Last edited:
:D I recently made a hull tank Corvette and I decided to fit it like the Death Star (all fixed beams + a small corrosive MC), and I found that getting everything to strike small targets together was impossible at shorter ranges (inside the micro-gimballing effect). So what I wound up with was the smaller guns gimballed fire into the huge beams path. I was tempted to go long range but found most of my fighting was very close up, and found the gimbals handy when everything was outside the huge beams firing line.

I forgot to suggest too that instead of loads of HRPs the OP uses a single MRP in the scenario where shields are / or have come down and you are running away. If your PP, FSD or drives are fragile it might give you some valuable time.

For those pesky small targets in close range, an also valid alternative is Frags. Turreted Frags in the belly punish those NPCs who try to blindspot us too… the ammo limit tho…

For those pesky small targets in close range, an also valid alternative is Frags. Turreted Frags in the belly punish those NPCs who try to blindspot us too… the ammo limit tho…

On my first Corvette I used a combo of short range on turreted MCs, so they would only fire when the enemy ship was right above my canopy saving ammo. Since these were normally Vipers or Eagles the lowish DPS was OK.

I'd love to make an all frag Corvette with rapid fire and screening shell!

Seems my immediate problem is my Thermal Resistance and the removal of my Hull Reinforcement Packages switched to something more useful.
There is some constructive advice on weapons as well I will take that to mind.

Thank you commanders. :)

Fly safe and steady:D More advice is always welcome of course.

Seems my immediate problem is my Thermal Resistance and the removal of my Hull Reinforcement Packages switched to something more useful.

Wait there, don't forget to G5 Dirty Drive your thrusters!!!

LOL repped for changing your OP :D

I'm quite lazy with my own Corvette.

All my weapons except for the huge ones are turreted efficient beam lasers with regen. My huge HPs carry two gimbaled rapid fire multicannons, one of which is fitted with corrosive shells. Chaff is an issue, but this setup (and my greatly boosted PD) allows those five beams firing non stop on two pips to WEP. My only real beef with this setup is that due to Corrosive's ammo drop, one of the two huge multis runs out of ammo fairly quickly. So I'm thinking of swapping that out with another non-special rapid fire multi, and then swapping out one of the small beams with a high ammo cap small turreted multi with corrosive.

Whatever your build, always always make sure Corrosive is in there somewhere. It's a huge dps boost.

Top Bottom