Rapid fire introduces jitter as well, which is annoying too. But at close range for short fights it really does the business. For a while I put rapid fire on the ventral L slot, I thought that since targets rarely cross it the rapid fire would dump much more lead into the enemy in the short time they are there.

I agree with the ones advising you to switch all of your lazors to efficient beams. Pulse just doesn't seem to work for the Vette against the small ships since the introduction of hull and module reinforcements. Efficient beams with a thermal vent will however pop small ships faster than they can say "I'll pick your bones clean greenhorn".

Interestingly, I recently switched all of my turreted lasers from efficient to G5 long range burst. I was having problems with many NPCs sitting off about 1-1.5km and efficient wasn't cutting it (pun intended). :)

Now I can start chewing on ships from much further away (5km or more), and when they decide to get in close I shoot them in the face with my two huge G5 overcharged MCs. Even condas can't take this for very long.

i agree with everyone on the thermal resists. thats the no1. damage type npcs will shoot at you (even the popular rail-asp and eagles do 50% thermal)

and reading about all those PvP builds, it sounds like Incediary Rounds is a popular choice even for the kinetic weapons.
so except for the obligatory corrosive ammo modded weapon, an the absolute PA's, everything will deal >50% thermal damage...

I agree with the ones advising you to switch all of your lazors to efficient beams. Pulse just doesn't seem to work for the Vette against the small ships since the introduction of hull and module reinforcements. Efficient beams with a thermal vent will however pop small ships faster than they can say "I'll pick your bones clean greenhorn".

i find beam lasers pretty underwhelming. especially "efficient" ones.

my combat range is usually above 500m, and as such, i use long range mods on energy weapons.
if i dont plan to combat-grind somewhere, i even use two long-range C4 cannons rip pirates apart.
later my corvette will get focused plasma, when i have learned to aim :D

I experimented with long range on pulse lasers vs efficient on beams.

I found that with gimballed pulses, it was near impossible to hit smaller ships at long range, whereas it was pretty good against large targets. And I also realized that I could easily hug large targets (DD5 thrusters) where I could keep them at effective range of my beams. And for smaller ships, by the time my gimballed or turreted lasers could reliably hit them, they were typically at ranges where beams could still outperform pulses (beam dropoff is 600m, but it also does something like 40% more damage than pulses, so I'd say beams still have the damage edge until, say, 1000m maybe?).

In the end, I went back to the efficient beams. Much more dependable.

Long range I find is best with fixed weapons where you can pinpoint target a ship at long range rather than rely on the occasionally wonky tracking on gimballed weapons.

don't listen to all this people.....go with your heart....no weapons....just love......and smile.....smile when you fly this ship

I've tried quite few different weapon load outs and the hard question is what do you do w/ the 1's and 2's?

On a ship this size, you would think the designers would have made four 2's as the ship can handle them. But deal w/ what is there.

Rails on the 1's, plasmas on the 2's and the 3. Gimballed MC's on the 4's w/HICAP mags. The gimball 4's can engage everything and chew up shields. The fixed are for close up and snap shots when you get them.

I have found that to really be effective, you need to be up close, 1k or less. Waste of ammo otherwise. Plus if you can get in close, the Corvette's nose is great for ramming (lowers shields fast) and if you pin them on your nose using forward thrust, the bigs are toast.

Get those DD5's ASAP.

I've tried quite few different weapon load outs and the hard question is what do you do w/ the 1's and 2's?

On a ship this size, you would think the designers would have made four 2's as the ship can handle them. But deal w/ what is there.

Rails on the 1's, plasmas on the 2's and the 3. Gimballed MC's on the 4's w/HICAP mags. The gimball 4's can engage everything and chew up shields. The fixed are for close up and snap shots when you get them.

I have found that to really be effective, you need to be up close, 1k or less. Waste of ammo otherwise. Plus if you can get in close, the Corvette's nose is great for ramming (lowers shields fast) and if you pin them on your nose using forward thrust, the bigs are toast.

Get those DD5's ASAP.

I too wish for four medium hardpoints instead of two medium and two small. Not sure what the designers were thinking, but hey, whatever. ;)

As I'm still pursuing my final Elite in Combat (29% to go...), I take the vette to my local CNBs and just hang out until I get brain-fried. For me, the long-range burst lasers on everything except the huge allow me to engage at a distance. Surprisingly, they seem to do a fair bit of damage when I keep the nose of my ship pointed at the target and everything is firing at the same time. When the NPC makes a run at me is when I use the two overcharged MCs as usually by then their shields are down, or almost down. Shield tanks like FDLs I hammer them with everything at once as once their shields go down they pop pretty quickly. Same for condas.

I 'discovered' quite by accident the mechanism you describe of using the nose of my vette to pin a conda. And you're right, once pinned on my nose I can gut a conda in very short order. The other maneuver I like to do is get close to a FGS and smack 'em with my nose. While they are tumbling away, I hammer them with everything I have. :D

Just literally bought a Vette last night. It's going to be a long term project of engineering. This thread seems to hold some solid tips. Bookmarked :)

I too wish for four medium hardpoints instead of two medium and two small. Not sure what the designers were thinking, but hey, whatever. ;)

Initially the Corvette was planned with 2 medium at the front and 2 large at the sides. This was already nerfed pre-release because the community was complaining about this loadout as being overpowered. So the Corvette ended up with a little bit less firepower compared to the Anaconda.

Initially the Corvette was planned with 2 medium at the front and 2 large at the sides. This was already nerfed pre-release because the community was complaining about this loadout as being overpowered. So the Corvette ended up with a little bit less firepower compared to the Anaconda.

I'm really starting to dislike the designers of this game... :mad:

where does this come from.
its nothing i remember at all.

i remember seeing the concept art, and later the sneek peek render of the final model (that looks exactly what we have ingame)
and then to the presentation in a livestream
I can't remember that FDEV has ever stated what loadout it has until it was already done... just like the chieftain a few days ago.

oh, googled - there was this error in the newsletter, that stated that it will have "3 large, 2 meds and 2 huge" hardpoints, which was corrected within a few hours.
VERY similar to what happend to the chieftain just a few days ago, when in an interview Ed Lewis counted the hardpoints wrong.

I'm trying to make up for the 1's on the Corvette.

I've installed 4 rails on the 1 and 2 hard points, lot's of fun. Currently long range w/ 2 each of penetrator and feedback.

As much as I dislike PowerPlay, I am seriously considering pledging Arissa Duval for the Imperial Hammers. I'm not happy about surrendering my independent status but those Hammers...

To be continued.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make up for the 1's on the Corvette.

I've installed 4 rails on the 1 and 2 hard points, lot's of fun. Currently long range w/ 2 each of penetrator and feedback.

As much as I dislike PowerPlay, I am seriously considering pledging Aisling Duval for the Imperial Hammers. I'm not happy about surrendering my independent status but those Hammers...

To be continued.

That's what I'm using and I just pledged to *ALD a few days ago.
*That's Arissa btw, Aisling has the prismatics.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get too excited about PP. It's just something I'll likely never do. But then I said the same thing about engineers... ;)

So maybe someday when I'm really bored.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get too excited about PP. It's just something I'll likely never do. But then I said the same thing about engineers... ;)

So maybe someday when I'm really bored.

You won't have to alter your playstyle at all.
If anything that's a little disappointing; the lack of any real commitment or consequences to pledging.
Ok, you'll have a little "hostile" warning in some systems but it doesn't mean much.
I kept most of my ships in LYR space while pledged to Aisling and conducted business as usual there.
I even bought my PP items there at a discount which is kind of odd.

I pledged, kept playing like normal for 3 weeks, then simply bought a bunch of materials and made a single 750t delivery in my Cutter.
The next day I had access to prismatics.
Easy peasy.

Top Bottom