Patch Notes Update 2.4 The Return - Update 2.4.03

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
2.4 is a lot like watching paint dry main difference is the paint dries quicker than fdev develop.

There was a post here a while back about Elite going into maintenance mode. Basically the author made the argument that given the limited return on investment FDEV sees on Elite, as opposed to Planet Coaster for example, FDEV were basically winding down development of Elite. It rung very true at the time, and from the 2.4 release notes onwards (even before), everything seems to support it. Unfortunately I don't think Elite is ever going to achieve the promise we all saw for it.

There was a post here a while back about Elite going into maintenance mode. Basically the author made the argument that given the limited return on investment FDEV sees on Elite, as opposed to Planet Coaster for example, FDEV were basically winding down development of Elite. It rung very true at the time, and from the 2.4 release notes onwards (even before), everything seems to support it. Unfortunately I don't think Elite is ever going to achieve the promise we all saw for it.

Well. i hope your wrong but fear your right, time will tell.

I wouldn't go that far with my assumptions. There are still, besides the Q1 and Q4 updates, 2 content updates coming next year, which we don't know anything of yet.
Thing is, most of my personal preferences are to be covered in the Q4 (mining, faction tools, exploration,...), which would be another full year from now on.
If they run into trouble and have to delay that even further... don't know if i'll be still there to see it.

Q1, as much as i appreciate it, is unlikely to bring something to my personal interest.
New ships, o.k., novelty wears off fast.
C&P? Couldn't care less. Trading tools? Definately needed for new players, but i doubt i'll ever get back to bulk trading.
Galnet Audio? Already have EDDI for that. Planetary tech? Most welcome, but again, wears off fast.
I definately need something new to actually DO.

Think it really depends more on the unanounced things to come.
But, if that would be something completely unrelated to the DDF, like CQC (or equally useless for the main game), well, think that's it then.
We have to wait and see, and hope the patience doesn't run out of gas...

edit: in short, i'm in need of new actual gameplay, not features. If you know what i mean.

Last edited:

- Frontier have been making some technical ‘under the hood’ changes for what Sandro Sammarco described as for the ‘long term benefit of the game’.

and from a quote on the DIscovery Scanner 2 thread,

think it's worth picking up on something Mark said in the stream. He was working on things that will be included in Beyond before he started work on the Thargons!

Last edited:

Dont they have a team of devs for each game?1 teamd for Ed, another for Planet Coaster and a 3rd for Jurassic Park? or is it one big team doing all games?.....hope its not the latter, cause otherwise they could be cutting their own throats, which i for one, wouldnt want them to do that. They make great games

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
From what I understand having watched many livestreams and even spoken to a few of the developers at various events, you are correct - there are completely separate teams for each game for the most part. I think the sound team might be somewhat shared between the games, but for the rest it seems that it's completely separate teams.

FD have also been pretty clear that they are still developing ED - they have announced at least a year's worth of more free (for Horizons owners) content coming, and they have also announced that there will be more paid game content in 2018 as well, although they haven't said what it will be yet. Doesn't seem like maintenance mode to me.

They are also running livestreams collecting feedback about features in development - again - this doesn't seem like a sign of going into maintenance mode.

I read some of these posts and it's as if some of you completely ignored the announcement about the Beyond updates. Clearly, the game is not slipping into "maintenance mode". We use Windows phones in our household, so we KNOW what maintenance mode actually looks like. This ain't it.

Me and some of my player group were at the FrontierExpo 17 and it looks to me that there is no run down in development

only onwards upwards and forwards

having met and spoken to the devs on many occasions over the past 2 years they dont have the funds of the star citizen demo but want to deliver everything and more
but will just take time

space legs will be a thing but not imminent plus other cool stuff if you have the digital art book take a look that will give you an idea of whats to come o7

David Braben himself said in an interview not too long ago that FDev was keen to develop the game for several years to come, even past the ten year mark they initially had mentioned.

Sadly the incessant poisonous whining of the impatient is strong on the forums.
Many seem unable to grasp that a spacesim project of this scope and incredible detail takes time to develop.
Many whiners seem to be accomplished spacesim developers themselves who are able to produce such a game on their own within a few months time at most and of course they would have done everything better.
Of course I have nothing but the highest respect for their opinions and awesome abilities and I am very much in awe of their ability to produce such high pitched whining noises.

Last edited:
David Braben himself said in an interview not too long ago that FDev was keen to develop the game for several years to come, even past the ten year mark they initially had mentioned.

Sadly the incessant whining of the impatient is strong on the forums.
Many seem unable to grasp that a spacesim project of this scope and incredible detail takes time to develop.
Many whiners seem to be accomplished spacesim developers themselves who are able to produce such a game in a few months at most and of course they would have done everything better.

Braben said that five years ago on the kickstarter, so only five years left... I can't wait really to see their failure, but I can imagine this right now because until now, they've done nothing what Braben said then.

Last edited:
No, as I said it was not to long ago. The interview I refer to was this year.

Ah, you are one of those.

Like I said Braben saying this like a mantra since kickstarter and because "very excited" people like you this game isn't still in beta stage like it should be now. Yes I'm one of those who are not deluded anymore.

Last edited:
Like I said Braben saying this like a mantra since kickstarter and because "very excited" people like you this game isn't still in beta stage like it should be now. Yes I'm one of those who are not deluded anymore.

There is a difference between not being deluded and actually hoping the game fails, like you do. I think that is a form of delusion in its own right.

If you think I am deluded or "very exited" then you must not have read any of my comments on the forum.
I am a fan of Elite, that is undeniable, but I am critical and I do feel that it is time to develop the core mechanics now asap.
I am never critical in a destructive manner that poisons the well though, like so many of these childish whiners.
I also accept that this is an enormous project with enormous challenges and I accept that development takes a lot of time.
And last but not least I accept that this game is not specifically developed for me to cater to all my personal wishes.

FDev have consistently and repeatedly warned us that developing ED would take a lot of time.
I will just wait and see what happens and will certainly not spread hysterical false rumours about 'maintenance mode', nor will I hope like a disgruntled child that the game fails.

Last edited:
There is a difference between not being deluded and actually hoping the game fails, like you do. I think that is a form of delusion in its own right.

If you think I am deluded or "very exited" then you must not have read any of my comments on the forum.
I am a fan of Elite, that is undeniable, but I am critical and I do feel that it is time to develop the core mechanics now asap.
I am never critical in a destructive manner that poisons the well though, like so many of these childish whiners.
I also accept that this is an enormous project with enormous challenges and I accept that development takes a lot of time.
And last but not least I accept that this game is not specifically developed for me to cater to all my personal wishes.

FDev have consistently and repeatedly warned us that developing ED would take a lot of time.
I will just wait and see what happens and will certainly not spread hysterical false rumours about 'maintenance mode', nor will I hope like a disgruntled child that the game fails.

No I'm not hoping it fails I can see it is failing right now. Maybe FD will wake up finally and start doing something useful instead of deluding people.

And I don't offense other people like you do. Someone who has different opinion from you is "childish whiner", but only person who is whining here is you. You are whining about other opinions. So indeed it's little childish...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom