200,000 CQC Kills

Throughout all your 200,000+ kills, did you often encounter similar issues in the current ship CQC?
Current CQC has lots of issues due to P2P.

Instancing - not being able to see all players in the game or them not showing where they really are (they are stuck in spawn point and take no damage there) while they see you perfecly so it's like fighting a ghost you cannot kill, broken lobby.

Cheaters.. we notice people with hacks now and again - shield/hull hack, speed hack, perma heat sink effect etc. Luckily they are terrible pilots and if impossible to damage their ship you can always try to avoid them. The only way to fight that is by reporting them with video evidence. But that only works when they are obvious.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Current CQC has lots of issues due to P2P.

Instancing - not being able to see all players in the game or them not showing where they really are (they are stuck in spawn point and take no damage there) while they see you perfecly so it's like fighting a ghost you cannot kill, broken lobby.

Cheaters.. we notice people with hacks now and again - shield/hull hack, speed hack, perma heat sink effect etc. Luckily they are terrible pilots and if impossible to damage their ship you can always try to avoid them. The only way to fight that is by reporting them with video evidence. But that only works when they are obvious.

Do you think these happen too often or that it impacted the experience so often that ship CQC is basically broken to begin with?

I've played lots of FPS in the past, mainly Battlefield https://www.bf2hub.com/stats/57543252. But my worry is.. is FPS CQC still going to be P2P, because if so then I already see the failure of it even before it started.
Every decent FPS has dedicated servers without instancing issues, with anti-hack systems in place etc.
I very much would like to see dedicated servers for current CQC too, but that's just a dream.
Nothing yet to suggest otherwise. I doubt it'll be a contender for FPS of the year nor attempt to compete against the AAA FPS titles on the market. It'll be Elite with all its rubber banding, ghosting glory and I'm pretty sure it won't be a heavily twitch based affair from what I've seen so far (though those rail guns look yummy). I'm anticipating it'll still be fun, just maybe not premium fun.

It's still a really valid point though. Given the low uptake in CQC, you'd have thought dedicated servers would have been really cheap to run. But of course that would mean entirely new net code and they're not going to invest in that given... The low uptake in CQC.

Bit of catch 22.

I'll definitely be trying it in Alpha though and will report on it nda allowing.

I've played lots of FPS in the past, mainly Battlefield https://www.bf2hub.com/stats/57543252. But my worry is.. is FPS CQC still going to be P2P, because if so then I already see the failure of it even before it started.
Every decent FPS has dedicated servers without instancing issues, with anti-hack systems in place etc.
I very much would like to see dedicated servers for current CQC too, but that's just a dream.
I know super competitive folk insist on servers but back in the day I played a lot of COD in what are considered the dark times of COD where it went P2P

Again as a social player even in PvP it was fine. I won't lie and say it was perfect but it was more than playable and I truly believe it can be done to have workable P2P in FPS games.
(Which is not to say FD will manage it of course but they have a fighting chance imo)

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
There are lots of issues with P2P in current CQC but I'm at work now. I will send you my reply this evening.
The thing here is not really “what” issues. P2P issues are well documented. It is more about how often they happen and if overall the experience has to be declared a no go.

The fact you have been able to play and stick with it to 200k+ kills suggests the issues are not so dramatic or recurrent enough to be a major blocker. My own experience, although not as extensive as yours has been predominantly stable and smooth.

I suspect space legs CQC will probably behave similarly, warts and all.

Last edited:
The thing here is not really “what” issues. P2P issues are well documented. It is more about how often they happen and if overall the experience has to be declared a no go.

The fact you have been able to play and stick with it to 200k+ kills suggests the issues are not so dramatic or recurrent enough to be a major blocker. My own experience, although not as extensive as yours has been predominantly stable and smooth.

I suspect space legs CQC will probably behave similarly, warts and all.
Some happen every day, some every match. The game is still playable, but it's not what you want in competitive PvP.

Last edited:
Some happen every day, some every match. The game is still playable, but it's not what you want in competitive PvP.
Question: do you have trouble finding matches, or is there a specific time you try and play at? I just started the CQC grind, got rank 6 mostly helpless ( on my way ). The biggest complaint I see is that players can't find matches, do you have that issue?

Question: do you have trouble finding matches, or is there a specific time you try and play at? I just started the CQC grind, got rank 6 mostly helpless ( on my way ). The biggest complaint I see is that players can't find matches, do you have that issue?
On PC we have no problem finding matches. Just queue for Deathmatch as it's the easiest to get a match there. The peak time is late afternoon/evening UK time, but now with the pamdemic peak time is quite extended and you can be lucky and find a full lobby at any time.

I have never ever managed to get a game of Capture the flag. (So much so I am not even sure I am remembering the name correctly is it that or king of the hill?). Mind you my biggest hate of online PvP games is waiting so have never waited more than 5 mins before giving up.
Whilst I would have no problem with going with servers.... Personally more maps and drop in drop out options with bots taking the roles (and keeping player only options as well) would get my vote before ripping out and replacing the net code ... Gears of war did it superbly imo.
They kept the player only ranked option and added in a small XP boost as well for using it, but also allowed you to get instantly in the action and players enter and leave as you play (and still allowed you to progress as well)

Because 100,000 was not enough

uJNZGfQ.png

Quite a journey, 9 CQC leaderboards wins with my old squadron - The Winged Hussars, gained hundreds of haters :p

Special thanks to CMDR Blastard from CQC Discord without whom TWH wouldn't have got so many points every season.

uY5YNeT.png

Here's when CMDR Blastard turns out to be your other account, sat nicely idle in CQC for you to pick off.

Lol.

Can't compete with that number of matches, but I think my Kill/Death Ratio was 30-40 or something?! ;)

I suppose because I wasn't playing in team matches and the like helped that...

Congratulations. I would like to see the return of the stats for the "organic" PvP in game. Like we had in gamma and early days in ED. You could go under stats in right hand panel and see all your PvP kills and stats. I don't understand FD's decision to remove this or fear to make this visible again.
I am more interested in this "organic PvP" in game stats. I think many Cmdr's who do active PvP are also.
My recent personal experience with CQC was one of a surprise at how easy I found it to kill players who were 10 "levels" or more highly ranked than me. Yes, it was entertaining but I would expect tougher opposition considering I have logged in 2-3 times in 5 years and I assume some of these Cmdr's were more "experienced" in CQC.
I still think your achievement is commendable.
What I would like to see is a CQC arena where we could bring our engineered ships from in game. Some ice rings thrown in. Would be nice to log in for a quick 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 with your mates without having to waste time travelling to the usual PvP places in game. Maybe have arena for small ships and arena for medium ships etc... If they threw in a server too that would be amazing so that we dont have P2P issues. It would probably go some way to making open play a better experience for many.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I would like to see the return of the stats for the "organic" PvP in game. Like we had in gamma and early days in ED. You could go under stats in right hand panel and see all your PvP kills and stats. I don't understand FD's decision to remove this or fear to make this visible again.
I am more interested in this "organic PvP" in game stats. I think many Cmdr's who do active PvP are also.
My recent personal experience with CQC was one of a surprise at how easy I found it to kill players who were 10 "levels" or more highly ranked than me. Yes, it was entertaining but I would expect tougher opposition considering I have logged in 2-3 times in 5 years and I assume some of these Cmdr's were more "experienced" in CQC.
I still think your achievement is commendable.
What I would like to see is a CQC arena where we could bring our engineered ships from in game. Some ice rings thrown in. Would be nice to log in for a quick 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 with your mates without having to waste time travelling to the usual PvP places in game. Maybe have arena for small ships and arena for medium ships etc... If they threw in a server too that would be amazing so that we dont have P2P issues. It would probably go some way to making open play a better experience for many.
In the first year of the game I proposed 'Arenas' (in ED) where CMDRs could take ships purely for completely legal PvP. All repairs/rebuilds would be fully covered by the TV companies broadcasting the battles across the bubble.

And different Arena's on offer could vary in nature along the lines you mentioned...

Top Bottom