24 Hours from now, we will witness the future of Exploration

Did they answer the question about the Night Vision in the SRV? I know it was asked multiple times in the chat, but I didn't hear an answer. If it doesn't work, I would imagine that might be to preserve the atmosphere of driving around in the dark. Don't forget, the SRV lights have more than one brightness setting. I'm ok with that, and after thinking about it, prefer it stay that way.
Agreed. I was on a mission to find a shipwreck, and when I got there the area was on the night side of the moon. Searching in the dark with lamps was quite a challenge (and I also had the option of waiting a few hours for the sunrise) and the new lighting would only make this starker. It was frustrating but also pretty cool to have to use lamps to search with (ie it was the planetary conditions that were frustrating, not the game). I'd like SRVs to rely on lamps at night; it makes them even more different from flying ships, and allows you to select different tools for different jobs.

Watched it just now, and liked what I saw, a great deal.

One thing I remembered when the lads were discussing "discovery" stuff feeding into the general playerbase information pool...

The first day the full ED galaxy went live, a mate and I joined up, and flew around doing stuff. One of the first things I did was to try out

- Flying off to a nearby system
- Scanning everything
- Flying back and selling it
- Asking my friend to "buy" the data for that system, and see what I'd found.

And... it didn't work. Exploration data sold by a player had zero bearing on exploration data subsequently bought by another player.

I remember being quite disappointed at that, because in my mind Universal Cartographics was a central storehouse of knowledge, being added to by us... but it was entirely a one-way affair, and therefore reduced down to nothing more than "here are some credits, thanks for playing".

So... new stuff seems to tick off something I thought should have been working like that in late 2014, lol.

Better late than never! :)

* FDev -really- missed the point of "Travellers". Travellers do NOT honk for credits (mostly), they honk to get a quick overview of the system to see whether or not it'll be interesting enough to spend more time in. But we knew this and we knew that FDev had completely missed the point here. It was more just stray hope that they had addressed this. Giving "honkers" more credits is almost completely pointless.
No, they did not. Note this part:
Once any Commander has discovered and sold data about any stellar body, every single Commander’s ship computer will be updated no matter where you are in the galaxy, giving you the basic information for those bodies once you enter the system.
So if you are not exploring but merely traveling, systems you reach will already be scanned. Thus you have all basic information at hand, even without scanning at all.

Agreed. I was on a mission to find a shipwreck, and when I got there the area was on the night side of the moon. Searching in the dark with lamps was quite a challenge (and I also had the option of waiting a few hours for the sunrise) and the new lighting would only make this starker. It was frustrating but also pretty cool to have to use lamps to search with (ie it was the planetary conditions that were frustrating, not the game). I'd like SRVs to rely on lamps at night; it makes them even more different from flying ships, and allows you to select different tools for different jobs.
In case it wasn't answered, night vision is only available in your ship.

Here ya go, the scanning mechanic portion starts at 49:00, but there are other important parts to it than come before and after, namely the parts about communal discoveries, surface scanning, and the codex. They spend a lot of time joking and explaining before they demonstrate.
Just needed to watch a second time to realize how much fun these new things will bring! Strange enough, I see myself pushed into roles that I always tried to avoid: the completionist or the efficiency junky - both suddenly looking shockingly appealing to me... :D

Top Bottom