24 Hours from now, we will witness the future of Exploration

In just a few hours, the meal will be on the plate. Sadly, we won't be able to actually eat it yet, but most of us should have a good idea by then if we want to or not.

Nah, many will misread the menu and complain about being brought to this restaurant, and why couldn't we have gone to that one down the road with the nice decor. Then they'll start a food fight with the complimentary rolls and we'll all get thrown out. Or something :)

Can't wait for this update and the effect of it on supercruise gameplay.

All commanders in a supercruise instance sitting absolutely stationary 1000ls above or below the entry star playing a solar system mini game for 10 minutes, totally oblivious and vulnerable to other commanders or NPCs wanting to interdict.

Oh goody - didn't realise they were adding the ability to be stationary in SC - good to know [up]

strataca-kansas-underground-salt-museum_t5.jpg

Who can say?

Valid point, but consider that explorers do not operate in the bubble... so the chances to meet someone else are very few...

It won't affect explorers far outside the bubble, but everybody else will have two choices inside the bubble - drift in SC completely blind or go to a choke point - nav beacon - to get the system map, USSs and other things currently discovered with the discovery scanner.

Increasing the time for non-explorers they require to find out where to go, increasing the risk by creating situations that anybody flying in open knows should be avoided like the plague, makes everything more tedious.

I bet that the majority will hate the new system after a few system scans.

Just a bit over three hours now.....

Before dreams get shattered and the hype bubble implodes…

It won't affect explorers far outside the bubble, but everybody else will have two choices inside the bubble - drift in SC completely blind or go to a choke point - nav beacon - to get the system map, USSs and other things currently discovered with the discovery scanner.

Increasing the time for non-explorers they require to find out where to go, increasing the risk by creating situations that anybody flying in open knows should be avoided like the plague, makes everything more tedious.

I bet that the majority will hate the new system after a few system scans.

Possibly. Lets wait and see how it works first. For most systems in the bubble you can buy the information, but so what if you have to sit there blind for a few moments, it just adds a bit of uncertainty and danger which the game is somewhat lacking at the moment.

Can't wait for this update and the effect of it on supercruise gameplay.

All commanders in a supercruise instance sitting absolutely stationary 1000ls above or below the entry star playing a solar system mini game for 10 minutes, totally oblivious and vulnerable to other commanders or NPCs wanting to interdict.
I wonder if the planet hunting part will be doable in normal space. Obviously not the probing part, that's tied to supercruise already.

Possibly. Lets wait and see how it works first. For most systems in the bubble you can buy the information, …

Requiring the player to dock at a nearby station that has the system information for the system the player wants to go to, adding more needles tedium.
And that data probably doesn't contain the USSs or the mission signal sources.

It probably depends a lot on how long the discovery mini-game takes if the new system is unbearable or just tedious. So let's wait and see if it's an epic fail or just simply really annoying.

Requiring the player to dock at a nearby station that has the system information for the system the player wants to go to, adding more needles tedium.
Personally I don't find flying my ships to stations tedious.

And that data probably doesn't contain the USSs or the mission signal sources.
Nope, but the scan will.

It probably depends a lot on how long the discovery mini-game takes if the new system is unbearable or just tedious. So let's wait and see if it's an epic fail or just simply really annoying.
Or an epic win. It could be great, could be bad could be somewhere inbetween the two.

call me sceptical.. but

ON THE LEFT: we have player expectation
ON THE RIGHT: we have the actual update

ValidShockingJavalina-max-1mb.gif

What's left is reality..

Time will tell. Hope i'm proven incorrect (and all this obsessive mystery can finally lift).

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but it's always been beeta for me (I was from the South East) and never seriously heard it another way until I heard Americans pronounce it, along with their vaitamins [haha]

South East as well, more specifically just outside of East London. When I first heard the word back in school, it was in relation to Beta Particles, and the teacher pronounced it "bay-ta". Later in life when I learned a little bit of the Greek alphabet just out of pure interest and the letter is pronounced "bay-ta". Later still, I get into Elite Dangerous and hear Ed say "beeta" and just assume it was a regional thing... Now I'm just learning that Americans say "bay-ta" and we're supposed to be saying "beeta"? Sounds really strange to me.

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but it's always been beeta for me (I was from the South East) and never seriously heard it another way until I heard Americans pronounce it, along with their vaitamins [haha]

It's always been Beeta for me too, but again, south east Londoner now living in Margate.

Observation: I find it curious that many of the players that have wished for deeper exploration gameplay also complain about the fact that adding gameplay adds time as well. It's going to be interesting to see how these players react tonight when they see firsthand that Fdev have been unable to defy the laws of time itself in order to please everyone.

I'd love to be optimistic about the new exploration mechanics, but it's pretty hard. Frontier has such a history of getting almost to the finish line and then dropping the ball 20 yards short...fingers crossed, I guess.

Additionally, we have the fact that a lot of the old guard explorers were quite vocally in hate with the new mechanics when they were first announced. I imagine that by this time tomorrow the forum will be running amok with unhappy people. I hope I'm wrong, but that's where I'd put my money if I had to bet.

Additionally, we have the fact that a lot of the old guard explorers were quite vocally in hate with the new mechanics when they were first announced. I imagine that by this time tomorrow the forum will be running amok with unhappy people. I hope I'm wrong, but that's where I'd put my money if I had to bet.

Thats because there are so many types of explorers. While the 'secret 17' said something was done with the feedback that we would like, I just cant see any system appeasing all types of explorers. I am sure there will be one topic where people who enjoyed what they saw say so, and a few dozen where every single person who didn't starts their own complaint topic. :)

My money is on:"My style of exploration demands seeing all relevant topographical info instantly, and anything demanding more than pressing one button is wasting my time."

I'd love to be optimistic about the new exploration mechanics, but it's pretty hard. Frontier has such a history of getting almost to the finish line and then dropping the ball 20 yards short...fingers crossed, I guess.

Of course it will because that is just how people are.

For myself, this is the first update since 2.0, and somewhat 3.0 that I have been anticipating the actual headline feature. That said, I have found things to enjoy with every update, so for me, my anticipation level is high for Q4, and my history with the updates indicates that I will be pleased.

Top Bottom