3.0 offers absolutely no protection against big player ships griefing small player ships

As per the features of 3.0:

Currently, any death that results from collisions will not apply to the notoriety penalties nor will it increase notoriety. This is to prevent griefing by cheap ships against expensive vessels.

So what about new players that get griefed by players in big ships? They just get away with it?

My friend just got rammed to death in his Cobra by an Imp Clipper, and now he doesn't even have enough money for his rebuy. So much for "improved" crime and punishment.

What a total loophole.

The thread title reeks of overgeneralization of an isolated incident. Otherwise your friend could just "git gud" and learn to avoid a rampaging clipper which shouldn't be that hard in a cobra.

Deleted member 115407

D
As per the features of 3.0:
My friend just got rammed to death in his Cobra by an Imp Clipper...

How'd that happen?

So it's ok with you that someone can actually do this, because you've decided to blame the victim?

Yes. Me too.

Sounds like a pretty interesting scenario. I'd like to know the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That only applies to Notoriety. All of the other penalties still apply. Sandro mentioned that this was a stop gap, and that Ramming, in general, was being reviewed. Stay under the speed limit, and avoid big ships.

Deleted member 115407

D
He went to a beacon to scan it for a mission, and the clipper was waiting there for players to show up. He kept ramming him out of position so he couldn't scan it, and eventually blew him up.

And seriously...the "git gud" comments are just ridiculous.

Hmmm.... well, there that is.

That only applies to Notoriety. All of the other penalties still apply. Sandro mentioned that this was a stop gap, and that Ramming, in general, was being reviewed. Stay under the speed limit, and avoid big ships.

You can be going 0 m/s and still be rammed to death.

Best thing you can tell your friend if they still have any desire to play left is to never play in Open. They'll be happier for it. Elite offers zero incentives, only punishments, for playing with other people.

Last edited:

Best thing you can tell your friend if they still have any desire to play left is to never play in Open. They'll be happier for it. Elite offers zero incentives, only punishments, for playing with other people.

I hear ya. I just never would have guessed the Commander was rammed to destruction while scanning a Nav. Beacon. It just never crossed my mind. I see what the OP wrote, and the speed limit thing doesn't apply, but who would have guessed? The iClipper had to hit him more than once too...

AFAIK ramming a ship to destruction does count as murder and will result in a bounty. Is that not the case? Has there been any change in 3.0?

AFAIK ramming a ship to destruction does count as murder and will result in a bounty. Is that not the case? Has there been any change in 3.0?

Not if you stay under the speed limit, also on the other side of this if you ram someone over the speed limit and they then die while you're in the instance you'll be counted as a murderer.

Not if you stay under the speed limit, also on the other side of this if you ram someone over the speed limit and they then die while you're in the instance you'll be counted as a murderer.

The interaction happened at a Nav. Beacon, not a Station, so no Speed Limit. I do think ramming a ship to destruction will result in a Bounty.

Yes, but because of the reverse logic here (large ship hitting small ship) the large ship re-buy is basically not impacted in the slightest (a sidewinder will barely even register in the re-buy). This was also predicted; and of course it wouldn't happen because don't be silly. If this was an Anarchy system, then the entire thing is moot anyway.

A clipper or cutter running over a sidey will barely impact rebuy. This wasn't considered in the race to punish people because again this would never happen.

Essentially, mechanic is working as intended; if the OP's friend was in a system with any security level, then the person will have accrued a bounty and that now carries additional cost. Anarchy? Not so much.

The interaction happened at a Nav. Beacon, not a Station, so no Speed Limit. I do think ramming a ship to destruction will result in a Bounty.

It never used to so long as you have not fired a shot on the ship you rammed. However if you have fired on the ship it does count, it's possible that this has been rework in the new update but it should be easy enough for someone to test.

That's horrible advice. These types of situations are easily avoided and easy to escape from with just a minor amount of skill. He would have a much more enjoyable time learning some Escape tactics then playing in a sterile environment.

Top Bottom