3.0 offers absolutely no protection against big player ships griefing small player ships

You can be going 0 m/s and still be rammed to death.

Best thing you can tell your friend if they still have any desire to play left is to never play in Open. They'll be happier for it. Elite offers zero incentives, only punishments, for playing with other people.

Good advice, especially for new players.

Unfortunately, Elite has the highest punishment for dying of any MMO type game I have played. (re-buy cost + loss of exploration data + loss of bounties + loss of cargo + possible fines for failed missions) Until this is changed, or there is some sort of Open-PVE mode/PVE Flag, a lot of people will stay in solo/private.

Scanning a beacon for a mission.

If he's new, he might not have anticipated there are players who get enjoyment out of ruining other people's game. It's an alien sentiment to me as well, so I could understand that.

But he was with experienced player. And if he certainly feels someone acting like jerk, just leg from there, fly 1km away, whatever. You can do scans from big distance.

C&P will never fix issues like these. Players have to learn. Or play private/solo.

But he was with experienced player. And if he certainly feels someone acting like jerk, just leg from there, fly 1km away, whatever. You can do scans from big distance.

C&P will never fix issues like these. Players have to learn. Or play private/solo.
Sure. I was just offering a reason why he didn't leg it immediately, which was not immediately to assume jerkiness of that magnitude.

Now he knows to expect it.

Sure. I was just offering a reason why he didn't leg it immediately, which was not immediately to assume jerkiness of that magnitude.

Now he knows to expect it.

And now he knows how to be salty about it and not to learn anything.

Not that we can help him in any way, but ohh boy this is saddening.

Small ships already have the best protection against ramming by big ships: they're agile and they're small.
Of course none of that helps if you're sitting stationary and not paying attention to your surroundings, especially in the presence of another player.

And yes, this is 'victim' blaming if you will.

Hello Commander Susanna!

Death by by ramming is clearly still the crime of murder. It simply does not get it's value inflated by Notoriety. The new crime system should not really be, in any way, more lenient, other than the ability to switch ships.

Thanks for the reply Sandro, much appreciated.

Scanning a beacon for a mission.

If he's new, he might not have anticipated there are players who get enjoyment out of ruining other people's game. It's an alien sentiment to me as well, so I could understand that.

It was an alien sentiment to me as well when I started playing ED so you have a good point. At least until it happened to me, then you have to accept that people will happily kill you for no other reason than that they can... Human beings have an amazing capacity to disappoint imo.

Last edited:
As per the features of 3.0:

So what about new players that get griefed by players in big ships? They just get away with it?

My friend just got rammed to death in his Cobra by an Imp Clipper, and now he doesn't even have enough money for his rebuy. So much for "improved" crime and punishment.

What a total loophole.

So, at the moment, notoriety doesn't apply to ramming. That's all - everything else does. This is the current situation to prevent an even larger griefing loophole. If you can come up with a realistic solution to this, I'm pretty sure everyone would like to hear about it.

But, aside from that - what is it that you want? Do you want constructive ideas, or do you only want to vent steam? If the latter, you're done - deal with it :cool:.

If the former - ok, now it's too late to undo what has been done, but the next time that happens, simply get out of the way. And no, that isn't "git gud" - that's more like "learn to fly". If you want to avoid meeting that CMDR again, look him up in your history tab of the comms panel, then add him to your ignore list. If you want to get back into the Cobra, take your Sidey to an unsuspicious system with a few stations aligned to your favourite superpower, then do a few missions to upgrade your rep, which will enable you to do a few missions more to get some money. But unless you like the Cobra for whatever specific reasons, I'd recommend to stay in the Sidey a little longer and upgrade that one. With the right upgrades, that one is a beast - among the fastest and most agile ships in the game. If you want to use it for serious combat, though, you'll need to get some PowerPlay weapons.

So he basically kept hanging out despite being attacked?

Like why?

Perhaps, as a player NEW to Elite he wasn't familiar with how TOXIC some of the online Elite Player base can be...I've been flying online for nearly 20 years (since the days of trying to get multiple people on a home-built server with DSL connections) and until I picked up Elite i'd NEVER encountered anything like it...
As a normal functioning adult who'd played online in better communities...he'd probably assume the first time that he was rammed it was an accidental collision...and only realise it was "Intent" after the second time...which leaves him less margin for error...

He went to a beacon to scan it for a mission, and the clipper was waiting there for players to show up. He kept ramming him out of position so he couldn't scan it, and eventually blew him up.

And seriously...the "git gud" comments are just ridiculous.

What kind of thought processes go through someone's head, to stay still whilst being rammed?

Seriously, the guy needs to learn the Ole! Manoeuvre[tm].

When a raging bull is charging towards you, you become like the matador, casually manoeuvring out of the way of the bull.

If the Clipper is hurtling towards you, it only takes a few metres of up/down/left/right lateral thrust to move sufficiently out of the way.

This isn't about victim blaming. Or about 'gittin gud'. This is about not being an idiot.

Tell your friend that next time he gets attacked he should run. C&P isn't there to make ship destruction impossible, otherwise you could always tell him to go to PG/Solo or block the attacking player.

Perhaps, as a player NEW to Elite he wasn't familiar with how TOXIC some of the online Elite Player base can be...I've been flying online for nearly 20 years (since the days of trying to get multiple people on a home-built server with DSL connections) and until I picked up Elite i'd NEVER encountered anything like it...
As a normal functioning adult who'd played online in better communities...he'd probably assume the first time that he was rammed it was an accidental collision...and only realise it was "Intent" after the second time...which leaves him less margin for error...

I don't buy it simply.

Elite is skill game. You have to be aware of your surroundings. Everything - well almost everything - has damage model.

It is not your 'ok, I have to shoot this thingy and do nothing else' game.

Be Aware! Be sceptical of everyone, unless they prove otherwise!

That's my motto, when playing Elite.

It works....over three years played & not one thread about griefing has been started by me.

I don't buy it simply

You're in a non-combat situation with a couple of neutral ships on your scanner...you're not wanted, don't have hardpoints deployed, you're not performing a mission for a power etc...
You're at a point where lots of ships might congregate (Beacon) both PC and NPC...
You're involved in a collision...
NEW to Elite...you'd assume it was a random accidental collision caused by carelessness or traffic...
UNTIL you're familiar with the idiocy of some Elite Players you'd never think...oh...this is a guy that hangs out at high traffic areas with the specific intention of ramming smaller Player Only Ships...
Would you?

Amazing how people are completely unable to tell the difference between

A) this specific incident happened, and I am whining about it happening
B) this specific incident makes me question the existence/necessity of a general rule aimed at punishing incidents of this sort.

Git gud/watch your surroundings people, you should probably git gud at reading.

Top Bottom