3.0 offers absolutely no protection against big player ships griefing small player ships

Amazing how people are completely unable to tell the difference between

A) this specific incident happened, and I am whining about it happening
B) this specific incident makes me question the existence/necessity of a general rule aimed at punishing incidents of this sort.

Git gud/watch your surroundings people, you should probably git gud at reading.

There already is a general rule punishing incidents of this sort: ramming someone to death is a crime and nets you a bounty.

Sandro Sammarco

Lead Designer
Frontier
Hello Commanders!

For the record, ramming is something we're still looking at, along with combat logging. Regardless though, I would offer all Commanders this advice:

* Always try to keep awareness of your sensor dislpay for hollow signatures, which represent other Commanders, and never ignore them.
* Always switch to a flight pattern that allows you to at least see how other Commanders' ships are flying relative to you.
* Immediately check power and power distribution management to ensure your vessel is combat/escape capable when other ships are present.
* Always keep an eye on Comms chatter and info panel messages when other ships are present.
* Treat proximity by any vessel as suspsicious.
* Always have a hyperspace route plotted.

Last edited:
While I feel OP's friend should of been a bit more aware and possibly moving, they do point out a loophole for murder-hobo's in fast ships (compared to their prey); just shoot till near death, finish off with ram for a reduced bounty and no notoriety increase so you avoid ATR.

Last edited:
Come on, bro.... Ive got my own opinions about ED and the current update but this was 100% avoidable. Git gud can be applied but we're talking extreme basic levels of getting good. Like the difference between 10 and 30 minutes of total hours played.

a clipper with dd5 is faster in normal flight than a boosting cobra ...

Doesn't matter how fast it is, once set on a fast collision course, the target ship merely has to jink up, down, left, or right by a few metres and that Clippers going to be hurtling past them with no way of correcting their trajectory in time to collide.

Sounds like a made up scenario to support the OP's ideas. Even if the guy was flying without a rebuy (and who the hell does that? the first advice I give anyone getting into elite is never to fly without the rebuy) no one would stay around after they'd been rammed a couple of times. The dude is obviously hostile and in a larger ship. Why would you keep scanning the beacon?

I simply don't believe that anyone would be dense enough to do that.

Hello Commanders!

For the record, ramming is something we're still looking at, along with combat logging. Regardless though, I would offer all Commanders this advice:

* Always try to keep awareness of your sensor dislpay for hollow signatures, which represent other Commanders, and never ignore them.
* Always switch to a flight pattern that allows you to at least see how other Commanders' ships are flying relative to you.
* Immediately check power and power distribution management to ensure your vessel is combat/escape capable when other ships are present.
* Always keep an eye on Comms chatter and info panel messages when other ships are present.
* Treat proximity by any vessel as suspsicious.
* Always have a hyperspace route plotted.

These are awesome tips, some of them I didn't even thought about.

While we are at 'tips', it would kick to have environmental messaging with such tips in game, don't ya think? Like giving NPCs something useful to say in chat ;)

While I feel OP's friend should of been a bit more aware and possibly moving, they do point out a loophole for murder-hobo's in fast ships (compared to their prey); just shoot till near death, finish off with ram for a reduced bounty and no notoriety increase so you avoid ATR.

That's a legit point actually.

I think it is not entirely true, I think final blow with ramming doesn't work if you have already assaulted ship.

Deleted member 38366

D
Look as I said earlier, it's not that hard to lateral-thrust out of the way of a charging ship. It's ridiculously hilarious when you do it too.

Ole!

Ole!

Good luck dodging a Wing of dedicated Rammers.

I remember in one of the Isinona Vids, he tried exactly that. In a Viper Mk.III, which is a highly agile Ship. He made it - but only very barely so.
This is why Ramming has been one of the favorite ganking tools since a very long time now.

And "checking the Scanner" doesn't work against silent running or cold Ships at a distance, since the Sensor mechanics offer zero useful Warning against something like a cold Clipper or comparable coming at you with >500m/sec.
Should you be in a larger or less agile Ship... you're simply toast, that's it. If you carry a heavily engineered C7/C8 Shield losing a ring or two will be your 1st Warning right there.

This whole "check your surroundings" mechanically doesn't work in many cases, unless you're lucky enough that i.e. Station Rammers are busy killing someone else or they're ramming newbies.

PS.
Remember Station traffic is restricted to <100m/sec in order to avoid getting suicide-ganked. So what again are the dodge chances at 99m/sec or less against one or more dedicated lulz-rammers? Oh right, near zero.
That's btw. the reason the "emergent gameplay Youtubers" always recommend to fly <100m/sec. It makes their job so much easier and affords them more attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in a non-combat situation with a couple of neutral ships on your scanner...you're not wanted, don't have hardpoints deployed, you're not performing a mission for a power etc...
You're at a point where lots of ships might congregate (Beacon) both PC and NPC...
You're involved in a collision...
NEW to Elite...you'd assume it was a random accidental collision caused by carelessness or traffic...
UNTIL you're familiar with the idiocy of some Elite Players you'd never think...oh...this is a guy that hangs out at high traffic areas with the specific intention of ramming smaller Player Only Ships...
Would you?

If you're new to Elite, you're not flying a Cobra. And while you might assume the first collision is accidental, you'd be a fool to think that of further such incidents...

Still, it's all a learning experience. :)

and now he doesn't even have enough money for his rebuy.

Forget about the rest.
THIS is your friend's true problem.

His ship might have been destroyed for all kinds of reasons of which griefing is just one.

Flying a ship you can't afford and getting destroyed is a self inflicted wound.
The rebuy of a Cobra is trivial.
If your friend did not even have that, then he deserves to be in a Sidey.

Unfortunately, Elite has the highest punishment for dying of any MMO type game I have played.

this says more about the type of mmo you play than about elite. 5% of your ship's value is hardly any punishment. loss of cargo/data can be tough, that's why you have to be extra careful when carrying valuable stuff.

and even with that ridiculous insurance policy (i take insurance companies are heavily state/charity subsidized in 3300), people still manage to screw up their rebuys. it's a classical instance of pebcak, don't blame the game, it has faults of its own but this is not one of them. if anything, it's too lenient and condescending to entitled whiners.

in a mmo i play right now, if i loose my ship it's gone forever, with everything in it, end of story. unless it was captured and i somehow manage to recap it. only seen that happen once. people still have fun sailing.

Good luck dodging a Wing of dedicated Rammers.

I remember in one of the Isinona Vids, he tried exactly that. In a Viper Mk.III, which is a highly agile Ship. He made it - but only very barely so.
This is why Ramming has been one of the favorite ganking tools since a very long time now.

And "checking the Scanner" doesn't work against silent running or cold Ships at a distance, since the Sensor mechanics offer zero useful Warning against something like a cold Clipper or comparable coming at you with >500m/sec.
Should you be in a larger or less agile Ship... you're simply toast, that's it. If you carry a heavily engineered C7/C8 Shield losing a ring or two will be your 1st Warning right there.

This whole "check your surroundings" mechanically doesn't work in many cases, unless you're lucky enough that i.e. Station Rammers are busy killing someone else or they're ramming newbies.

PS.
Remember Station traffic is restricted to <100m/sec in order to avoid getting suicide-ganked. So what again are the dodge chances at 99m/sec or less against one or more dedicated lulz-rammers? Oh right, near zero.
That's btw. the reason the "emergent gameplay Youtubers" always recommend to fly <100m/sec. It makes their job so much easier and affords them more attempts.

We aren't talking about station rammers though - this event OP talks about allegedly happened at a Nav Beacon.

Also - this was allegedly a single ship doing the ramming - did you even read the thread btw? :)

Of course, if you're surrounded by a wing of rammers, you alter your tactics to suit - getting out of there is a decent tactic in that regard.

And as for station ramming - I'm still of the opinion that flying less than 100m/s is still a good idea. Pilots should take responsibility for themselves and their own safety, and the game shouldn't be wrapping everyone up in cotton wool all the time.

Quoting my post from last week...

Predictions for threads that will start popping up next week:

• Elite Dangerous is dying because of 3.0
  • Beyond is still a grind
  • Griefers find a way to bypass the new C&P system
  • This patch is the final straw - I quit
  • Nerf (something in 3.0)!
  • 3.1 will be a total fail

Top Bottom