3,393LY below the galactic plane and back - the Great Escape from Trieneou AA-A h2

Amazing. Just amazing. Congratulations.

It is a shame the jump range does not update in real time while you are watching the ship info since 3.3 (should we raise a ticket?).
If you want to check how close you were to the death, in the logs you should be able to find the exact amount of fuel you had left in the FSDJump event.
Alas I’m on Xbox - I don’t think the console updater provides that information. Unfortunately I didn’t look at my jump range after I got back.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but that's very much in keeping with personal traditions.

Congratulations to @JonathanBurnage for being able to actually achieve the return journey! Even by my standards (and let's face it, I'm nuts) this was a huge amount of effort and the work put into the endeavor is very impressive. If only we operated on a shared platform we could have done this as a wing and died together when we tried and failed to debug the inevitable instancing issues in the allotted remaining time. I would love to have done this one myself, but my legacy sensors, while lighter than what's now possible, still put me about .1 ly beyond what that additional T of fuel can accomplish. (and some cmdrs criticize us for all that additional engineering for a mere 1/10th of a lightyear. Ha!)

I'm going to be in one more acknowledgement, to a Fuel Rat, Cmdr Toni Halliday for helping me with the initial Pre-Fueling test, and for recommending that I not let the Fuel Rats name the technique, since it would end up being overly risqué. Case in point, he suggested "Pre-Swallowing."

I have no idea if this technique has any application beyond this specific jump. Depending on how many limpets can be attached simultaneously, I suppose it could be used to fuel a tanker into a system with similar characteristics. If you're willing to take a bit of damage, you can also fuel scoop during the countdown, since once that countdown has begun you're going to jump.

The coolest part of all this, at least to me, is that after all the years this Elite has been out, there's still something new to learn about something as ubiquitous as fuel limpets.

I believe this is now the record holder for lowest returnable system. Perhaps @Allitnil or @Heavy Johnson knows the answer more definitively.

Congrats again to all involved!

- Taen

(...) I would love to have done this one myself, but my legacy sensors, while lighter than what's now possible, still put me about .1 ly beyond what that additional T of fuel can accomplish. (and some cmdrs criticize us for all that additional engineering for a mere 1/10th of a lightyear. Ha!)
(...)
Do I understand this correct?!
Even if doing the same (crazy) preparation/planning without a god rolled legacy sensor this can't be repeated!? If so, I 'ha' with you :D

Makes this one even more greater! :)

Do I understand this correct?!
Even if doing the same (crazy) preparation/planning without a god rolled legacy sensor this can't be repeated!? If so, I 'ha' with you :D

Makes this one even more greater! :)

You do indeed! This said, it's currently an open question as to whether or not multiple fuel limpets can operate simultaneously. If they can, then this system is reachable by anybody with a modest jumprange of 83.1 ly.

I also once got trapped in a system with the nearest star exactly .1ly beyond my reach. At the time, my max premium jumpo range was a now quaint 120.22, and the star was 120.32ly. Don't worry, though. I was back there within a day just barely light enough to escape. :D

Belated congrats!!
This really is pushing the boundaries (y)

Shame Fdev didn't see this. It would have made for a great bit of PR for their game!

Thanks! 😃
I have finally made a video of the voyage and the background to it; it’s in the first post at the bottom but for convenience here it is:
Source: https://youtu.be/M8cCxSCBjJU

What a thumbnail - I didn’t pick that!

It is so cool to be cited in something like this! (Being married to a college professor, I'm not usually the one getting all excited about this sort of thing) The quality editing and Interstellar soundtrack doesn't hurt, either.

I think we need to find another crazy difficult to escape location before Fleet Carriers render the whole concept moot.

- Cmdr Taen

Belated congrats!!
This really is pushing the boundaries (y)

Shame Fdev didn't see this. It would have made for a great bit of PR for their game!

OTOH, they might have just "fixed" fuel limpets in the same way that they fixed neutron double boosts.

Of course, I have yet to find another location that has the right characteristics to benefit from Prefueling. So it probably wouldn't be worth their devoting the development hours.

- Cmdr Taen

Top Bottom