30 essential animals meta-wishlist

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I like your enthusiasm! I have to say, however, that most likely there will never be 'final results'. If people keep posting lists, I'll keep updating.
Truth be told, I reckon the current sample size (59 participants) is quite representative of the community and some conclusions can be drawn. Ideally, we should have hundreds if not thousands of participants.

I think you have done a magnificent job. If we take into account that these kind of polls and the data they generate are often used by very large companies across a number of platforms to gather information on consumer behavior preferences and what specific products should be given priority, then Frontier should definitely take it into consideration.

I do agree however, that the 59 participants should be ideally a few hundred or thousands as you mentioned. Close to 3 million costumers had purchase this game by October 2020, and everything points to the aquatic DLC being a big hit, so until information is released, there is no telling how many more have gotten the game since, so that is quite a large group of people to be represented by 59 individuals.

That is not my biggest concern, the drawback for me here, is that this forum seems to run very differently than other platforms where this game is discussed. There is a large Northern and Central European presence in this forum and this often has a large influence on the dialogue and preferences that are often posted here. In contrast the game is extremely popular in Brazil for example as well as Mexico, yet the Spanish section of this forum is a ghost town, so a lot of those players do not post here.

Would you have an issue if I post your poll in a few other platforms, especially zoo enthusiasts forums where this game is a big hit, and see what we come up with? I could help you, and provide all the links to you, that way the count can remain accurate? Let me know what you think?

Hello @Danny_zoo, for curiosity, how do you know how many copies of the game have been sold? Can we check it on Steam?

I'm glad the game sales are good and hopefully we get a long support for it!

Hello @Danny_zoo, for curiosity, how do you know how many copies of the game have been sold? Can we check it on Steam?

I'm glad the game sales are good and hopefully we get a long support for it!

Hello Aramar, it was not Steam will try finding the link again and sending it to you, it was an article in Portuguese but I can translate it for you, the game as its predecessor Zoo Tycoon were a huge hit in Brazil. I think the games sales should be really good taking into consideration the time of the year and that the aquatic DLC was something the players really wanted.

Last edited:
Hello Aramar, it was not Steam will try finding the link again and sending it to you, it was an article in Portuguese but I can translate it for you, the game as its predecessor Zoo Tycoon were a huge hit in Brazil. I think the games sales should be really good taking into consideration the time of the year and that the aquatic DLC was something the players really wanted.
Thanks! I can read Portuguese, so don't worry about that :)

Any species of Manatee for me please. Anything else is just a bonus.

1Manatee
2Blackbuck
3Puma
4Mountain goat
5Shoebill
6African rhino
7Pudu
8Chevrotain
9Maned wolf
10Fishing cat
11Serval
12Caracal
13Babirusa
14Stripped hyena
15Malayan tapir
16Fennec fox
17Addax
18Argus
19Red River hog
20Scimitar horned oryx
21Spider monkey
22Coati
23Somali wild ass
24Rock wallaby
25Peccary
26Przewalski horse
27Gray langur
28Dhole
29Pere David deer
30Dama gazelle

Would you have an issue if I post your poll in a few other platforms, especially zoo enthusiasts forums where this game is a big hit, and see what we come up with? I could help you, and provide all the links to you, that way the count can remain accurate? Let me know what you think?
Quite the opposite, Danny. I would like this thread/poll to be as widespread as possible in all platforms, so feel free to share it wherever you like.
But using animal lists from users from other platforms different from this forum would be a bit problematic. Even if the exact same format and guidelines are used in those other platforms. Why do I think it'd be problematic?
1) Catching up with lists from various platforms would be a bit of a hassle and too time consuming, even if I get help from you or other people.
2) Probably the most important issue: identity of the participants. And believe me, there is no workaround for this one. Even in this forum, there can be people who use various accounts and therefore post various wishlists. Imagine extrapolating this circumstance to Facebook, reddit, other forums, etc. A single person could post dozens of lists. And then there is also the problem of lists from people who don't own the game, which could also be the case even in this forum (though not likely). As much as I would like more and more people participating, I cannot support that and it'd be impossible to control.
3) Frontier CMs have said in several occasions that the best way to provide feedback is through their forums, so I think that if we present data solely from this platform the message would be more robust and reliable.

Again, I insist I want as many people as possible to take part in this so please share this link in those forums if you want! But honestly I would prefer if people from other platforms just logged in or registered here and posted their wishlists in this very thread. It makes everything much easier.
Also, I would be very interested to know about these other forums. Please, if you will, send me links to them through PMs! I'd appreciate it.

Extraordinary results so far. Thanks Random_goat 🤩

I would really never guessed that European Lynx would be so high on the list and also if we would add all the species of Lynx to the one vote it would get even more votes than a Meerkat. Very similar situation with Ibex if we would add Nubian, Alpine and Iberian it would end up much higher on the list. Shocking because I thought that both of those species are not so desired by the community but I was wrong.

This is an interesting observation, now I would love to think that the reason for the Iberian Lynx to be ranked so high is because being the world's most endangered cat earned their spot to be in this game. But I do not think this is the case, my reasoning is that this was one of the animals featured in the data mining that took place after the beta was released, so the players ran with it, and have been expecting the Iberian Lynx ever since. There is also the possibility that a great percentage of the players that frequently post in this forum are Europeans, and many of them want to see European species in the game, it seems to be an important issue for them. Lastly there is the Zoo Tycoon effect, that is just something I have made up, but it is the best way I can understand it. So Zoo Tycoon comes along many years ago, a game based loosely on the concept of building and managing a zoo, and it is my believe that had a lynx in it, not sure if it was the Iberian or what it was, but they did. Now many years later there is a large segment of the PZ community that have a sentiment of nostalgia for this game and feel that every animal featured there has to somehow either be part of this game or take precedent over others. Simply put if it was part of Zoo Tycoon then it needs to be part of PZ.

That makes me wonder, should we really specify species and subspecies so exactly or should we just use the types of animals like sea lion or lynx or ibex or leopard or African rhino or gibbon or beaver?

This is another great observation, I would interested to see how this list changes if presented in a different platform where most players are very familiar with RL zoos, species subspecies etc. You have a lot of knowledgeable and passionate players in this forum, but you also get your random, "I wish they just add another monkey" ok which monkey? "The game is missing a leopard" Frontier adds the Amur Leopard "Wait that leopard looks very similar to the snow leopard, a mod could have done that, it moves exactly like it, there is no new animations, there is not even a melanistic variation of it, this is not the leopard I had in mind" Not saying this is what is going to happen but it is very possible. Many times the players themselves do not even realize what they are asking for.

I will give you an example completely unrelated, one of the mods created an African Penguin species that aside from a neck glitching situation, looks exactly the part. The same mod went ahead and changed the Red Panda to what he called a Binturong and it was a disaster, honestly not sure why he would even show that. I know his standards are high, so he has to know that it looks absolutely nothing like a Binturong. Now ideally we would receive every single possible animal in this game, but most of us know that is just not possible. I want an official Frontier African Penguin and Binturong, but if I could only have one, it would definitely be the Binturong, because I know that it would be close to impossible for a mod to do them justice given the original models currently available.

An Amur Leopard can easily be created out of a Snow Leopard, the change will be miniscule, mostly coloration and minor anatomic adjustments. An Indian/African/Indochinese Leopard would be a lot more difficult to create, as not only their anatomy is completely different but also the range of movement associated with their mechanics would be night and day from anything we have in the game. In short the players will end up exactly with they want and have requested, but it will handicap the future diversity of the game. Of course I understand that many people do not see it this way, and currently do not care about it. The day official support ends and mods are the only alternative, they might change their mind, but it would be too late then.

Quite the opposite, Danny. I would like this thread/poll to be as widespread as possible in all platforms, so feel free to share it wherever you like.
But using animal lists from users from other platforms different from this forum would be a bit problematic. Even if the exact same format and guidelines are used in those other platforms. Why do I think it'd be problematic?
1) Catching up with lists from various platforms would be a bit of a hassle and too time consuming, even if I get help from you or other people.
2) Probably the most important issue: identity of the participants. And believe me, there is no workaround for this one. Even in this forum, there can be people who use various accounts and therefore post various wishlists. Imagine extrapolating this circumstance to Facebook, reddit, other forums, etc. A single person could post dozens of lists. And then there is also the problem of lists from people who don't own the game, which could also be the case even in this forum (though not likely). As much as I would like more and more people participating, I cannot support that and it'd be impossible to control.
3) Frontier CMs have said in several occasions that the best way to provide feedback is through their forums, so I think that if we present data solely from this platform the message would be more robust and reliable.

Again, I insist I want as many people as possible to take part in this so please share this link in those forums if you want! But honestly I would prefer if people from other platforms just logged in or registered here and posted their wishlists in this very thread. It makes everything much easier.
Also, I would be very interested to know about these other forums. Please, if you will, send me links to them through PMs! I'd appreciate it.

That makes perfect sense random goat, and I agree with you that there is no way to truly keep up with it once it is advertised in many other platforms assuming they were to answer the poll there. Would definitely provide the link to others and encouraged them to join the forum. Unfortunately this has not worked well in the past, as you know this is primarily a video game community here, and even for me it was quite rough in the beginning. The criticism in a lot of these platforms when it comes to the game is completely different than in this forum, as now you are dealing with a group of people that have been around zoos for quite some time, but are mostly unfamiliar with video games. As you well mentioned there are many that do not even own the game but still comment on anything and everything wrong with it, in their eyes, lol. Will send you a private PM as I do not want to criticize anyone there or here. I can also imagine larger platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Reddit etc being an absolute problem, if hundreds were to take part in the poll. Never the less this forum can be quite subjective as well and it is hard to base the wants of millions on 58 players as well.

Sent you a PM with a list of platforms, where the users might offer a very different perspective.

1. Moose
2. Alpaca
3. Jaguarundi
4. Raccoon
5. Leopard seal
6. Maned wolf
7. Fossa
8. Wolverine
9. Gibbon
10. Porcupine
11. Mustang
12. Przewalski horse
13. Manatee
14. Striped hyena
15. Vapiti
16. Dromedary camel
17. Tanuki
18. Tufted deer
19. Fallow deer
20. Sloth
21. Red fox
22. Ocelot
23. Capybara
24. Tasmanian devil
25. Puffin
26. Tamandua
27. Boar
28. Puma
29. Badger
30. Serval

That makes me wonder, should we really specify species and subspecies so exactly or should we just use the types of animals like sea lion or lynx or ibex or leopard or African rhino or gibbon or beaver?

This is another great observation, I would interested to see how this list changes if presented in a different platform where most players are very familiar with RL zoos, species subspecies etc. You have a lot of knowledgeable and passionate players in this forum, but you also get your random, "I wish they just add another monkey" ok which monkey? "The game is missing a leopard" Frontier adds the Amur Leopard "Wait that leopard looks very similar to the snow leopard, a mod could have done that, it moves exactly like it, there is no new animations, there is not even a melanistic variation of it, this is not the leopard I had in mind" Not saying this is what is going to happen but it is very possible. Many times the players themselves do not even realize what they are asking for.

I will give you an example completely unrelated, one of the mods created an African Penguin species that aside from a neck glitching situation, looks exactly the part. The same mod went ahead and changed the Red Panda to what he called a Binturong and it was a disaster, honestly not sure why he would even show that. I know his standards are high, so he has to know that it looks absolutely nothing like a Binturong. Now ideally we would receive every single possible animal in this game, but most of us know that is just not possible. I want an official Frontier African Penguin and Binturong, but if I could only have one, it would definitely be the Binturong, because I know that it would be close to impossible for a mod to do them justice given the original models currently available.

An Amur Leopard can easily be created out of a Snow Leopard, the change will be miniscule, mostly coloration and minor anatomic adjustments. An Indian/African/Indochinese Leopard would be a lot more difficult to create, as not only their anatomy is completely different but also the range of movement associated with their mechanics would be night and day from anything we have in the game. In short the players will end up exactly with they want and have requested, but it will handicap the future diversity of the game. Of course I understand that many people do not see it this way, and currently do not care about it. The day official support ends and mods are the only alternative, they might change their mind, but it would be too late then.
I was myself a zookeeper and aquarist for a couple of years (made a break to return to university and take another degree) and you are right. Many casual players lack a lot of zoological knowledge and understanding of how a zoo actually works.
There are Zoos that actually house several subspecies of the same species (multiple tiger subspecies, 2 subspecies of African buffalo etc). Something that fascinates me is unique species rare to see in zoos. Those less known by the great public. But of course, I understand the appeal for the big stars. I still hope frontier opens their hands over some sort of modding tool or they start reskinning some of the current rigs to give us more species diversity.

I agree, that's my personal view on this as well. Still want to see a Humboldt's/African Penguin but I really think if they add 1 smaller penguin species, that's definately the last penguin for PZ.

I'd actually prefer a smaller penguin species with different biome requirements over 2 African Rhinos.
I'd love to see both Rhinos but when it comes to similar species - I like to see a difference in something else: Biome or other habitat requirements. It would just feel like a copy of an existing in-game species.
Maybe at some point that would be great but at this moment, not my first choice.

The King Penguin was a bad choice for the aquatic dlc.

Extraordinary results so far. Thanks Random_goat 🤩

I would really never guessed that European Lynx would be so high on the list and also if we would add all the species of Lynx to the one vote it would get even more votes than a Meerkat. Very similar situation with Ibex if we would add Nubian, Alpine and Iberian it would end up much higher on the list. Shocking because I thought that both of those species are not so desired by the community but I was wrong.

This is an interesting observation, now I would love to think that the reason for the Iberian Lynx to be ranked so high is because being the world's most endangered cat earned their spot to be in this game. But I do not think this is the case, my reasoning is that this was one of the animals featured in the data mining that took place after the beta was released, so the players ran with it, and have been expecting the Iberian Lynx ever since. There is also the possibility that a great percentage of the players that frequently post in this forum are Europeans, and many of them want to see European species in the game, it seems to be an important issue for them. Lastly there is the Zoo Tycoon effect, that is just something I have made up, but it is the best way I can understand it. So Zoo Tycoon comes along many years ago, a game based loosely on the concept of building and managing a zoo, and it is my believe that had a lynx in it, not sure if it was the Iberian or what it was, but they did. Now many years later there is a large segment of the PZ community that have a sentiment of nostalgia for this game and feel that every animal featured there has to somehow either be part of this game or take precedent over others. Simply put if it was part of Zoo Tycoon then it needs to be part of PZ.

There were lynx found in the planet zoo datamining??? 😳 Did I read that correctly? Where did you see that! I am very excited now

On 25th DEC This would be the 30 animals added by Frontier if our list would go through! 30 most voted species. It is an interesting list. Here are my comments/analysis
  1. Meerkat - after Australian animals and penguins, now already in the game, definitively it is the most request animal out there! It will a challenge to Frontier because these guys dig a lot! It is also a very popular and common species in zoos worldwide.
  2. White Rhino - Understandable, because it is one of the most iconic species of Africa and the most numerous rhino species in zoos. The lack of an African rhino in the base game was a surprise. Although I love the Indian rhino I have already missed an African species when I build my African sections.
  3. Moose - Very North American iconic species. It also occurs in Europe which is amazing! Also, a surprise for not being in the base game. It was a classic of Zoo tycoon Not very common in Zoos but I will welcome it to the game.
  4. Capybara - Amazing to see the love for capybaras. I think it is mostly because people are hungry for smaller animals and players missed it in the South American pack. I like them as well. It was an animal never present in ZT2 so I am very curious to see how it would work in PZ.
  5. Fennec Fox - I rarely have seen these cuties in European Zoos but I would love to have some in my zoos. I think the nostalgia from ZT2 is behind so many people wishing this one.
  6. California Sea Lion - A very charismatic animal in many zoos around the world. I have the strong feeling it didn't make into the aquatic pack because frontier might want to introduce animal shows in the future and they did not want to deliver a sea lion before working on that.
  7. Puma/Cougar/Mountain Lion - Like the moose it is a very iconic N.American. And although I do not feel the lack of big cats in the game I understand the desire for it and its uniqueness. I have myself included it in my list because N America will never be completed without the puma.
  8. Alpine Ibex - It is a classic from ZT and the game needs more alpine animals. Nostalgia is the main reason to see it so hight.
  9. Eurasian Lynx - This one is the real surprise!! I was expecting the Canadian lynx or the bobcat to be more desirable(many this forum does not have many Americans and Canadians). It will be amazing to have it because it is a very beautiful felid and a very iconic Eurasian animal.
  10. Przewalski's Horse - Once again, very nostalgic from ZT2 (one of my favs!) It isn't super common in zoos but because it is threatened it fits amazingly into the game conservation focus.
  11. Asian Leopard (In order of votes: Amur, Sri Lankan, Indian, Persian) - I have a preference for the African subspecies but like the tiger, I think the game would benefit from having the Amur subspecies (because it is the most distinguishable Asian subspecies from the African one and covers a different biome).
  12. Lar Gibbon - The only anthropoid species missing. It will be challenging for frontier to make the brachiation of the species. It is my favourite primate so I would love to see it. It is also very commonly seen in zoos.
  13. North American Beaver - Very interesting animal to have in the game as well! The swimming and the dam-building will be very interesting behaviours to see in the game. Again a classic from Zoo tycoon and a great addition to the North American roster.
  14. Asian small-clawed otter - I would prefer the European otter or the Sea otter, but an Asian species is good too. I can just think about Pairi Daiza in Belgium where they co-habit with the orangutans in the same enclosure. It can make up some amazing ideas.
  15. Tasmanian Devil - A much better addition than the dingo on my honest opinion! Although I miss other Australian animals like the echidna and the wombat more. But, having a carnivore marsupial would be much more enriching than having one more dog like the dingo. I understand that players missed it and want them in the future. Also not very common in zoos so it has a uniqueness taste to it!
  16. Clouded Leopard - Interesting species, although it does not says much to me it would be a nice addition as a medium-size felid to an Asian section of a zoo.
  17. Maned Wolf - I am impressed that so many people wish this species. I mean it does not seem to be a super well know the animal and at least it is not frequently seen in European zoos. Also, an incredible addition to south America especially because it is not a tropical rainforest animal.
  18. Wolverine - The biggest mustelid in the world is of curse something impressive to have in our zoos! Also a classic from ZT2. A great addition in my opinion to create a diverse North American roster. I believe it is not very common in zoos too.
  19. American Alligator - Another Iconic N American animal. There is a scenery piece that resembles an alligator so hopefully, we might get it in the future.
  20. Malayan Tapir It is my favourite species of tapir with its characteristic pattern and its big size! I always feel that my south-east Asian sections miss this amazing animal.
  21. Three Toed Sloth - Very curious animal to have in the game! Because it will not move a lot! :ROFLMAO:It might even raise the question if it would suit better as an exhibit animal.
  22. Binturong - I like it. I am happy that so many people like it. I think people want more small animals. And one more Asian animal is always welcome!
  23. Emu - I loved to see the cassowary in the Australia pack! It was a great twist when many believe that the emu would the chosen one. And that is why I do not see the emu as a priority for Australian fauna at the moment. But I understand that many people got disappointed when it was not present in the pack.
  24. Babirusa - Very curious creature that is not super common in zoos but would bring a lot of uniqueness! And Indonesia needs more animal species!!
  25. Hamadryas Baboon - A species of baboon was present in both ZT games and I think more primates are positive since zoos usually house a large number of species.
  26. Addax - A very beautiful antelope at high risk of extinction. One of my choices too. Because it is extinct in the wild, having in the game would make a lot of sense.
  27. Arctic Fox - Like the fennec an amazing addition. Unfortunately not present in the arctic pack (it could be there instead of the wolf)
  28. Black Howler Monkey - The capuchin monkey already occupies the niche of New-world primate in the game, but there is of course more that can be included! The spider monkey could be another possibility!
  29. Black Rhino - Like the white rhino, a very common and iconic species in many zoos around the world. Ideally, I would like to see both but it is hard to tell each one. Seeing both being so popular gives me hope to see the 2 species in the future of the game.
  30. Grey Crowned Crane - More birds is definitively something that the game needs! Many aquatic large mostly ground birds can integrate the game easily. This one wouldn't be my first choice but it is a beautiful species to include as well. I would go for the Japanese crane to have not only animals from Africa all the time and get one more animal from Japan.

Last edited:
1. Alpine Ibex
2. Scimitar horned Oryx
3. Addax
4. Arctic Fox
5. Caracal
6. Cabybara
7. Bobcat
8. Beaver
9. Badger
10. Wolverine
11. Binturong
12. Markhor
13. Musk ox
14. Przewlski's horse
15. Lynx
16. Some type of African Rhino
17. Kudu
18. Moose
19. California Sea Lion
20. Malayan Tapir
21. Clouded Leopard
22. Red River Hog
23. American Alligator
24. Dromedary Camel
25. Saiga Antelope
26. White throated monitor
27. Giant Salamander
28. Cayman Tree Lizard
29. Sailfin Dragon
30. Pacific octopus

NuvoMen

Banned
  1. Nene geese - the most important!!!! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_(bird)
  2. Nandu - want to see them dancing 🕺🏿
  3. Emu - blue headed dinos
  4. Saddle billed stork - such a colorful and elegant bird
  5. Grey crowned crane - we simply need cranes
  6. Red crowned crane - iconic Japanese crane
  7. Dhole - most amazing social dog species in the world for me
  8. Ethiopian wolf - we had them in ZT2 and such a rarity
  9. Takin - critter from another world
  10. Mute swan - let’s revive our lakes
  11. Great bustard - biggest flying bird
  12. Scimitar horned oryx - no idea why it wasn’t in the base game
  13. Addax - just as the above
  14. Ocelot - small cat much cuter than lynx
  15. Somali wild ass - we need a donkey
  16. Secretary bird - first bird of prey
  17. Brazilian tapir - prehistoric looking critter
  18. Kiwi - we need night bird
  19. Jabiru - I know another stork but birds are essential for me
  20. Shoebill - looks so grumpy and goofy that we need it
  21. African ground hornbill - great for many savanna exibits
  22. Malayan tapir - amazing colors and size
  23. Maned wolf - funny doggo on stilts
  24. Volture guinea fowl - they would make every exibit alive
  25. Oceallated turkey - most colorful bird I have ever seen
  26. Australian pelican - just look in to these eyes
  27. Coati mundi - saw them in San Diego zoo - the best mammals in zoo’s for me
  28. Collared Peccary - live in deserts and rainforests very versatile animal
  29. Red River hog - looks like swine brother of bongo
  30. Babirusa - pig deer

On 25th DEC This would be the 30 animals added by Frontier if our list would go through! 30 most voted species. It is an interesting list. Here are my comments/analysis

I snipped the list because no need for me to have to have the whole list repeated, but it's a really good summation of where things are/were as of yesterday. Of course, one of my most wanted would be right below the cutoff at 31 :LOL: interesting that the Babirusa is the most requested porcine so far, but that's great they're up there. And you got my thinking about the sloth - given its very slow movement, I hadn't thought about this before but I would be okay with a sloth as an exhibit species. But definitely only if we get larger exhibits.

Yeah the perk of wading birds such as cranes, storks or ibises is that they are a very good option for mixed exhibits and even for housing them with large herbivores, this way making more compelling habitats.
I'm not very sold on a sloth as a habitat animal. I hope one of the upcoming updates includes larger terrariums.

1. Meerkat
2. African Leopard
3. Humboldt penguin
4. Crested penguin
5. White Rhinoceros
6. American Alligator
7. Platypus
8. Eurasian Lynx
9. Cougar
10. Sun Bear
11. Alpine Ibex
12. Moose
13. Red Deer
14. Malaysian Tapir
15. Dikdik
16. Three toed Sloth
17. American Beaver
18. Kiwi
19. Spectacled Bear
20. American Pelican
21. Californian Sea Lion
22. Walrus
23. Maned Wolf
24. Alpine Marmot
25. Siamang
26. Giant Armadillo
27. Babirusa
28. Common Porcupine
29. Zebra Mongoose
30. Capybara

Clone animals from what we already have would be just enough for me:

1. American black bear
  2. Spectacled bear
  3. Red deer
  4. Amur leopard
  5. African leopard
  6. Clouded leopard
  7. Sumatran tiger
  8. Cougar
  9. Lynx
  10. Kudu
  11. Arabian oryx
  12. Scimitar horned oryx
  13. Lion tailed macaque
  14. Jungle Buffalo
  15. Dromedary
  16. Black rhino
  17. White rhino
  18. Gwanaco
  19. Bighorn sheep
  20. Ibex
  21. Malayan tapir
  22. White roofed lemur
  23. Red River hog
  24. Babirusa
  25. Grevy’s zebra
  26. Somali wild ass
  27. Przewalski horse
  28. Persian Onager
  29. American alligator
  30. Nile crocodile

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom