3rd DLC Pack Discussion - What region do you think it will cover? When do you see it releasing?

Can I ask what games you refer to that you play with high+ graphics? Any simulation games? And another thing we see frequently on this forum, people just say 'game should be more optimised' when they have issues expecting the game to constantly run at high FPS. And I think your 1st post is a bit unrealistic, having every single dev working on bugs is ridiculous. You do realise they have different teams for various areas of the game? Free content as a bonus for our patience? Yep that's not happening, certainly not for the reason you mentioned.

My computer can run Sims 4 with many of its expansions + downloads, Farming Simulator 19 + 100 mods, Civ 6, Witcher 3 and AC Odyssey, among others. On high or ultra. All without breaking a sweat or dipping below 40 fps. Is it really that ridiculous to expect PZ to run smoothly with 20+ frames when I've barely built up a quarter of the map? And at this stage, most of the games I mentioned are the same price as PZ + DLCs. So Frontier is charging Triple A prices for a game that's not even half as polished as most Triple A games, and runs half as well. Regular price PZ "Premium Edition" on Canadian Steam is $87.96. That's $7.96 more than Red Dead Redemption, which was released at the same time, had a rough start, but has pulled through by this time and has comparatively better performance vs PZ, especially considering how demanding it is. I wonder what Rockstar was working on the past 9 months? Oh, right. Bug fixes. And without a DLC in sight.

Yes, I'm just a bit salty. But this is also off-topic, so I'll buzz off and leave you guys to enjoy your DLC discussion. 😅

blue-penguins-group.png

I'm actually obsessed with them, they are so cute...

I would like King Penguins or Emperor Penguins and Humboldt Penguins in the Game. But I think I would be happy with every Species of Penguin

I would like King Penguins or Emperor Penguins and Humboldt Penguins in the Game. But I think I would be happy with every Species of Penguin
Same here. Emperor Penguins not so much - IRL very rare in captivity.
Happy with any penguin but prefer the King Penguin. Most times I prefer the flagship species over the other species.

If I was a betting man, Australia is what I'd choose
Me too, mainly the reason why I think North America also has a good chance is the unique specific features for some Australian animals : Kangaroo & Koala

Did they nail those features for the Australian animals? I'm not sure if I like a Kangaroo/Koala without the proper features. Somewhat similar to the polar bear not able to dive (not starting a diving discussion :p).

Honest question here, why are so many people anxious for a European DLC? What species are you envisioning that you think the game desperately needs? In my experience (as a non-European), Europe is poorly represented in zoos because the native fauna is not considered "exotic" enough to draw a crowd. I personally hope that we don't get any more brown bear or wolf subspecies at this point. We don't need a another bison species, either. I know the otter is highly anticipated, but from an animation standpoint I don't think it is happening anytime soon. Also I don't think that the European otter (Lutra lutra) is the most likely candidate when we do get otters; personally I would vote for one of the South American species. Squirrels, red fox, wild boar, badger are all cosmopolitan species that are very low on my wishlist for inclusion. We could use a caprid in the game so Pyrenean ibex would be a good choice. The red deer is certainly iconic in conjuring images of Britain, but I have never seen one in a zoo; game farms yes, but not zoos.

Honest question here, why are so many people anxious for a European DLC? What species are you envisioning that you think the game desperately needs? In my experience (as a non-European), Europe is poorly represented in zoos because the native fauna is not considered "exotic" enough to draw a crowd. I personally hope that we don't get any more brown bear or wolf subspecies at this point. We don't need a another bison species, either. I know the otter is highly anticipated, but from an animation standpoint I don't think it is happening anytime soon. Also I don't think that the European otter (Lutra lutra) is the most likely candidate when we do get otters; personally I would vote for one of the South American species. Squirrels, red fox, wild boar, badger are all cosmopolitan species that are very low on my wishlist for inclusion. We could use a caprid in the game so Pyrenean ibex would be a good choice. The red deer is certainly iconic in conjuring images of Britain, but I have never seen one in a zoo; game farms yes, but not zoos.

Have to agree with this even when I am from Europe. We have some cool animals but they are not the animals that come to my mind when someone says ZOO. I share your concers about very similar animals like european bison, another wolf or brown bear, do we really need those if the difference would be so minimal? Basically just a different name, I think it is not worth. But I guess people want their region to be represented. The only animals I would probably want from Europe are lynx, beaver, wolverines...animals that are not similar to anything we already have really.

Because most people want to see their "personal important" animals represented in the game. I've seen quite a few European lists with a nice selection.
I know that a lot of people care about local animals.

I think it's a matter of personal experience in looking to zoo animals/visiting zoos:
Like most European zoos don't pay much attention to Australian animals. For example: my nephews/nieces don't even care about those animals but mostly the exotic ones (Africa/SA/Asia/colder regions).
Same goes with a lot of European animals, they are present but not in the spotlight. Most people in RL zoos don't care about them much except when they have offspring.

So I don't get why so many people want Australian animals because in RL most people in European zoos don't pay that much attention to those animals as well (if they are present at all)
Personally I think the Kangaroo is a must-have for a zoo game (just for the uniqueness and presence in other games) but other species not that important. Koalas would be nice but they are barely active.
Koalas/Tasmanian Devils are very rare in European zoos (or not at all). We already have the Ostrich, so an Emu is not interesting enough. If you want, you can criticize any continent suggestion/theme :D

When I go to the zoo the African/Asian/South American species are mainly the reason for visiting. I want to see animals that you don't get to see everyday.

I’m a Northern European who likes cold climate zoos and I’m currently working on a zoo set in Australia which is going really well after a few stops and starts.

So I have definite personal preferences.

I’m quite serious about zoos. My Australian zoo only has animals found in Australian zoos, the same applied when I made a New Zealand zoo in ZT2. I don’t make substitutions, it has to be realistic or at least plausible for me with an appropriate lineup of animals for that kind of zoo.

I think Australian animals are iconic and are definitely a noticeable gap in the game.

European zoos do indeed pay attention to them.

Emus and wallabies are some of the most commonly found animals in European zoos, especially smaller collections. Emu are actually the sixth most common species in Europe. An ostrich is a totally different animal with a very different zoo ‘niche’.

Koalas are iconic and you couldn’t have an Australian zoo without them. Tasmanian devils have a compelling conservation story and are increasing in numbers outside of Australia with Prague Zoo the latest collection to receive them. Koalas are present in 14 EAZA zoos and are found in many other zoos internationally.

A European bison is a totally different animal to a North American bison. I get that some people don’t feel the need for both but if I build a typical Central European/Nordic style zoo or Wildpark with native species there are some I would really like and I wouldn’t include a North American bison. I’d love to see in rough order of preference :

Alpine ibex
Eurasian lynx
Elk/moose (alces alces) - could also be North America
Wolverine - could also be North America
Eurasian otter
Wisent/European bison
Beaver - could also be North America
Wild boar
Arctic fox
Red deer

I wouldn’t be keen on Iberian ibex and lynx as the zoos they are found in are very limited. We aren’t going to get every species in captivity so I think the more widespread species would be better.

I don’t see the need for another wolf and I can live with the bears we have to use in a European context.

So I do hope for a European pack eventually but my first hope is for a representative Australian pack with the most iconic species included.

Last edited:
Pretty much what NL Mutso said.

Yeah I'd say there are at least 4 interesting animals who could make it to an European DLC and are arguably unique/different from what we have (plus much requested).
Those are the red fox, red deer, alpine ibex and either Iberian/Eurasian lynx, all of them very characteristic in Europe.

Then the list is endless: fallow deer, roe deer, moose, Cretan goat, chamois, Pyrenean chamois, Spanish ibex, mouflon, wild boar, wisent, some mustelids including badger, otter etc., alpine marmot, european hare, even common genet or barbary macaque (though controversial).

But I do agree that many of these wouldn't be as interesting and/or are not as appealing/coherent as their North American or Asian versions. It wouldn't be too bad to see some of them being added, though.

I heard, that Frontier will be on the PC Game Show, so I could think of a bigger DLC, maybe Australia, with new Animals, bulding stuff and new campaings. Like the Arctic DLC, but maybe more animals. Or they will show the new fur variations, what would be even better I think.

The main question is: What defines “interesting”?

I guess that the player base is mostly located in Europe and N-America. Is this the reason, why well-known animals from our home continents seem to be more boring than “exotic” ones? Is a Moos really so boring for a South Korean zoo visitor, though?

I don’t know. Personally, I (European citizen) find Wisents at least as fascinating as an American Buffalo. Especially after reading about it being considered a “forest god” in early European cultures.
Furthermore, I would prefer an European Lynx over an African Lion any time! They are so much more fascinating creatures!

Interest and beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and for me, there is much to love. Here in Europe as much as in all the other areas of the world.

Furthermore, if we just assume that European animals are in fact boring for the sake of discussion: some people want to build different kinds of zoos. It doesn’t always have to be the big, spectacular high-class zoo. I alwasy wanted to create a small family driven zoo or maybe a lokal nature preserve with “boring” local animals that educates visitors about the beauty of our own region.

Furthermore, if we just assume that European animals are in fact boring for the sake of discussion: some people want to build different kinds of zoos. It doesn’t always have to be the big, spectacular high-class zoo. I alwasy wanted to create a small family driven zoo or maybe a lokal nature preserve with “boring” local animals that educates visitors about the beauty of our own region.

Exactly, I completely agree with this point. I make very specific zoos rather than a random zoo with an unrealistic selection of animals - I respect that for some people that's totally ok for them but every zoo I make has a specific location and style and a specific lineup of species as realistic as possible to that collection.

Like most of you, I'm betting on Australia too. That would be a surefire way to "bounce back" from the last two DLCs. I absolutely love both of them, but the general consensus doesn't seem to align with that...

And that would give them an opportunity to introduce some new animals that people have been clamoring for since the game's inception.

North America feels likely too, but I suspect the furor wouldn't be quite the same.

To be honest, i hope we are not getting another DLC soon. Planet Zoo has a lot of gamebreaking problems which need to be fixed. Some of these problems have been in the game since release. Also i understand the whole Covid Situation is hard, but i cant believe that they are not able to work on the game at all. Its like every other programm or APP out there, we are still here and using the "product" so why is it taking to long for a new patch?

That beeing said, yes i wish for more DLC in the future. Australia sound like it could have really exctiting new animals to add to the game. Maybe also more aquatic animals, i would love to build habitats for penguins, whales or just make a huge aquarium and fill it with fishes. Maybe they could take the idea of the small exhibits and make small like 4x4 aquariums or something like that, then we click it and choose what fishes to drop in.

Dislike

(And steamdb just posted today a third dlc pack that currently doesn't have a title, so I couldn't be happier). Probably going to be released in the next couple weeks.

My guess is either June 30 or July 14 an Australian dlc animal pack with maybe polynesian and/or outback plants and building pieces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom