4 AX gun limit is unnecessary

Thargoid fights are HARD, really hard. After doing a bunch of engineering and grinding for Guardian stuff to make their special guns, i hauled my Krait over to the Pleiades and looked for the right signal sources for a cyclops.

After several failures, I actually finally managed to kill one and survive at exactly one percent hull!!
Incredibly exhilarating and very challenging experience. But now i realize strangely enough... that there in fact are FOUR more powerful thargoid interceptor types.

The thing is, that for the majority of Elite players, even defeating a Cyclops is way out of their league.
You have to make very specific setups, engineering, and Guardian site grinding to have a good chance.

Even then, on top of that, you simply have a quite low cap on the total damage you can do, and Thargoids do take a lot of it.
I feel like this cap is one of the things that do make it very hard to get into these kinds of fights, but this one in particular is pretty unnecessary.

Elite Dangerous is hard to play and coordinate with friends, as a lot of it is done in real time, like travelling, transferring parts and ships etc. so this limit does especially hurt solo players and people in big ships. In addition, the very niche situation of being able to 1-shot a Thargoid with like 30 players is still... very niche, so there's not actually much to restrict here.

Instead of setting a pretty high bar for just killing the weakest type of Interceptor, make it a bit higher, so players actually have access to a few more difficult fights before they have to properly coordinate.

The TL;DR is that the 4 AX weapon limit feels very pointless and outdated now that there are many new types of thargoids and setup choices, and the Cyclops no longer are these massive monsters that demand a huge team effort. It does also hurt the diversity of ships when fighting aliens, as it makes big ships' hardpoint power completely irrelevant.

Thargoid fights are HARD, really hard. After doing a bunch of engineering and grinding for Guardian stuff to make their special guns, i hauled my Krait over to the Pleiades and looked for the right signal sources for a cyclops.

After several failures, I actually finally managed to kill one and survive at exactly one percent hull!!
Incredibly exhilarating and very challenging experience. But now i realize strangely enough... that there in fact are FOUR more powerful thargoid interceptor types.

The thing is, that for the majority of Elite players, even defeating a Cyclops is way out of their league.
You have to make very specific setups, engineering, and Guardian site grinding to have a good chance.

Even then, on top of that, you simply have a quite low cap on the total damage you can do, and Thargoids do take a lot of it.
I feel like this cap is one of the things that do make it very hard to get into these kinds of fights, but this one in particular is pretty unnecessary.

Elite Dangerous is hard to play and coordinate with friends, as a lot of it is done in real time, like travelling, transferring parts and ships etc. so this limit does especially hurt solo players and people in big ships. In addition, the very niche situation of being able to 1-shot a Thargoid with like 30 players is still... very niche, so there's not actually much to restrict here.

Instead of setting a pretty high bar for just killing the weakest type of Interceptor, make it a bit higher, so players actually have access to a few more difficult fights before they have to properly coordinate.

The TL;DR is that the 4 AX weapon limit feels very pointless and outdated now that there are many new types of thargoids and setup choices, and the Cyclops no longer are these massive monsters that demand a huge team effort. It does also hurt the diversity of ships when fighting aliens, as it makes big ships' hardpoint power completely irrelevant.
actually its a limit of 4 experimental modules not just AX weapons. the limitation is placed there by the galactic safety commission to prevent pilots from having unwanted malfunctions of their vessel
(the official reason is frontier made it like that to balance the game so players cant just gank each other with OP expirimental ship builds as frontier also wants players to be able to engineer them in the future.)

actually its a limit of 4 experimental modules not just AX weapons. the limitation is placed there by the galactic safety commission to prevent pilots from having unwanted malfunctions of their vessel
(the official reason is frontier made it like that to balance the game so players cant just gank each other with OP expirimental ship builds as frontier also wants players to be able to engineer them in the future.)
The problem with the in-universe explanation is that the mass-produced AX (not guardian) weapons are less "experimental" than regular engineered modules. I mean, which do you think would be less reliable, a standard mass-produced weapon or a module that has been stripped down, beefed up, and generally cranked up to 11 by a third party?

As for the whole PvP balance and engineers, the standard AX weapons are absolutely useless for PvP and no amount of engineering would ever allow them be on par with regular unengineered weapons. For the other experimental modules that are unlocked through the tech brokers, currently they are roughly on par with G1-G3 engineered modules, and would almost certainly get a little bit OP if they could be properly engineered.

Considering the function and balance of the standard AX and guardian/experimental weapons, I would think the logical thing to do would be to remove the experimental designation from the standard AX weapons. The designs for the standard AX weapons are tried and tested, there really shouldn't be any reason that the Pilot's Federation still considers them "experimental" weapons. If you are concerned about game balance, the AX weapons are absolutely useless in every situation that does not involve fighting thargoids, and even then they are completely outperformed by guardian weapons.

Removing the experimental designation for the AX weapons could hardly be considered "game-breaking" and would make quite a bit of sense in-universe. FDev probably has their reasons, but I have no idea what they might be. Until FDev explains why the under-performing AX weapons are STILL limited to 4 weapons because they are "experimental", I'm going to keep asking that the restriction be lifted for AX weapons.

The problem with the in-universe explanation is that the mass-produced AX (not guardian) weapons are less "experimental" than regular engineered modules. I mean, which do you think would be less reliable, a standard mass-produced weapon or a module that has been stripped down, beefed up, and generally cranked up to 11 by a third party?

As for the whole PvP balance and engineers, the standard AX weapons are absolutely useless for PvP and no amount of engineering would ever allow them be on par with regular unengineered weapons. For the other experimental modules that are unlocked through the tech brokers, currently they are roughly on par with G1-G3 engineered modules, and would almost certainly get a little bit OP if they could be properly engineered.

Considering the function and balance of the standard AX and guardian/experimental weapons, I would think the logical thing to do would be to remove the experimental designation from the standard AX weapons. The designs for the standard AX weapons are tried and tested, there really shouldn't be any reason that the Pilot's Federation still considers them "experimental" weapons. If you are concerned about game balance, the AX weapons are absolutely useless in every situation that does not involve fighting thargoids, and even then they are completely outperformed by guardian weapons.

Removing the experimental designation for the AX weapons could hardly be considered "game-breaking" and would make quite a bit of sense in-universe. FDev probably has their reasons, but I have no idea what they might be. Until FDev explains why the under-performing AX weapons are STILL limited to 4 weapons because they are "experimental", I'm going to keep asking that the restriction be lifted for AX weapons.
I wasnt saying that AX weapons are gamebreaking in terms of PvP im saying its there because when frontier actually allows for engineering of the ENTIRE experimental module ecosystem they dont want it to break the game because things like the guardian modules are already Comparable to certain Grade 5 mods available to players.

Now am I against removing the cap? no im not. especially since they cant be engineered at this point in time. but we also dont know when frontier actually plans to allow us to engineer the entire experimental ecosystem.

I am well aware that AX weapons are pointless in PvP

Guest 161958

G
I believe Frontier is simply following a narrative to make it convincing that these are experimental weapons.

weapon limit will most probably be removed (or maybe engineering will be made possible, which I think is more likely) in the future consistently with the narrative.

I have been goid hunting for a year and I can tell you we are WAY stronger even with the imposed limits. The gauss cannon is borderline overpowered and lets you solo a basilisk and even a medusa.

I would really like to fill all my hardpoints with Guardian or AX weapons. I would also like some other kind of weapon that can kill the swarm, something perhaps point defense related.

Guest 161958

G
Most sorely needed thing is class 1 remote flak launcher. Class 1 guardian weapons are so weak against interceptors.

Top Bottom