4 DLC’s for 2022 - what are your dream bets?

We can probably expect at least 4 more packs next year. That gives us around 22 habitat animals and 4 themes.
What are your bets or dreams for those packs?
Which animals has the biggest importance for you?

I would give my bets to: Birds, Deserts, Tropical and Temperate.

What I think we would get:

Birds

Hyacinth Macaw
Toucan toco
Gray crowned crane
Snowy owl
Indian hornbill
Shoebill
Vulture

would also add one extra spot for a bird in every next pack:

Desert
Porcupine
Emu
Baboon
Dromedary
Bird: Secretary bird

Tropical
Capybara
Maned wolf
Lar Gibbon
Fossa
Red River hog
Tree kangaroo
Coati
Bird: Scarlet ibis

Three years anniversary: Stripped hyena

Temperate
Amur leopard
Tasmanian devil
Przewalski horse
Wombat
Bird: Bald eagle

Honorable mentions:
Wolverine
Asian small clawed otter

What I would like to get:

Birds

Hyacinth Macaw
Toucan toco
Gray crowned crane
Scarlet ibis
Indian hornbill
Shoebill
Malayan Argus pheasant
Secretary bird
Bald eagle
Snowy owl

would also add one extra spot for a bird in every next pack:

Desert
Porcupine
Emu
Baboon
Dromedary
Stripped hyena
Caracal
Honey badger
Bird: Vulture

Tropical
Capybara
Maned wolf
Lar Gibbon
Fossa
Red River hog
Tree kangaroo
Coati
Bird: Turaco

Three years anniversary: Serval and howler monkey

Temperate
Amur leopard
Tasmanian devil
Przewalski horse
Wombat
Platypus
Wolverine
Takin
Bird: Kookaburra

Last edited:
Assuming they continue to alternate animal packs and building packs:

Rainforest/Tropical Pack: given the capybara data mining seems likely, given the pattern it’ll be an animal pack. This is a good opportunity to include tropical animals from around the world that would be difficult to fit into regional packs. To cover a lot of ground I could see the inclusions of the capybara, a tree kangaroo species, an ocelot to fill that small cat niche, a colobus monkey, a duiker, a fossa and something large, maybe a banteng. Some kind of iconic terrarium species like a Gabon viper or a basilisk lizard.

Aviary Pack: Highly requested, a necessity for all zoos, but this pack needs to be a building pack. With all the mechanics and aviary pieces that would need to go into it it’s unlikely it’s an animal pack, unless they break from the formula to make it some kind of combo pack. I’d assume the species chosen are larger or more colourful to stand out. Exhibit animal could be finches or bee eaters, something small. My picks for the pack species would be the Bald Eagle, Scarlett Macaw, Australian Pelican and Marabou Stork. 4 different continents, biomes and niches to give some variety and it allows other packs to include birds now that they’ve been established.

Safari Pack: This would focus on leftover east/south animals. There are already a ton of African animals but i feel like the diversity of Africa would still lend itself to an animal pack. Also gives a nod to the African adventure expansion from zoo tycoon. Off hand I’d pick a vulture species now that birds are in the game, along with a secretary bird, a crested porcupine, a baboon species of some variety, a serval and then I’d say 2 antelope species since they’re so iconic with Africa. Maybe an eland (large) and a dik dik (small). Black mamba as the exhibit animal.

Endangered Species Pack: this would be the fair well pack and another nod to zoo tycoon. While I think it would work better as an animal pack, I think with the pattern it would likely be a building pack. I think this could be an opportunity though to include a lot of museum props and wall items for educational purposes, as the focus could be on conservation. Idk what kind of building set would work best for this. Maybe an African national park style, maybe modelled after a real zoo that focuses on conservation, maybe building pieces that are integrated into nature more. For the species id pick a gibbon species and a wombat, two unique species and endangered species. Some kind of endangered bird species, probably a whopping crane if the goal is to get more bird variety and let the modding community to focus on reskins. Axolotl would make a good exhibit animal and then the larger animal as a face of the pack could be an Amur leopard. Lots of big cats already but Amur leopards are iconic and the African leopard wasn’t included. Saiga could be an option too given it’s iconic appearance and rarity. Przwalski’s horse are also an option. If it was an animal pack id include all 3 and probably another rare bird.

I’d love other inclusions like wolverines, dromedaries, rheas and maned wolves but they didn’t fit that well into these ideas

Even if we have to wait a whole year before birds, I think it's a great way to end the game. So I would say that for our Q4 animal pack or expansion. For the next year in general, I think biomes will be more prevalent, as we've covered all the lacking regions geographically. For Q1, a rainforest animal pack would be nice, with the Capybara from the leak. For Q2, a desert pack would make sense.

Sidenote: If Frontier continues their patterns, rainforest packs come out in the spring, desert/Savannah packs come out in the summer, and temperate/taiga packs come out in fall/winter.

Anyway, a rainforest/tropical pack would make sense for early April-ish. For the summer, a desert/grasslands pack would be nice for the Dromedary, addax, and other desert and grassland animals. For Q3, an Endangered animals pack would be nice.

Now, with these four packs, there is no room for scenery, which wouldn't work. Frontier can't put out four straight animal packs and expect to still have the scenery and building nerds engaged. To deal with this, I've always wanted a Madacascar Pack (4+1) even though I think it's pretty unlikely. What other scenery themes can they really do? They've pretty much covered everything (in general). So yeah, whatever comes our way, I'm always here for!

Well, since continental packs are largely covered, if they move into biome packs, I think I’d go with (in no particular order of importance):
1) Aviary - Everyone’s said their peace about a Birds pack, so I won’t add to that and I don’t have any specific bird choices.
2) Tropical - I would agree that lumping a Rainforest pack in with a Tropical pack makes more sense; I’d go with (if it were a full animal pack) the capybara, maned wolf, siamang, Matschie’s tree kangaroo, black or red howler monkey, gaur, fossa, and any fittingly tropical exhibit animal (though preferably one not from South America; we have enough of those). If it’s only a standard pack, it’s the capybara, maned wolf, siamang, fossa, and exhibit.
3) Desert - For full, going with the addax, collared peccary, hamadryas baboon, Somali wild donkey, scimitar oryx, honey badger, caracal, and exhibit; for standard, addax, hamadryas baboon, Somali wild donkey, caracal, exhibit.
4) Endangered Species - I agree with the logic of the homage to ZT and it being a farewell pack; I’d go with the Amur leopard, Przewalski’s horse, addax (if not in a desert pack), saiga antelope, red-crowned crane (I like the idea of going with a rare bird), black rhino (if it hasn’t appeared by then), golden lion tamarin, and exhibit (you’ll find I’m not overly concerned with what Frontier chooses for exhibit animals); if standard, Amur leopard, Przewalski’s horse, saiga, golden lion tamarin, exhibit.

Dreams:

Forests and Jungles - Capybara, Wolverine, Asian Small Clawed Otter, Amur Leopard, Gibbon, Sloth, Red River Hog (Exhibit - Jackson's Chameleon)
Oceania - Emu, Wombat, Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo, Kiwi, Grey Kangaroo, Tasmanian Devil, Platypus, (Exhibit - Thorny Devil)
Deserts and Grasslands - Maned Wolf, Dromedary, Crested Porcupine, Prezwalski's Horse (Exhibit - King Cobra)
Aviaries - at least 16 and up to 20 birds. I doubt we'll get even half that but it's what I want!

Well, I would hope that we non-buiders will get four animal packs. I mean, the Europe pack seems to introduce some nice pieces, but are they really necessary to build a realistic zoo? It is much more related to theme parks or even some city builders, but definitely not something I would associate with animals. I'm not a big fan of biome packs, as I'm still not the biggest fan of how biomes were implemented into the game. Anyway, let me put together my wishes (mixed with my bets).

Avian pack: this is definitely a must, we need birds and I wouldn't even mind if they wouldn't be able to fly. Pelicans, waterfowl, gamefowl and even some ratites are still really needed.

Asia pack: Asia dwiinitley deserves more attention. SEA pack was one of the best for me (just behind NA), but Asia is so much bigger. Even though it would make sense to be a normal pack with some scenery, I really hope we would get some more animals, as this would need to include animals from Arabia, the Himalayas and even from SEA.
Possible species: Takin, Markhor, Amur leopard, Przewalski's horse, Gibbon, small clawed otter, a pheasant, Hamadryas baboon, porcupine...

"Gondwana" pack: Oceania and South America are still underrepresented, I think this pack could be nice to us some more species from these continents. Of course there would also be the need to include at least one species from India and one from Africa/Madagascar, but I don't think this would be a great issue.
Possible species: Tasmanian devil, Wombat, Tree Kangaroo, Emu, Black swan, Sifaka, Fossa, Secretary bird, Pelican, Capybara, Maned wolf, SA monkey...

Conservativon pack: this would be our last pack, so I would hope we would get species which were reintroduced to nature by zoos or which are considered EN or CR by the IUCN and are commonly found in zoos.
Possible species: Addax, Scimitar-horned oryx, Black rhinoceros, Przewalski's horse, Amur leopard, Père David's deer, Vietnam pheasant, red crowned crane, waldrapp ibis, Golden lion tamarin, Black footed ferret and there are surely many more which I forgot

Well, I would hope that we non-buiders will get four animal packs. I mean, the Europe pack seems to introduce some nice pieces, but are they really necessary to build a realistic zoo? It is much more related to theme parks or even some city builders, but definitely not something I would associate with animals. I'm not a big fan of biome packs, as I'm still not the biggest fan of how biomes were implemented into the game. Anyway, let me put together my wishes (mixed with my bets).

Avian pack: this is definitely a must, we need birds and I wouldn't even mind if they wouldn't be able to fly. Pelicans, waterfowl, gamefowl and even some ratites are still really needed.

Asia pack: Asia dwiinitley deserves more attention. SEA pack was one of the best for me (just behind NA), but Asia is so much bigger. Even though it would make sense to be a normal pack with some scenery, I really hope we would get some more animals, as this would need to include animals from Arabia, the Himalayas and even from SEA.
Possible species: Takin, Markhor, Amur leopard, Przewalski's horse, Gibbon, small clawed otter, a pheasant, Hamadryas baboon, porcupine...

"Gondwana" pack: Oceania and South America are still underrepresented, I think this pack could be nice to us some more species from these continents. Of course there would also be the need to include at least one species from India and one from Africa/Madagascar, but I don't think this would be a great issue.
Possible species: Tasmanian devil, Wombat, Tree Kangaroo, Emu, Black swan, Sifaka, Fossa, Secretary bird, Pelican, Capybara, Maned wolf, SA monkey...

Conservativon pack: this would be our last pack, so I would hope we would get species which were reintroduced to nature by zoos or which are considered EN or CR by the IUCN and are commonly found in zoos.
Possible species: Addax, Scimitar-horned oryx, Black rhinoceros, Przewalski's horse, Amur leopard, Père David's deer, Vietnam pheasant, red crowned crane, waldrapp ibis, Golden lion tamarin, Black footed ferret and there are surely many more which I forgot
I both love and hate that this game divides into people who play it like Zoo Tycoon and people who play it like a city builder

Last edited:
I noticed they alternated between standard packs and animal packs, so I believe it'll be something like this:

"Animals of the Forest" animal pack
  1. Capybara (star) - its code has apparently been found, so I don't see why not?
  2. Raccoon (2nd star) - a loved animal by many here (some of us may remember @KönigDerKaffeebohnen shooting a bunch of mapache {Spanish for raccoon} pics). I'd love this
  3. Red river hog - our 3rd pig. Personally prefer a wild boar, but these are far more likely
  4. Asian small-clawed otter - found in forests, highly requested, common in zoos
  5. Raccoon dog - why not? Adorable and it'll be fun to compare these to actual raccoons
  6. Spectacled bear - ok, I prefer the American black bear, but it's unlikely at this point. So, this will satisfy me
  7. Common wombat - roly poly
  8. Chameleon (E) - any species will satisfy me, but I'm hoping for the panther chameleon
Nocturnal pack
  1. Tasmanian devil (star) - a popular choice, nocturnal, endangered
  2. Virginia opossum - a NA marsupial, nocturnal, looks kinda like a rat
  3. Aye-aye - another primate from Madagascar. "Shame on you, Maurice. Can't you see you insulted the freaks?!"
  4. Honey badger - imagine a skunk combined with a wolverine. You get a powerful creature that can take on lions and has a built-in stink bomb
  5. Leopard gecko (E) - I love these little guys. They are so fun to watch
THEME: Lots of dark, natural pieces, like shadowy vines/leaves, thick plants, etc.

Desert animal pack
  1. Scimitar horned oryx (star) - it'll be stupid not to have this
  2. Dromedary camel (2nd star) - we have so many decorations that it's like the devs are taunting us
  3. Somali wild - a 2nd horse, and a desert dweller
  4. Nine-banded armadillo - these guys are living armor. They don't roll into a ball like the three-banded, but they are fast
  5. Greater roadrunner - beep, beep. Iconic to the desert, right?
  6. Jackrabbit - it'll be our 1st lagomorph, and these are built for the desert
  7. Addax - yes, a 3rd ungulate, but why not? I remember the old ZT2 days of making a mixed habitat with both this and the scimitar oryx
  8. King cobra (E) - we have the cobra engine and no cobra? Irony
Coastal pack
  1. Walrus (star) - the one most of the community wants
  2. Pelican - any species will do
  3. Fur seal - any species will do, and this'll round out the pinnipeds nicely
  4. Hawksbill sea turtle - would be nice to have a semi-aquatic reptile that isn't a croc
  5. Fiddler crab (E) - it'd be our 1st crustacean, and they're cool to look at
THEME: Coastal, with buoys and nets, etc.

Last edited:
Coastal pack
  4. Hawksbill sea turtle - would be nice to have a semi-aquatic reptile that isn't a croc
i would personally have coconut crab instead of fiddler crab. but that's just my opinion

1. Raccoon (2nd star) - a loved animal by many here (some of us may remember @KönigDerKaffeebohnen shooting a bunch of mapache {Spanish for raccoon} pics). I'd love this
1638991595834.png

I noticed they alternated between standard packs and animal packs, so I believe it'll be something like this:

"Animals of the Forest" animal pack
  1. Capybara (star) - its code has apparently been found, so I don't see why not?
  2. Raccoon (2nd star) - a loved animal by many here (some of us may remember @KönigDerKaffeebohnen shooting a bunch of mapache {Spanish for raccoon} pics). I'd love this
  3. Red river hog - our 3rd pig. Personally prefer a wild boar, but these are far more likely
  4. Asian small-clawed otter - found in forests, highly requested, common in zoos
  5. Raccoon dog - why not? Adorable and it'll be fun to compare these to actual raccoons
  6. Spectacled bear - ok, I prefer the American black bear, but it's unlikely at this point. So, this will satisfy me
  7. Common wombat - roly poly
  8. Chameleon (E) - any species will satisfy me, but I'm hoping for the panther chameleon
Nocturnal pack
  1. Tasmanian devil (star) - a popular choice, nocturnal, endangered
  2. Virginia opossum - a NA marsupial, nocturnal, looks kinda like a rat
  3. Aye-aye - another primate from Madagascar. "Shame on you, Maurice. Can't you see you insulted the freaks?!"
  4. Honey badger - imagine a skunk combined with a wolverine. You get a powerful creature that can take on lions and has a built-in stink bomb
  5. Leopard gecko (E) - I love these little guys. They are so fun to watch
THEME: Lots of dark, natural pieces, like shadowy vines/leaves, thick plants, etc.

Desert animal pack
  1. Scimitar horned oryx (star) - it'll be stupid not to have this
  2. Dromedary camel (2nd star) - we have so many decorations that it's like the devs are taunting us
  3. Somali wild - a 2nd horse, and a desert dweller
  4. Nine-banded armadillo - these guys are living armor. They don't roll into a ball like the three-banded, but they are fast
  5. Greater roadrunner - beep, beep. Iconic to the desert, right?
  6. Jackrabbit - it'll be our 1st lagomorph, and these are built for the desert
  7. Addax - yes, a 3rd ungulate, but why not? I remember the old ZT2 days of making a mixed habitat with both this and the scimitar oryx
  8. King cobra (E) - we have the cobra engine and no cobra? Irony
Coastal pack
THEME: Coastal, with buoys and nets, etc.
I would also love the African Wild "Donkey" but I think, due to the name issue, that if we get another equine it will be Prezwalski's Wild Horse or the Onagar, both of which would be awesome in their own right, but getting those zebra-legged wild donkeys would be the icing on the cake.

If there are only four packs left total, my ideal combination to "cover the bases" would be:

1. East Asia
2. Birds (wading/ground birds if a full-on aviary theme is unviable)
3. Deserts/Middle East
4. Rainforest

All animal packs. I'm not against scenery packs per se but I dislike that a lot of the building themes have been...too themed/PlanCo-y and not oriented enough towards the kinds of materials and scenery that an actual zoo would have. The Aquatic Pack is the big exception in this regard.

I both love and hate that this game divides into people who play it like Zoo Tycoon and people who play it like a city builder
ZT2 had some really great builders too. But what I try to build are somewhat realistic habitats, without a lot of theming, but almost every time very lush (so new foliage is always welcome and we are still missing some basic zoo stuff, specially for background areas). But yeah, it's interesting that everyone plays it in a different way.

Everytime I predict something I completely off so I'm not betting on anything lol but here are my dream packs for 2022

For the scenery packs I took out the exhibit animal and replaced it with 2 aviary birds in exchange for an extra bird I think they could give us a few less pieces. Also for my Avian Animal Pack I threw in 10 birds because I think they aren't exactly habitat animals or exhibit so 10 seemed fair

March 2022
Avian Animal Pack
Animals
  • Toco Toucan
  • Lorikeet
  • Snowy Owl
  • Bald Eagle
  • Victoria Crowned Pigeon
  • Blue Winged Teal
  • Rhinoceros Hornbill
  • Scarlett Macaw
  • Secretary Bird
  • Shoebill

June 2022
Brazil Pack
Scenery Theme - Favella/Shantytown
Animals
  • Capybara
  • Maned Wolf
  • Black Howler Monkey
  • Coati
  • Spix Macaw
  • Andean Condor

October 2022
Oceania Animal Pack
Animals
  • Tasmanian Devil
  • Emu
  • Platypus
  • Tree Kangaroo
  • Wombat
  • Red Necked Wallaby
  • Echidna
  • Kookaburra

December 2022
China Pack
Scenery Theme - Hainan Highlands/fishing village
  • Amur Leopard
  • Hainan Black Crested Gibbon
  • Golden Takin
  • Asian Small Clawed Otter
  • Red Crowned Crane
  • Blue Rock Thrush

I hope for one that next year will not be the final year of DLCs. If so, my hopes are that we will get animal DLCs for South America, Africa, Oceania and perhaps even Asia. I also think we can have regular DLCs for Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Next to that, I have hopes that the Christmas DLCs will be Aviaries and Aquariums. With that, I can actually make hopes for the next two years:

South-American Animal DLC:
  • Capybara
  • Spectacled Bear
  • Brown-throated Sloth
  • Nine-banded OR Giant Armadillo
  • Maned Wolf
  • Squirrel Monkey OR Howler Monkey
  • Ocelot OR South-American Coati
  • Helmeted Basilisk

Southeast Asian DLC:
  • Lar Gibbon
  • Gaur
  • Asian Small-clawed Otter
  • Greater Chevrotain
  • Reticulated Python

African Animal DLC:
  • Greater Kudu
  • Honey Badger
  • Crested Porcupine
  • Grey Crowned Crane OR Secretary Bird
  • Helmeted Guineafowl
  • Red River Hog
  • Serval
  • Jackson's Chameleon

Anniversary Bonus: Brown Pelican

Avian DLC:
  • Bald Eagle
  • Andean Condor
  • Griffon Vulture
  • Great Indian Hornbill
  • Blue-and-Yellow Macaw OR another macaw
  • Toco Toucan
  • Eurasian Eagle Owl
  • Greater Bird-of-Paradise
  • Hamerkop
  • Scarlet Ibis
Introducing Small Aviaries (work as exhibits):
  • Cockatiel
    [*]Bali Mynah
    [*]California Quail
    [*]Zebra Finch
    [*]Luzon Bleeding Heart Dove

Oceanian Animal DLC:
  • Emu
  • Tasmanian Devil
  • Great Spotted Kiwi
  • Duck-billed Platypus
  • Common Wombat
  • Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
  • Short-beaked Echidna
  • Tuatara

Middle-Eastern DLC:
  • Hamadryas Baboon
  • Persian Leopard
  • Dromedary Camel
  • Golden Jackal OR Arabian Oryx
  • Arabian Cobra

Asian Animal DLC:
  • Przewalski's Wild Horse
  • Markhor
  • Golden Takin
  • Sloth Bear
  • Golden Snub-nosed Monkey
  • Red-crowned Crane
  • Cantor's Giant Softshell Turtle
  • Japanese Giant Salamander

Anniversary Bonus: Mute Swan

Aquarium DLC:
  • Blacktip Reef Shark
  • Manta Ray
  • Ocean Sunfish
  • Humphead Wrasse
  • Greater Barracuda
  • West-Indian Manatee
  • Green Sea Turtle
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Leopard Shark
  • Spotted Eagle Ray
Introducing Small Aquariums (work as exhibits):
  • Pacific Octopus
    [*]Green Moray Eel
    [*]Red Lionfish
    [*]Spotted Jelly
    [*]Red-bellied Piranha

There is certainly a difference between what I would love to get, and what I think we would get, but no matter what the next DLCs do give us, I hope that support will continue down the road. I think biome pack would be the most reasonable assumption, and I really don't know whether they will continue with the animal pack/scenery pack formats, or introduce a new DLC format (perhaps even with more animals, to satisfy some of the community's cravings?) But as of now, there is no reason to suspect anything like that, so I will not include those thoughts in my prediction.

Tropical/Rainforest Pack
Even though I can see an Aviary Pack being introduced in Spring 2022, I think the more reasonable assumption would be the capybara, if only for the leak and because tropical animals still appear to be in high demand. This pack also would be well-suited for an animal pack, as there are so many picks that would fit into such a pack.
  • Capybara
  • Fossa
  • Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
  • Red River Hog
  • Lar Gibbon
  • Black Howler Monkey
  • Asian Small-Clawed Otter
Desert Pack
  • Dromedary
  • Emu
  • Patagonian Mara
  • Hamadryas Baboon
  • Crested Porcupine
  • Honey Badger
  • Addax
Coastal Pack
  • Pacific Walrus
  • Sea Otter
  • Great White Pelican
  • Green Sea Turtle
  • possibly the Platypus
Aviary Pack
  • Scarlet Macaw
  • Toco Toucan
  • Scarlet Ibis
  • Bald Eagle
  • Andean Condor
  • Snowy Owl
  • Grey-Crowned Crane
  • Mandarin Duck

Honorable mention would be the Temperate Pack, which might include some of the following animals (although at least three of those would also fit for an Endangered Species Pack), or might even be merged with my proposed Coastal Pack and replace it:
  • Amur Leopard
  • Wolverine
  • Przewalski's Horse
  • Common Wombat
  • Golden Takin
  • Tasmanian Devil

Top Bottom