4 years in the cockpit - the magic is gone.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
This is kind of a follow up thread to this one. (Quick TL;DR of that post - It was June 2015, I played Elite for a year then and didn't like the direction the game was heading, then I went to Lavecon, met The Hutton Truckers and was inspired to start my own group, which turned out to be the best thing that happened to me in Elite so far :) )

Warning, wall of text with subjective opinion of the game incoming! Also warning, it is going to be a half-rant.

Now, I was planning to make a thread like that every year - kind of a review slash summary of how I feel about the game. But I've had SO MUCH FUN for the last 2 years with my group that frankly - I totally forgot to write up both "2 and 3 years in the cockpit".

It will be 4 years since I play Elite in July and while it is true I've had a blast for most of that time, I've been having mixed feelings about the game for quite a while now. I tried to answer the question "Why" for some time now and I think the answer is not that simple.

Now, everything I am going to say is just my opinion so please don't take what I am about to type as some sort of fact - these are my subjective feelings.

I am a role player and I play video games to escape reality. I've been through some stuff in my life and I'm going through more currently and games were always the way of escaping that. That's why I like to IMMERSE (yeah I said it!) myself in a game's world. I like to forget that I am just playing a game and feel like I'm really there. That's why I am a fan of realism in games. Elite was an amazing tool for that. The feeling of being there, of living a life of a space ship pilot it 34th century was amazing. First as a lone wolf, then as a leader of a faction called The Winged Hussars. I was totally a Commander, having all those great adventures.

We did a lot of things with the Hussars - trade convoys, SRV jump contest, canyon racing, asteroid field racing, Dangerous Games, we made the 2nd place in the first batch of Colonia colonisation, we did a Community Goal and completed it fully against all odds and a lot of people acting openly against us, we helped to save Dove Enigma, we didn't manage to save Salome (but made it into Drew's book), we used to control the 3rd biggest territory in game (but we recently let go of BGS, as it's just became boring), we did space bowling with Sidewinders as pins and FAOFF Cutters as bowling balls (that was fun).

I went to SagA*, I went to Soul and Heart nebulae, I was searching for bases in Formidine Rift and Hawking Gap, I also did a lot of other things, just blazing my own trail and making my Commander's story as the time went by.

After 4 years the magic is gone however. And part of it is due to the fact that I got simply burn out. I mean, 3000 hours is A LOT of time to spend in one game. And after all that time - 99% of it role played in Open - I have just above 1 billion Cr in assets and about 60 million Cr in cash. I have never used any exploits, gold rush, work-arounds, relogging to refresh mission board, I have never combat logged or exit to menu. I just took it all in, because this game is my PASSION and I absolutely love it. (The same goes for the previous games in the series, as my adventure with Elite started with FE2 on Amiga).

But there is something else apart from burning out. In fact, the burn out was partially caused by this.

I've been feeling that since about half-time of Season 2 the world that I loved to immerse myself so much started to become less and less believable. Things just stopped making sense, one after another. There was more and more holes that I had to fill with my imagination. And while I don't have a problem with that in general - I can't do it forever, especially when there are more holes to fill than substance around those holes.

At this point in time I just don't feel that I'm there. I feel that I'm just playing a game. And it's extremely disappointing - the magnitude is simply because what I said above - this game was always my passion and I love it.

What are the holes then? They are the little details that when put altogether completely kill any sort of credibility and integrity of the game world...

- Black market being an official station contact right next to the authority contact.
- You can have a career in both Federal and Imperial Navy at the same time and achieve a highest possible military rank in opposing military forces.
- Thargoids being completely optional content, lack of any sort of fear or terror when in fact an alien race is burning down human stations. The factions in those systems are happily in economic boom state or squabbling between them in civi wars, the local chat is full of "I still didn't write my vows yet, what can I say?" and "This liner is in 1% blah blah" type of chatter
- Engineers wanting set amount of the same cargo to unlock (I mean how many tonnes of Kamitra Cigars that woman has now stashed...?)
- Most of the in game activities paying peanuts... Here I am risking my life to rescue escape pods from being abducted by alien ships and I get louse 30k Credits for it?
- Fines issued in burning station for pad loitering when I'm collecting dead bodies and black boxes all over the place
- Generic messages from NPC's that get old very quickly
- Telepresence possible for millions of light years, but no can do for a simple module or ship availability check
- Telepresence in general. (What's next, tractor beams?)
- Story arcs started and seemingly abandoned (and if not abandoned, then taking absolute ages to develop and progress)
- Artificial barriers, like inability to have more than 1 crew active at the same time

There are more, but I won't bore you with them no more. Thank god we did not get instant ship transfer.

The biggest disappointment and the things that finally killed it for me was the release of 2.4. It was supposed to be "narrative driven patch". The patch that Frontier could not release any details about, because it was supposed to be a big surprise and winter was supposed to come. The big reveal - THE RETURN. Oh my God the hype was unreal! (The following quotes are from Frontier themselves). "The worst enemy in the history of video games is back", "The nightmares of the past awaken". I was extremely hyped for it. Finally, a narrative driven content! YAY! Food for blazing my own trail! The momentum that will drive my role play! Oh boy oh boy oh boy this will be AMAZING!

I was ecstatic.

And don't get me wrong. The first visit to the Thargoid base, the first hyperdiction, the first meeting with a Goid when it attacked me... Wow, just wow. There was not enough scale on my hype-o-meter at that point.

Then... we got a few Community Goals with some flavour text and 100% optional Thargoid NHSS with no real sense of danger, terror or anything like that. And couple of lore videos that instead of being put INTO the game are put on YouTube. I mean there wasn't even as much as emergency broadcast in game when Oracle was attacked by Thargoids! Galnet only recently started to be filled with related stories, I presume after a lot of the community complained about that, but up till recently it was just pretty much empty with some CG info, which you could get in the CG UI anyway on the mission board and useless BGS reports (listing 20 random systems that are in a civil war state without even giving me the distance from my location, where I can perfectly working filter that can do exactly same thing on the galaxy map... come on!).

Then we have things like Eagle Eye - I'm only aware of it because there was an article in Galnet about it. I was not playing the game at the time and I recently wanted to check it out, but I can't even find the article in game anymore. There isn't any search function in Galnet. We don't have any database that we can check and search for stuff like that.

So where the hell is this glorified "narrative"? Oh right, we have Canonn website. We have Galnet website. We have forums. We have YouTube. We have gazillion of other out-of-game sources. So that's where the narrative is! It's all over the place, but it's missing from one place where it really should be - THE GAME. People say this game is mile wide, but inch deep. When it comes to the story and lore - I disagree with them. The game has an AMAZING lore and story. But it's nowhere to be found in the game.

(As a side note - why release a narrative driven content when you clearly don't have the tools to present said narrative properly in game? Did someone read the features priority list upside down? And now we have a Bonus Weekend which was just slapped on like a magic wand - here, you will get double money for all your trades, now go and play! For the love of all that's holy WHY did you not present this in game as a NARRATIVE, the narrative that this game is supposed to focus on, apparently? This is really beyond me. Pun fully intended.)

Anyway... I was extremely hyped for the Thargoid story line, so the disappointment was equally colossal. I know, it's my own fault for falling for FDEV's hype, but it is them that created the hype in the first place, so as a very passionate player it was only natural for me to fall for it). Retrospectively, I think I just wanted something really great and exciting to happen in the game. And instead I was met with lousy and boring content, scripted events and random NHSS's.

And that was the final straw that killed it for me.

So I've had over 6 months break thinking that it's just burn out and I just need some time off the game. I have logged in a few times for a while during that time to help out with some events for my community, but didn't really play the game properly.

I have recently came back to the game and... somehow I just can't get back into it. I really want to, but I log in and all I see are those big holes that just rip apart any credibility and integrity of the game world. I just can't fill them with my imagination anymore, because there are too many of them.

I have the impression that the developers somehow lost the passion that was running in the game. It's probably just the impression, as I'm sure the passion for this game runs deep in Frontier's offices, but I just don't feel it. And haven't for a while now. I'm talking about Frontier's passion, not mine.

So come one FDEV, where is all the attention to details? Where are all the little things that made me go "WOW!"? I remember how mind blown I was when I closed up to a random outpost in my Cobra and looked at those little windows on the outpost wall and saw silhouettes of plants and furniture inside those living quarters. That has completely blew my mind. That's what I'm talking about. We need that, but not with graphics - with narrative related content instead.

It's all the little things like that make me feel like I'm actually living my virtual life as a space ship pilot. Those little details are there for the visuals. They're there for the audio. But they are severely lacking for the content / merits / realism / general feeling and atmosphere of the game. It's just not there.

The magic... it's gone.

P.S. I have read all what I typed and I'm, not even sure if I managed to put my point across... I am not a native speaker, so perhaps I was not able to express my thoughts and feelings in the best way. If you've read all that and you're now thinking "What the hell his point is?" - I failed miserably with this thread, but at least I feel better now for venting out :p

P.P.S. I am not saying "teh game is ded" by any means. I am also aware that we're about to get new content this year, but somehow I am not hyped for it at all. I am just kinda hanging there to see what's gonna happen. I would love for Elite to be a true passion for me again, but I fear that it won't be possible anymore, until the holes are filled with some content and merit. Until then I'm afraid "it's just a game" for me. I still believe in it though.

::EDIT::

Just to reiterate - this is not about burn out from playing too much. It's part of it, but it's not the main point. The main point is lack of glue that would hold together the world. It's about lack of believable universe. It's not that I don't want to play, because I'm burnt out - I do want to play, because there is a ton of things on my to-do list for this game, but I can't see through all the lacking details that would make me believe this is not just a game.

For the record, some of my major items from ED bucket list:

- Power Play. Didn't try that yet, just didn't really have time to full get into it and my character's role play didn't fit. I do want to try it at some point.
- Engage in Thargoids story. But I can't get myself to do it when I know it's just 100% optional and there is no atmosphere of danger or terror. I need more substance to Goids related content.
- Guardian Weapons. Waiting for FDEV to improve the grind on this. I have never consciously grinded anything in this game and I don't intend to
- Visit Beagle Point - awaiting Q4 exploration update before I do that.
- Unlock the rest of the Engineers - that's 4 or 5 of them. I can't be bothered at this point (this one is actually due to burn out, besides the ones I have unlocked have 99% of the upgrades I need for my ships at this point)
- Finally start a career as a smuggler - something that I always wanted to do since I started playing ED. This was the original plan for my character. Sadly lack of any focus on this part of the game does't make it worth my while. Being a smuggler is just not immersive enough for me.
- Pirate's life! - lack of any interaction with NPC's whatsoever makes me go meh about that. I want to be able to ask them to stop their ship and surrender the cargo. Just ripping their cargo holds open is not interesting enough for me. Again, lack of immersion.
- Circumnavigate a planet in SRV. Can't be bothered, partially to burn our, partially due to the lack of interesting things to come across on planets.

Bear in mids that's just some things I have on my to-do list for Elite. There are more on it :)

::EDIT2::

OK, just to be little more constructive, here's my idea on improving the personal narrative in game: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-the-personal-narrative?p=6727595#post6727595

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point I think I’ve been with Elite: Dangerous for longer than I was with Elite 1,2 or 3 individually.
Has been a decent innings.

I feel with OP. In a way. It is hard to find something exciting after all this time. But let's face it - most of us spent A LOT of hours in Elite and loved it. Feeling burnt out is only natural.

I agree . I am feeling largely the same way. It's NOT that the direction the game is going is inherently bad as such.... But it is not the direction elite was pitched to go and the features which caused me to back to the levels I did are the ones which are low priority (if not on cutting room floor full stop).

As for having a good innings. For me maybe, maybe not. I am pushing 2000 hrs in, a long time for sure but a lot of that was on the faith that the features which were missing or bare bones were going to get fleshed out and that has not happened.

Before launch I was one of the vertical slice believers. I truly thought by launch persistent NPC's would be a thing and wrecks in usses etc, as well as czs and Res were just test beds and would be built into the game properly not just endless streams of mindless pew pew.

That taking on a mission to find a black box I would have to find it,, not just wait for rng to pop it out in front of me..
1.2 wings I fully expected NPC wingsto appear soon after launch as FD worked out links. Same with NPC's in srvs.
In horizons we were teased multiple SRV types, new volcanic worlds to land on and multicrew. Holo me... Did any elite can expect that kind of space magic in ED?.

Had initially known the progress we would have been looking at midway in 2018 back in KSer, my pledge would have been different . I don't even care about spacelegs or atmospheric landing, just the basic stuff expected in the life of 1.0.

I am passed angry however and now just sad. I still play from time to time, follow the forum for new info and I have the LTP.

But imo this is not the ED I was expecting. Maybe X4 will be more my bag IF it has been (what FD got right with ED tho they got so so right!!)

But just look at the DDF archive. That is a great game in there

Last edited:
Great post OP, you've done a lot of stuff.

You are correct too. It's the little things that make the game gudder and those requests seem to get ignored while they focus on the big things which we all ignore.

If only we could attend some kind of Player / Developer relationship councillor sessions maybe we could work this thing out.

+1 for 4yrs.

This is kind of a follow up thread to this one. (Quick TL;DR of that post - It was June 2015, I played Elite for a year then and didn't like the direction the game was heading, then I went to Lavecon, met The Hutton Truckers and was inspired to start my own group, which turned out to be the best thing that happened to me in Elite so far :) )

Warning, wall of text with subjective opinion of the game incoming! Also warning, it is going to be a half-rant.

Now, I was planning to make a thread like that every year - kind of a review slash summary of how I feel about the game. But I've had SO MUCH FUN for the last 2 years with my group that frankly - I totally forgot to write up both "2 and 3 years in the cockpit".

It will be 4 years since I play Elite in July and while it is true I've had a blast for most of that time, I've been having mixed feelings about the game for quite a while now. I tried to answer the question "Why" for some time now and I think the answer is not that simple.

Now, everything I am going to say is just my opinion so please don't take what I am about to type as some sort of fact - these are my subjective feelings.

I am a role player and I play video games to escape reality. I've been through some stuff in my life and I'm going through more currently and games were always the way of escaping that. That's why I like to IMMERSE (yeah I said it!) myself in a game's world. I like to forget that I am just playing a game and feel like I'm really there. That's why I am a fan of realism in games. Elite was an amazing tool for that. The feeling of being there, of living a life of a space ship pilot it 34th century was amazing. First as a lone wolf, then as a leader of a faction called The Winged Hussars. I was totally a Commander, having all those great adventures.

We did a lot of things with the Hussars - trade convoys, SRV jump contest, canyon racing, asteroid field racing, Dangerous Games, we made the 2nd place in the first batch of Colonia colonisation, we did a Community Goal and completed it fully against all odds and a lot of people acting openly against us, we helped to save Dove Enigma, we didn't manage to save Salome (but made it into Drew's book), we used to control the 3rd biggest territory in game (but we recently let go of BGS, as it's just became boring), we did space bowling with Sidewinders as pins and FAOFF Cutters as bowling balls (that was fun).

I went to SagA*, I went to Soul and Heart nebulae, I was searching for bases in Formidine Rift and Hawking Gap, I also did a lot of other things, just blazing my own trail and making my Commander's story as the time went by.

After 4 years the magic is gone however. And part of it is due to the fact that I got simply burn out. I mean, 3000 hours is A LOT of time to spend in one game. And after all that time - 99% of it role played in Open - I have just above 1 billion Cr in assets and about 60 million Cr in cash. I have never used any exploits, gold rush, work-arounds, relogging to refresh mission board, I have never combat logged or exit to menu. I just took it all in, because this game is my PASSION and I absolutely love it. (The same goes for the previous games in the series, as my adventure with Elite started with FE2 on Amiga).

But there is something else apart from burning out. In fact, the burn out was partially caused by this.

I've been feeling that since about half-time of Season 2 the world that I loved to immerse myself so much started to become less and less believable. Things just stopped making sense, one after another. There was more and more holes that I had to fill with my imagination. And while I don't have a problem with that in general - I can't do it forever, especially when there are more holes to fill than substance around those holes.

At this point in time I just don't feel that I'm there. I feel that I'm just playing a game. And it's extremely disappointing - the magnitude is simply because what I said above - this game was always my passion and I love it.

What are the holes then? They are the little details that when put altogether completely kill any sort of credibility and integrity of the game world...

- Black market being an official station contact right next to the authority contact.
- You can have a career in both Federal and Imperial Navy at the same time and achieve a highest possible military rank in opposing military forces.
- Thargoids being completely optional content, lack of any sort of fear or terror when in fact an alien race is burning down human stations. The factions in those systems are happily in economic boom state or squabbling between them in civi wars, the local chat is full of "I still didn't write my vows yet, what can I say?" and "This liner is in 1% blah blah" type of chatter
- Engineers wanting set amount of the same cargo to unlock (I mean how many tonnes of Kamitra Cigars that woman has now stashed...?)
- Most of the in game activities paying peanuts... Here I am risking my life to rescue escape pods from being abducted by alien ships and I get louse 30k Credits for it?
- Fines issued in burning station for pad loitering when I'm collecting dead bodies and black boxes all over the place
- Telepresence possible for millions of light years, but no can do for a simple module or ship availability check
- Story arcs started and seemingly abandoned (and if not abandoned, then taking absolute ages to develop and progress)
- Artificial barriers, like inability to have more than 1 crew active at the same time

There are more, but I won't bore you with them no more. Thank god we did not get instant ship transfer.

The biggest disappointment and the things that finally killed it for me was the release of 2.4. It was supposed to be "narrative driven patch". The patch that Frontier could not release any details about, because it was supposed to be a big surprise and winter was supposed to come. The big reveal - THE RETURN. Oh my God the hype was unreal! (The following quotes are from Frontier themselves). "The worst enemy in the history of video games is back", "The nightmares of the past awaken". I was extremely hyped for it. Finally, a narrative driven content! YAY! Food for blazing my own trail! The momentum that will drive my role play! Oh boy oh boy oh boy this will be AMAZING!

I was ecstatic.

And don't get me wrong. The first visit to the Thargoid base, the first hyperdiction, the first meeting with a Goid when it attacked me... Wow, just wow. There was not enough scale on my hype-o-meter at that point.

Then... we got a few Community Goals with some flavour text and 100% optional Thargoid NHSS with no real sense of danger, terror or anything like that. And couple of lore videos that instead of being put INTO the game are put on YouTube. I mean there wasn't even as much as emergency broadcast in game when Oracle was attacked by Thargoids! Galnet only recently started to be filled with related stories, I presume after a lot of the community complained about that, but up till recently it was just pretty much empty with some CG info, which you could get in the CG UI anyway on the mission board and useless BGS reports (listing 20 random systems that are in a civil war state without even giving me the distance from my location, where I can perfectly working filter that can do exactly same thing on the galaxy map... come on!).

Then we have things like Eagle Eye - I'm only aware of it because there was an article in Galnet about it. I was not playing the game at the time and I recently wanted to check it out, but I can't even find the article in game anymore. There isn't any search function in Galnet. We don't have any database that we can check and search for stuff like that.

So where the hell is this glorified "narrative"? Oh right, we have Canonn website. We have Galnet website. We have forums. We have YouTube. We have gazillion of other out-of-game sources. So that's where the narrative is! It's all over the place, but it's missing from one place where it really should be - THE GAME. People say this game is mile wide, but inch deep. When it comes to the story and lore - I disagree with them. The game has an AMAZING lore and story. But it's nowhere to be found in the game.

(As a side note - why release a narrative driven content when you clearly don't have the tools to present said narrative properly in game? Did someone read the features priority list upside down? And now we have a Bonus Weekend which was just slapped on like a magic wand - here, you will get double money for all your trades, now go and play! For the love of all that's holy WHY did you not present this in game as a NARRATIVE, the narrative that this game is supposed to focus on, apparently? This is really beyond me. Pun fully intended.)

Anyway... I was extremely hyped for the Thargoid story line, so the disappointment was equally colossal. I know, it's my own fault for falling for FDEV's hype, but it is them that created the hype in the first place, so as a very passionate player it was only natural for me to fall for it). Retrospectively, I think I just wanted something really great and exciting to happen in the game. And instead I was met with lousy and boring content, scripted events and random NHSS's.

So I've had over 6 months break thinking that it's just burn out and I just need some time off the game. I have logged in a few times for a while during that time to help out with some events for my community, but didn't really play the game properly.

I have recently came back to the game and... somehow I just can't get back into it. I really want to, but I log in and all I see are those big holes that just rip apart any credibility and integrity of the game world. I just can't fill them with my imagination anymore, because there are too many of them.

I have the impression that the developers somehow lost the passion that was running in the game. It's probably just the impression, as I'm sure the passion for this game runs deep in Frontier's offices, but I just don't feel it. And haven't for a while now. I'm talking about Frontier's passion, not mine.

So come one FDEV, where is all the attention to details? Where are all the little things that made me go "WOW!"? I remember how mind blown I was when I closed up to a random outpost in my Cobra and looked at those little windows on the outpost wall and saw silhouettes of plants and furniture inside those living quarters. That has completely blew my mind. That's what I'm talking about. We need that, but not with graphics - with narrative related content instead.

It's all the little things like that make me feel like I'm actually living my virtual life as a space ship pilot. Those little details are there for the visuals. They're there for the audio. But they are severely lacking for the content / merits / realism / general feeling and atmosphere of the game. It's just not there.

The magic... it's gone.

P.S. I have read all what I typed and I'm, not even sure if I managed to put my point across... I am not a native speaker, so perhaps I was not able to express my thoughts and feelings in the best way. If you've read all that and you're now thinking "What the hell his point is?" - I failed miserably with this thread, but at least I feel better now for venting out :p

P.P.S. I am not saying "teh game is ded" by any means. I am also aware that we're about to get new content this year, but somehow I am not hyped for it at all. I am just kinda hanging there to see what's gonna happen. I would love for Elite to be a true passion for me again, but I fear that it won't be possible anymore, until the holes are filled with some content and merit. Until then I'm afraid "it's just a game" for me. I still believe in it though.

[yesnod]

/5char

I've felt much the same but almost since launch due to 'exploration' being what it is, and ever more so with every release since 2.1.

The Stellar Forge guys have created the greatest canvas ever seen.
The BGS has the potential to generate continuous dynamism.
The fundamentals of the ships themselves and the flight model are great.

And yet the game feels lifeless and disconnected.
All the tools are in place, we just need a master craftsman to put them to use.

But, I'm still here, and so long as the servers stay on, I'll be pootling around at least once a week because those fundamentals are sound.

3000 hours is pretty decent value for money - and ten-pin bowling sideys sounds like a hoot - but I do understand and have much sympathy for your point of view.

I've also not played much ED for six months or so, and haven't even bothered with the Chieftain as there's nothing new for me to do with it (other than drool at the much improved planets) and I'm not expecting to return until 3.4 or some paid-content arrives... or hula-girl bobbleheads...

Last edited:
Time for some dino park management thrill? lol

I share your thoughts and (are I say) a few of your conquers as well. For real world reasons I stopped playing earlier this year and I can’t bring myself back. Not my first break, but undoubtedly the longest so far. I feel the same disappointment and do hope some changes occur within Fdev. All zi can say is that I imagined something different when I backed this game early on, and initially it seemed to be headed on a good path. Then it seemed to take a turn somewhere around Horizons. Who knows, perhaps this is what most people want?

On the plus side I rediscovered a few other games and perhaps will try the competitors as well. I really hope to get back and find more awesome things to do once more.

Rootsrat... I've been at Elite Dangerous for 3 years now, about 1600 hours. A good bit of what you wrote has also been on my mind in those years.

The recent Thargoid content elements, as you mentioned... my first encounters were fantastic stuff, wonderfully executed. But the in-game narrative to support and promote these elements has always been really weak. Even to the point of NPCs really not even mentioning that Thargoids even exist, let alone responding to them in some believable way.

Stuff like the black markets being advertised, rather than some little hideaway that's discovered by players engaging with the game world.

I would also add the lack of any NPC crew.

I have been able to accept the narrative and communication issues, and continue my engagement with the game. Something I long fought against, that Elite was a game that largely had to be played "on forums" to get the most out of it's content, has also rather settled in for me. This is the design choice, and I may as well get with the program, or else just forget it.

There is plenty that could use some improvement during this 3.x release cycle, and I look forward to what's coming. On the whole, it's been a great gameplay escape for me. Still is, for a few hours each week.

Well, what can I say.. 4 years. That's a pretty good run. Not hard to see why you may be burnt out.

I see you like realism and immersion so I suggest DCS World. Based on flying real combat jets with accurate cockpits and flight physics. It's got lashings of realism and it's way hard. It will keep you busy until the next year. Don't touch ED until after the 4th Quarter update. You can then come back to a different ED it as an entrée just for a space fix every so often. :)

Last edited:
That's a goodly amount of time to spend on this kind of game, or any game, and if you enjoyed most of it then win there. It's not a "playthrough" kind of game like Fallout, where you can try a drastically different approach and get different results, or a "let's start a new one" kind of game like a 4X where it's whatever parameters you set per game, or even a "woot high score" kind of game. It's just Pretending to be a Spaceman until you don't feel like it anymore.

Also, the sheer amount of time spent can cause terminal burnout even on awesome games. I don't play Minecraft anymore even though I put stupid stupid amounts of time into it when I did. I just dowanna noe moar, not because it sucks, but because I already did it enough. Some people don't realize terminal burnout is a thing and always blame the game for not being fun enough, when sometimes it's just them.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for all the comments guys :)

I don't think I got my point across very well (all that typing... :D ).

It's not the burn out - that's just part of it. Note I am just coming from over 6 month break.

It's the lack of believable world with details that make it integral. That what currently kills Elite for me. There are A LOT of things on my to-do list for this game and I very much want to do them, but the magic is gone, because all I see are the holes and not much substance between them to hold the universe together :)

And every time more substance is added, there are also more holes added. I wish instead they added some glue to hold it all together.

Last edited:

I was ecstatic.

The magic... it's gone.

Frustrations understood, it's so simple though, this supposed tripple a game, brilliant in its conception, the initial work and concept being created with good skills is drastically and shambolicly underfunded. The whole 10 year plan thing is an insult to players not some grand scheme. It's all about underfunding and a lack of investment in what could be the best game ever.

I don't think I got my point across. It's not the burn out - that's just part of it. Note I am just coming from over 6 month break.

It's the lack of believable world with details that make it integral. That what currently kills Elite for me. There are A LOT of things on my to-do list for this game and I very much want to do them, but I the magic is gone, because all I see are the holes and not much substance between them to hold the universe together :)

I personally want to see NPC comms, POIs having dynamic scenarios like mega ships and some better sense of belonging in system.

I take ED for what it is but yeah there's lot of such small things that needs at least recognition. Atm it is a bit too spotty.

Last edited:

I don't think I got my point across very well (all that typing... :D ).

It's not the burn out - that's just part of it. Note I am just coming from over 6 month break.

It's the lack of believable world with details that make it integral. That what currently kills Elite for me. There are A LOT of things on my to-do list for this game and I very much want to do them, but the magic is gone, because all I see are the holes and not much substance between them to hold the universe together :)

And every time more substance is added, there are also more holes added. I wish instead they added some glue to hold it all together.

Ah, ok.. still suggest you try DCS World :)

I don't think I got my point across. It's not the burn out - that's just part of it. Note I am just coming from over 6 month break.

It's the lack of believable world with details that make it integral. That what currently kills Elite for me. There are A LOT of things on my to-do list for this game, but I the magic is gone, because all I see are the holes and not much substance between them to hold the universe together :)

Time eventually removes any rose-tint on ye olde glasses. The longer you're around something the more you see the holes and the less you can gloss it over with enthusiasm. Unless you looooove it forever or it goes through a major renaissance and becomes newly magical it happens to just about everything.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom