40 Opinion Polls for KIT FOWLER

Just for reference about the cat/classic/multimedia thing, I sold 24 multimedia, relogged, nothing. Sold 1 more (total 25), relogged, got the invite. Never sold any cat or classic media.

Just for reference about the cat/classic/multimedia thing, I sold 24 multimedia, relogged, nothing. Sold 1 more (total 25), relogged, got the invite. Never sold any cat or classic media.
Yeh, any of the 3 work. I handed mine in when I hit 25 total.

I believe Oden works the same way. But Kit is like most people here... Not interested in different opinions ;)

OMG. Ofc. I don't usually like 'repurposing' mission PRs, but this is a special case! G5 maverick here I come!
I didn't even hesitate. I stole those mission PRs like there was no tomorrow. I've even gotten some suit and weapon schematics by accepting retrieval missions and then "failing" them after I loot the item. Odyssey has led me on a journey to a life of crime.

Why are people in such a rush to unlock this stuff, you'll just have to find other data anyway. Me, I'm stockpiling everything important during missions and along the way I find SDP and OP's semi-regularly. There's honestly no reason to have an engineer unlocked unless you're already ready for the upgrades, lol.

I always say this, but seriously, play the game, don't let the game play you.

Why are people in such a rush to unlock this stuff, you'll just have to find other data anyway. Me, I'm stockpiling everything important during missions and along the way I find SDP and OP's semi-regularly. There's honestly no reason to have an engineer unlocked unless you're already ready for the upgrades, lol.
[...]
Until you realize there's a limit of 1000 and we have 114 types of data in Odyssey. So you can have only 8 of them on average. 😆
(edit: Isn't the limit actually 500 for data? So make that 4 of each.)

The "don't set any goals at all, just play the game" argument needs to stop.

I always say this, but seriously, play the game, don't let the game play you.
That's what I chose to do but this is what's called a progression bottleneck. They're OK if they're intended and the reason the bottleneck exists is to "pause" for game play reasons but you have to question that's Fdev's reason for 40 OPs. Flat out, it's not, I can tell you that.

The point of raising these issues is so that the flow of progression makes sense. Where there's an obvious imbalance, it's jarring. In this case:

• There are three branches of Engineers (green = done, red = trying to unlock, grey = out of reach and orange= working on referral):
    • Domino > Kit > Yarden
    • Jude > Terra > Oden
    • Hero > Wellington > Uma
  • After almost three weeks of playing the game I have reached Uma, I'm almost ready to unlock Oden (and the delay to that was absolutely caused by the issue with Terra's 6 heists that was fixed over a week after launch) and I am... still stuck unlocking Kit (Opinion Polls)
  • I have around 20 OPs from your proposed "natural play", with maybe an hour of "focused play"
  • Had Terra's 6+6 unlock been correctly described on day one, I'd definitely have reached Oden by now (probably about a week ago).
  • The obvious outlyer is Kit. And, of course, even when we've done Kit there's the issue of Yarden's 8 smear campaign plans, which is a separate issue
  • In three weeks, from natural play with maybe a couple hours focused "grinding" for things like MIs, I am probably about 75% through upgrading all the stuff I'd like to use.
  • I'll definitely have finished those all to G5 long before I get to 40 OPs and, unless smear campaigns actually start appearing, way before I get to Yarden.
  • Yarden has one blueprint I'd really like to get.
  • At some point soon I'll reach the stage where I'm bottlenecked by Kit and Yarden. And I have a set of weapons that remain uncomplete due to this.
By and large, I have found the process of unlocking Odyssey engineers really fun (more fun than not fun). If "taking time" is something you think is really important, how about this for context:

The last time I unlocked the Horizons engineers to build a fully G5 ship (I did it on three accounts to date) which requires no less than 14 engineers... 14! Not the five you see in green above. 14...

It took me maybe 3-4 days total. Maybe a week to then go and build the ship afterwards. A week.

Odyssey's been out for almost three.

It's not an issue of how long it takes. It's how fun it is. And the balance of progression is important, much more so when it's held up by a simple integer value that someone at Fdev likely just punched in at random without consideration or field testing; it's an integer number that can be changed with minimal development effort. If the Opinion Polls required was 15, I'd be working on Yarden now (if smear campaigns existed) and I'd say that would be just about perfect.

That is how you balance progression paths. You test it in practice and determine the ideal values of the targets so that it's fun. If they wanted it to just "take months derp, fun is secondary" then they should just set all the values to 1000. Which, I'm sure you'll agree, would have been horrendous. Assuming it's important that the targets remain fun to achieve, there's no benefit to setting one of them out of synch to the rest by this large a margin.

Last edited:
I have request If someone collected 40 OP:
Can you try and collect 8 Propaganda and sell it to bartender? This smear campaign can be just outdated text and my poor English says propaganda is closest possible thing.

I will try it but after 22 Ops 😔

I have request If someone collected 40 OP:
Can you try and collect 8 Propaganda and sell it to bartender? This smear campaign can be just outdated text and my poor English says propaganda is closest possible thing.

I will try it but after 22 Ops 😔
I'm pretty sure all the "might be smear campaigns" options have been tried.

Inara lists this as an actual data type, so I doubt it's that.

and done ........

Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2021.06.16 - 21.54.25.421.png

Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2021.06.16 - 21.57.14.621.png

now to get on those missions for the last engineer (atm)

We did it reddit!

Congratulations to all the experienced pollsters who contributed to the resetting of that requirement to a much more reasonable value. All future players will appreciate it without even realising the bullet they dodged!

Pats himself on the back
Now we need to petition for 15 -> 5 Settlement Defence Plans to save future CMDRs from the horror of Irregular Marker relog sessions :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom