Paint Packs and Ship Kits - How loved are your ships?

How loved are your favorite ships in the store at present?

The graph shows the number of paint packs and ship kits (where appropriate) that are presently available for each ship, starting with the most loved ships at the top, proceeding to the least loved ships at the bottom. No surprise it's the Cobra Mk III that's most loved by the store ! The Crusader with only 3 packs has surprised me.

2my59gh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently flying a Krait II, with a freebie charity livestream paint pack not available in the store. But I have the Pharaoh suite for it also. The Krait II and Krait Phantom are quite well catered for with paint packs/ kits at present, although some of the other ships are woefully behind (Imperial ships, for example).

Interesting graphic.

If we had the number of sales of Paint Packs and Ship Kits for each ship, the results might be surprising.

It would be interesting to see the same graph but without the country flag paint jobs as there quite a few.

I'd be interested to see the sales figures too. My bet would be the most popular ships in the game would be FDL, Anaconda and AspX, in that order?

For my part I have paint jobs for my Anaconda, Corvette, AspX, Cobra 3, FDL and FGS, all are yellow with green lasers. I also have Leo Covas because I always loved Red Dwarf.

Now I think of it I've spent too much money and time on this game. Oh well, no point turning back now, oh and I have a second account called Cmdr Secondary

DBX? Four? DBX? Four?

The DBX is by far my most commonly flown ship and it's probably my 2nd-favorite ship in the game so I recently resolved to buy the ship-kit for it in order to personalise mine.

Alas, having looked at it, I just couldn't justify spending £7 on what is, basically, half a dozen small flat polygons and a couple of sticky-outy bits.
For a while, when producing the ship-kits for the DBX, the Type 6 and the Keelback, FDev were seriously just phoning it in and/or simply trying to complete a "to do" list with minimal effort.
If they had any conscience, they'd erase those ship-kits, give customers refunds (assuming anybody actually bought them) and then do them again... properly.

They also provide a cautionary tale for people who are asking for a ship-kit for their favourite ship.
If your favourite ship doesn't have a ship-kit available and FDev rush to create one, you might end up with something that's garbage and then, once it's done, that's what you're stuck with.

Deleted member 182079

D
Best shipkit imo is the Vulture as it significantly changes the ship's appearance, and in a good way.

I bought quite a few kits, and came to a similar conclusion that they're overpriced for what they are.

Rather pick up a few paint packs for the same price instead now.

Best shipkit imo is the Vulture as it significantly changes the ship's appearance, and in a good way.

I bought quite a few kits, and came to a similar conclusion that they're overpriced for what they are.

Rather pick up a few paint packs for the same price instead now.

I'm looking at a similar purchase idea for any next purchases myself. Lots of decent paint available now (tho yes, could be better - Qohen, have you got your FD subcontractor position yet?)

I liked the Vulture kit, and the AspX kit (it let me turn the ship into Thunderbird 2). I liked SOME of the C3 kit, but some of it is just ugly as eff like the big round jet engine nose "things", and I was mildly annoyed that my fave bumper covers the headlights. Overall I was disappointed in the number of useful pieces per kit; that count could be waaay higher.

Other ship kits don't appeal to me at all, like the Raider stuff. The only thing I like in all the Raider kit on any ship is the rollcage on the AspX canopy. The 15m spikes just look really outscale to me.

Last edited:
You forgot the type-7 op. What does that imply?

Veteran players try it again, it’s great.

Dunno about 'great'... :p

I'm flying mine this weekend. 'Saxon' has custom paint but no engineering, with a decent amount of armour and shielding for pre engineering days. Hauling plenty of cargo with 'big ship' handling and space truck looks is a blast. I'm doing it for mats, but I'm coining in the credits and Federation rep at the same time. Happy days. :cool:

It's a good merchant ship, but that's about the limit of it's capabilities. Without any medium hardpoints mining is out, which is a shame, as the big girl would be ideal otherwise. She can't fight with those small hardpoints without some serious engineering. Exploring might be possible, but there are much better options out there. It's a one trick pony. Needing a large pad even rules out a lot of haulage missions.

If FD could give the ship another balance pass, or bring out a 'Type 8' with medium hardpoints and the ability to land on medium pads? Well that'd be (potentially) 'great'. But right now it's very niche.

T-7 is so unloved that it didn't make it into the chart ( ._.)

EDIT: Well, now it is, but let's state on the record that it was forgotten in the first one.

Last edited:
T-7 is so unloved that it didn't make it into the chart ( ._.)

I modified the graph, and added the T-7. Alas, it is at the bottom !

DBX sharing bottom position with only 3 paint packs is really surprising: it must be a popular ship, surely ?

Last edited:
I modified the graph, and added the T-7. Alas, it is at the bottom !

DBX sharing bottom position with only 3 paint packs is really surprising: it must be a popular ship, surely ?

not sure if means necessarily how popular a ship is. Both the Cobra and the Viper have an exceptional number because of the national flags ones, one for each included country. If they did the same and added all the African or Latinoamerican countries on the Crusader, it would become the ship with the most painjobs in the game.

Dunno about 'great'... :p

I'm flying mine this weekend. 'Saxon' has custom paint but no engineering, with a decent amount of armour and shielding for pre engineering days. Hauling plenty of cargo with 'big ship' handling and space truck looks is a blast. I'm doing it for mats, but I'm coining in the credits and Federation rep at the same time. Happy days. :cool:

It's a good merchant ship, but that's about the limit of it's capabilities. Without any medium hardpoints mining is out, which is a shame, as the big girl would be ideal otherwise. She can't fight with those small hardpoints without some serious engineering. Exploring might be possible, but there are much better options out there. It's a one trick pony. Needing a large pad even rules out a lot of haulage missions.

If FD could give the ship another balance pass, or bring out a 'Type 8' with medium hardpoints and the ability to land on medium pads? Well that'd be (potentially) 'great'. But right now it's very niche.

I was thinking explorer and bubble taxi you didn’t know you had.. it gets 50 with guardian and has a... really good canopy. Lots of clearance while still making you feel like you’re in a ship. Yeah hard points, lack of fighter and large size limit it’s utility though.

The only reason I use a python these days is as an alternative taxi so it goes right along side there :)

Top Bottom