This game is freaking amazing!

On PC.

Yesterday I took my SRV and drove around a simple planetary outpost. I turned off the HUD, used "cruise control" to set my speed to approximately 40 mph, and then I just calmly drove around using headlook to take in all the sights. The detail, the sense of scale, the hubbub of ships docking and leaving, the beautiful mountains in the distance - it was all very stunning to this ex-PS4 player. There's something about ultra graphics at a rock-solid 60 fps that adds a whole new sense of scale and "being there" to the game, and this on a 2D monitor! I never realized just how HUGE those "skyscrapers" are!

And the shadows - my oh my how nice it is to have good shadows again! It adds a whole new layer of realism to the visual experience!

Anyway, I'm just really impressed with how good Elite looks on PC compared to PS4. As someone who likes to "look at things", it's rejuvenated my passion for the game.

Yes...

It is!

Now try it in VR and be prepared for more visual awesomeness :)

Running in ultra wide resolution (even with multiple monitors) is also pretty awesome ;-)

o7

Last edited:
Never played the PS4 version to compare, but yes it is a pretty game and the lighting with a few exceptions, is excellent.

aoyUeaJ.png

how good Elite looks on PC compared to PS4.
  • instances load slower and just appear in front of you instead of approaching (after hyper space jumps or drop from sc near station)
  • 5 fps in hazres
  • and no options to lower visual settings
After that I switched to old laptop with geforce 820(or 840), tuned graphics and got 60 fps. At least I was able to fly comfortably.

So does that mean the EBL crusade is over?
I should probably change my signature! Shadows do look a bit rubbish in my beloved Dolphin, even in ultra settings, but it's not enough of an issue to start a new meme over. If I'm going to crusade for anything, it'll be for native DS4 controller support in ED.

Can I explode you now?
You can! Just be warned that you'll get a heck of a bounty, as I'm still a Harmless pilot flying a relatively cheap Dolphin.

I’ve never had a console, are they really that bad? I’ve had so many console players tell me they’re way better than my PC. The only thing I think I know is that they are, or were, restricted to 30fps - enough for me to ignore the console players who suggested PC graphics lagged behind consoles.

Either way, welcome to PC ED and enjoy the beauty. I love it when something makes me stop what I’m doing and just look around.

Does sound change much with a sound card? Or do consoles have decent sound card in them?

On PC.

Yesterday I took my SRV and drove around a simple planetary outpost. I turned off the HUD, used "cruise control" to set my speed to approximately 40 mph, and then I just calmly drove around using headlook to take in all the sights. The detail, the sense of scale, the hubbub of ships docking and leaving, the beautiful mountains in the distance - it was all very stunning to this ex-PS4 player. There's something about ultra graphics at a rock-solid 60 fps that adds a whole new sense of scale and "being there" to the game, and this on a 2D monitor! I never realized just how HUGE those "skyscrapers" are!

And the shadows - my oh my how nice it is to have good shadows again! It adds a whole new layer of realism to the visual experience!

Anyway, I'm just really impressed with how good Elite looks on PC compared to PS4. As someone who likes to "look at things", it's rejuvenated my passion for the game.
And OH DEAR LORD when you try it with VR.

BUT .... first step, get a cheap edtracker and pop it on your hat/headphones. £42 for the wired version I believe, so USD 50 or so? Or whatever it is Bognogus uses, hat track?

Are you happy to share what make of laptop you bought and the spec? You may have inspired me to invest in a gaming laptop too. And I am on PS4 Pro so haven’t had the issues you did on you PS4 Slim.

I’ve never had a console, are they really that bad? I’ve had so many console players tell me they’re way better than my PC. The only thing I think I know is that they are, or were, restricted to 30fps - enough for me to ignore the console players who suggested PC graphics lagged behind consoles.

Either way, welcome to PC ED and enjoy the beauty. I love it when something makes me stop what I’m doing and just look around.

Does sound change much with a sound card? Or do consoles have decent sound card in them?
I guess Elite doesn't use the full potential of the PS4 because it's ported and wasn't developed for consoles as the main platform. However, even if a game is perfectly optimised for consoles it will probably still look better on PC.

No, not at all. It's Old Duck who bought a lemon 🤭

flee

I’ve never had a console, are they really that bad?
ED on PS4 is really that bad... Other console games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man, and Tomb Raider are pretty amazing considering the low cost of a PS4 Slim. I tried the latest Tomb Raider demo on PC, and no doubt it looks better than it does on PS4, but not that much better. ED is just pretty much rubbish on PS4 these days.

That said, I thought 30 fps was "fine" until I started playing everything at 60+ fps on this new laptop. The extra framerate really does add a whole new level of realism. To your question, games can run at 60 fps on console, but they are the cartoon-like games (Overwatch, Fortnite, etc). Speaking of, Paladins looks pretty much the same on PC as it does PS4, being a cartoon game using (I think) an older UE. Still, the portability of a gaming laptop works well for my lifestyle, so I have no regrets over my recent "defection" to PC land.

Top Bottom