Turn off the "Prompts"

I've been playing Elite since 2016. The new update which enables load of "prompts" to do things, such as disengage supercruise, should be either an option you can turn on/off or tied to a CMDRs combat rank. I know I have to press J to disengage, I've been doing it every day for four years. This is obviously aimed at new players, but what about the veterans?

Sadly, this is an issue that will drive all veterans of the game CRAZY!!!!!!! Please make it optional. After all the effort made for the graphic feast that the game resides in this reduces the gameplay immersion so much. I would describe the effect as simmilar to the enfoced advertising on youtube.

They need new players to have a good experience so they will ask mom for her credit card. If they had to actually remember button assignments it might get in the way of them buying something.

+1 for toggle! While I can see this being very useful to new players, one quickly learns. In addition, prompting isn't that helpful when using a joystick/hotas type controller and bindings can show up as "Joy13" or similar. The flight assistance menu would be a great place to hide a toggle setting for it.

Not that it will make a blind bit of difference, but +1 to toggle the ridiculous prompts and key binding displays on screen. Utterly pointless with a HOTAS, very distracting, and really emphasises the “game” element. I’m expecting “Ready Player One” to appear on screen when I start it up next.

Greatly disappointing.

Agreed for a Toggle.

If this must absolutely remain a feature, without an Off Toggle, then categories of prompts: Rookie & Veteran. Veteran prompts would be more immersive, integrated within the ship HUD as wordless icons with absolutely no context for Rookies until they're ready adjust to a prompt scheme that ignores the labeling of control bindings.

Last edited:
I've been playing Elite since 2016. The new update which enables load of "prompts" to do things, such as disengage supercruise, should be either an option you can turn on/off or tied to a CMDRs combat rank. I know I have to press J to disengage, I've been doing it every day for four years. This is obviously aimed at new players, but what about the veterans?

Yes please

I am almost always in favour of MOAR TOGGLES.

To be honest, I like the fact that this game has so many toggles already. Some games don't. Customisability is a good thing, and also possibly not a word.

But we still need MOAR TOGGLES.

Top Bottom