4 Years of Colonia - and a new Guide to Colonia

On 3 June 3302, Jaques famously entered hyperspace aboard his station on a journey to Beagle Point. Due to Thargoid corrosion damage, he never made it, and his station instead formed the centre of humanity's largest and most successful new settlement - a collection of 70 independent systems on the edge of the galactic core.

Most of these systems were settled in the first year as the region grew from a single damaged starport to a largely self-sufficient community. The second year saw many refugees arrive from the Thargoid skirmishes, and the enhancement of regional security against both criminals and external threats. In the third year, the region consolidated its position, developing centres for scientific research especially in the areas of advanced hydroponics and advanced ship modifications. Colonia's engineers quickly became some of the best in the galaxy.

The fourth year of Colonia has been marked by political disputes over operational and security control of several systems, between different visions and ideologies of how Colonia should be run, with two new ideologies - the traditionalists and the anarchists - showing up to shake up the previously stable status quo. These disputes appear likely to continue into the fifth year.

Additionally, thanks to the efforts of many pilots, especially the tireless CMDR Yianniv, Colonia's engineers reached another major milestone, just a week before the anniversary celebrations. They are now able to offer at least grade 4 engineering of all modules, with grade 5 available for over half, including 5 exclusives not found anywhere else.

Throughout this time the Colonia Census has monitored and recorded events in the region, carrying out an economic research programme, and seeing the systems all develop their own unique histories and importance to the region. To celebrate the fourth anniversary we are releasing the first public edition of our Guide to Colonia, a system-by-system look at the region's history, society and culture.

You can download this as a PDF from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXPVsYBYjhMLPp4zu9RJfKKoxZFgP9Iz/view?usp=sharing, and we will keep it regularly updated as further major events occur in the region [1].

Alternatively, excerpts from the Guide to Colonia, as well as the very latest political, social and economic information on the region, are regularly broadcast on the Radio Colonia service at https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/radio - just the thing if you're missing Galnet on your trip up the neutron highway, or waiting in the hangar for a carrier jump.

[1] And also when we can get decent photos of some of the systems, indicated by '*' in the index. When they said "winter is coming" no-one figured out the real meaning was "some Colonia bases will be in permanent darkness for a couple of years, hope you stocked up on searchlights".

Nice. I'll be having a look at that later as I recently moved to Colonia.

Yet to decide on what my home system will be or which factions I'll be supporting though. My ships are currently at Robardin Rock in Carcosa but I haven't done a single mission for anyone yet.

On 3 June 3302, Jaques famously entered hyperspace aboard his station on a journey to Beagle Point. Due to Thargoid corrosion damage, he never made it, and his station instead formed the centre of humanity's largest and most successful new settlement - a collection of 70 independent systems on the edge of the galactic core.
You're welcome ;)

(Unbeknownst to me, several other Commanders also helped with this bit)

Last edited:
Excellent write up :D

My only claim to fame in elite - naming the Colonia nebula, and it became the regional name too :giggle:

(insider knowledge, Colonia was just a placeholder name, but one that stuck and frontier adopted).

^And here's the full story of how Colonia got its name.

"I checked on the edsm map at the time and no one had submitted that nebula to it, so I went there with meta alloys like everyone, took my screenshot, and submitted it to the galactic map project. I wanted to call it the Teal nebula but the galactic mapping folks (Erimus and Corbin) said that name was already taken and they suggested some names for me to choose from. Colonia Nebula and The Repositus Nebula were ones mentioned. They said they would use my suggested name as a place-hold until Cmdr Cly named it. I guess he never did. The rest is history."

Colonia is a fabulous place, I've been mostly based there for quite a while now. The only slight thing lacking is a small shortage of PvP fun and games. You do seem to have to go look for it.

My thought would be we encourage those who enjoy or fancy PvP come towards one system. I would recommend Carcosa would be really good for that. With the only shipyard stocking Federal ships and Robardin Rock being helpfully close to the main star its an ideal spot.

I noticed that the guide doesn't mention kill warrent scanners. I've never been to Colonia, but I've heard that KWS being carried onboard will result in you being targeted by other commanders. I was just wondering what the reason for this was.

I noticed that the guide doesn't mention kill warrent scanners. I've never been to Colonia, but I've heard that KWS being carried onboard will result in you being targeted by other commanders. I was just wondering what the reason for this was.

I really wouldn't take that with any seriousness, having been around Shinrarta recently and found it to be gank central I can absolutely guarantee Colonia is nothing like that at all. I don't have numbers but I would estimate the majority of Cmdr's here are exploration focused. It really is a great launchpad for any explorers.

As for being ganked, nope it simply isn't something that happens with any frequency. If it helps I will equip one and fly around a bit tonight and report back.

Colonia is a beautiful region, I fell in love with it the first time I visited. Everything is so close together, the vistas are magnificent, and it's easy to find unexplored systems at close range. The commanders I've met are very helpful and dedicated not only to the region, but to Elite as a whole. It's a great place to live in and it's worth every effort to make it even better.
I've made Carcosa my home system and share Robardin Rock with these honorable Anarchists, The Nameless, who brought many new ship and module types to the region.

PS. I'll be a bit late for the celebrations, I'm back in HIP 36601 for supplies. PAs needed just 20% more to reach G5 when I left.

First of all 🥳 to 4 years Colonia. As a more recent transplant I have to say I'm having a blast and thank you to everybody who made/makes it happen in and out of game.

Only in the 2 Anarchy systems will you be asked to leave it at the door. If you caught a 2nd time we might shoot you and then tie you to the reactor shaft for a while to reflect your choices.
The reason is that the only use for a KWS in an Anarchy system is to bounty hunt and that hurts our factions inf in the system, ohh and it's fun role-play too 😆.

As for being ganked, nope it simply isn't something that happens with any frequency. If it helps I will equip one and fly around a bit tonight and report back.

Starts polishing the PAs 😎

Fantastic writeup Ian!

I'm happy to be a Colonial resident for about two years, and it's a wonderful place.
Kudos to all the player written narrative, action and fun.
Friendly reminder (missing in the writeup sadly): don't bring a kill warrant scanner to Carcosa :LOL:
Derp, triple ninjad :eek:

Top Bottom