The Definitive Stealth Guide!

I finally got my first "Live Odyssey" video guide completed and it's now available to view on Youtube, complete with a brand new intro/outro and improved audio recording. Most of the transcript is available in the description of the video but I'll add the key points here. I'll be adding to this series with a definitive infiltration guide to follow shortly and then deeper-dive guides into various settlement types and missions and even stealth-based combat and additional advance combat guides at a later date. And anything else I think might be useful (requests can be considered).

I hope you like it and find it useful! Here's the video:

Source: https://youtu.be/TmdS6Hwg-1o

This is the content, roughly transcribed with some parts not included:

One of the key skills in Odyssey, and one aspect I absolutely love about the expansion, is its stealth mechanics. This guide explains it all!

This is what you’ll learn:
  1. You’ll learn why stealth is important in Odyssey and why you need to use it (this is in the video only)
  2. You’ll get an understanding of the concepts and rules around how stealth and detection works
  3. You’ll also learn what you can do to avoid detection by NPCs.

The stealth mechanic follows this basic process:
  1. Detection (and how you should avoid it)
  2. Reaction (what happens when you're detected)
  3. Escalation or Resolution (what can happen beyond the reaction)
  4. Resetting (how you can evade aggressive NPCs to reset them and try again)
  • Always remember: If an NPC cannot see you, they will not react to you. If an NPC cannot see you, they may still be able to hear you. And how far away from an NPC you are matters.
  • Aggressive NPCs (for example scavengers) will react to you at the maximum visual range if they have line of sight to you. The range of this is around three circles on the radar in good light and close to two circles if dark and they’re using a flashlight, much less if not.
  • When you are not visibly breaking a law, non-aggressive NPCs will react to you at the minimum visual range (which can be gauged roughly by the red circle on the radar).
  • When you get within the red circle, guards will attempt to scan you for bounties or stolen/forbidden goods. When you get within the red circle from workers, they will greet you.
These are the things you are not allowed to do in any settlement:
  1. Attack someone
  2. Carry any weapon (unholstered)
  3. Steal any item
  4. Trespass into restricted areas
  5. Scan someone who has a bounty or use any of the illegal modes on your tools
  6. Use your cutter or activate any panels that will set off an alarm

• If you wish to remain undetected, it's important that you do none of those actions in visible range of any NPC at a settlement.
  • If an NPC is aggressive towards you then they will continue to hunt you down until either of you die or you continuously remain out of their visual range for around 30 seconds or so. If you can remain hidden for long enough then they will cancel their search for you and return to their usual patrol route.
  • It's not allowed to carry any weapon so you need to holster these when they're not in use. When a non-aggressive NPC sees this then they will warn you and tell you to put it away. So long as you do this quickly enough, they will leave you alone. If you do not do this or if they spot you doing it again, they will immediately turn aggressive.
  • When a guard scans you, you must remain close to the guard to allow them to complete their scan otherwise they'll automatically attack you. Watch for the message on your HUD and listen out for the audible cues. If you have a bounty or if you are carrying a traceable stolen item, or if you're carrying a mission item intended to sabotage operations in anyway, they will turn aggressive and attack you.
  • If a worker spots you trespassing, they will warn you and if you exit the restricted area, they'll let you off with that warning. If you do not comply or if they see you committing any other visible crime then they'll turn aggressive immediately.
  • When a settlement NPC turns aggressive, they will shortly begin to radio for assistance. If they do this and you don’t stop them in time, and the settlement alarms are enabled, the alarms will sound and the settlement will attack you.
How do you avoid detection?
The basic approach you should always take is:
  1. Don't get seen (use the environment to hide behind and use the rooftops)
  2. Be as quiet as you can. Crouch or walk and try to avoid making too many sounds close to NPCS if you're doing something wrong!
  3. If you're carrying something you shouldn't, avoid guards at all costs.
  4. Stay behind any NPC if you wish to remain undetected. Stay crouched!
  5. Remember to disable alarms!
I'll be adding more related video links to this topic and keeping it updated as things progress!

The second video in this series is now published and is called The Definitive Guide to Infiltration:

Source: https://youtu.be/dCADkGY9CR0

I've added it here as it follows on nicely to the Stealth guide. I won't add the full transcript here, it's a longer video (there's a ton of content to fit in for this topic and I tried to keep it as concise as I could). This is what is covered in the video:

Chapters:
0:00 Introduction
1:17 Gaining an understanding of the settlement layout
2:35 Gaining access
4:51 How to effectively clone IDs
6:00 How you disable the settlement alarms (and why this is useful)
7:26 Optional: Disable the settlement’s Authorisation Scanners (and what this does)
7:59 How to complete your objective
8:09 General Scavenging
8:28 Assassinations
9:14 Remove the Power Regulator
10:13 Heist/Sabotage mission objectives
11:02 What to do when things go wrong
13:08 Outro

This is the final video I'll add here (if you want to see more, please do subscribe if you like and then you'll know when I release more). This is the third video in my Odyssey guides series. Mastering Heists:

Source: https://youtu.be/j9lvX0SjQDg

This guide will enable you to quickly master Heist and theft missions in Elite Dangerous Odyssey! If you want to unlock the engineer Terra Velasquez, you’ll need to complete six Covert Heists and six Covert thefts. This video will help you do this like a boss!

Chapters:
0:00 Introduction
0:30 A message for you!
1:12 Welcome to the channel!
1:37 Odyssey’s Heist Missions (What are they?)
1:51 Why do Heists? (Unlock Terra)
2:10 Three types of Heist/Theft missions
2:29 What you’ll learn
2:41 Part 1: Take a Covert Heist Mission
3:00 Part 2: Disembark at the settlement
3:26 Part 3: The Main Steps of a Covert Heist Mission
3:44 Part 4: Where to Clone a Profile?
4:34 Part 5: What level of access do you need?
4:53 Part 6: Find the alarms panel to disable the alarms
6:57 Part 7: Find the item to steal
8:31 Part 8: Taking an item in a restricted area
9:46 Conclusion

I hope all of this is useful for you!

Last edited:
May I ask one maybe a bit offtopic question? About that settlements, though. I've seen your reputation with some settlements are "good" not "neutral." How do I change my rep. with them? e.g. I am allied with Sirius Special Forces, but at their bases I am neutral. So it's kind of other reputation? Thank you.

May I ask one maybe a bit offtopic question? About that settlements, though. I've seen your reputation with some settlements are "good" not "neutral." How do I change my rep. with them? e.g. I am allied with Sirius Special Forces, but at their bases I am neutral. So it's kind of other reputation? Thank you.

It's just the same as getting reputation with any faction, via missions, trade, bounties and so on. You can do trade, get missions and hand in bounties at the settlements but this isn't necessary. There's no major benefit really. Except doing missions for mats.
Have you done much work with silenced weapons and their effectiveness?
No, mainly because I don't think anyone has unlocked those engineers yet (likely they're behind the current bug-wall of 6 heists (I only heard they're bugged for this unlock but not tried myself), 40 opinion polls (I'm like 7 deep right now... slowest unlock ever) and the 20 media stuff.

I'm extremely excited to try them. As soon as I get my hands on them I'm doing a video dedicated to it :D

In the meanwhile, it's still possible to use the executioner to stealth kill 14 scavs and barely require shields. I'll do a video on it at some point (got the footage, just want to focus on infiltration next).
There are silenced weapons? :-o I know only about "overcharge" thing, it's kinda quiet, but you mean like "silenced guns?"
Yes, you can apply a mod to your weapon to silence it in atmospheric conditions (I'm assuming indoors) and non-atmospheric (by masking the simulated audio our suits play to us where there's no sound).

I can't wait to use them.

Silenced weapons in tenuous atmospheres?

:unsure:
Heh, so no one knows yet but the whole idea is that we still need our suits to simulate sound even in tenuous atmospheres, surely, because it'd be too faint otherwise.

But we'll see. Maybe there will be a distinction between airless and anything else. Maybe there will be a crossover in tenuous, meaning you'll need both for outdoor areas there. Either way, I'm getting both.

Heh, so no one knows yet but the whole idea is that we still need our suits to simulate sound even in tenuous atmospheres, surely, because it'd be too faint otherwise.

But we'll see. Maybe there will be a distinction between airless and anything else. Maybe there will be a crossover in tenuous, meaning you'll need both for outdoor areas there. Either way, I'm getting both.
Seems a bit odd in a game with lasers.

I could see the point in having silencers on slug throwers for interior work though. Thinking about it, something like a laser that doesn't emit anything in visible wavelengths would be a fun stealth weapon (though probably wildly OP from a gamey perspective).

Seems a bit odd in a game with lasers.

I could see the point in having silencers on slug throwers for interior work though. Thinking about it, something like a laser that doesn't emit anything in visible wavelengths would be a fun stealth weapon (though probably wildly OP from a gamey perspective).
Yeh no idea how it'd work with the bright pink plasma gun :D I assume if they still see it, then it won't be stealthy. But to be honest, I think that works fine now (they still hear it but I've often evaded detection despite that)

I actually have the silenced weapons in unpressurized areas mod pre installed on one gun, and the silenced pressurized areas mod on another.

However I have not had a chance to use it on a stealth mission yet. In combat zones they don’t seem to make any difference.

I think uploading any harmful things sets off some type of an alarm? I was doing this and the red light starting blinking near the data port.

Yeh no idea how it'd work with the bright pink plasma gun :D I assume if they still see it, then it won't be stealthy. But to be honest, I think that works fine now (they still hear it but I've often evaded detection despite that)
Pfff, LOL :-D

Btw. I just tried "power up mission" with those information in head and I DIDN¨T FAIL! Omg! I made a video of that, but youtube is working on that (I'll spam you later) :)

But yea, I got to the settlement, saw some scavs, sneaked behind crates, opened my way (because I remembered layout) to the building, got that powered up. I was ready to be swarmed near the generator, but I wasn't. Got out, disabled everything on the way (btw. isn't those skimmers and so on kill those scavs? It would be cool), got out of the building, one scav was there, almost got killed (forgot to engage shields), but few shots from "bright pink plasma gun" and it was done. Next time I won't forget the shields :-D

Here will be the video, it's still encoding, it's in 2K, but I think it will be accessible like in the Saturday noon (UTC).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30-mhjSJJ9Q&list=PLS4sMq4fWIO-rq9GDuV1krYFYbZuSzO7U

Thank you very much for your help, I've noticed I am already subcribed & "belled" to your channel, I knew I know your name :LOL:

See ya! :)

Good stuff.

I saw a video where the patrol ship was alerted even when the settlement alarms were disabled. Is there any way to avoid alerting the patrol ship?

Last edited:
One other bug I've had is being scanned even after authority scans has been deactivated. I've never yet successfully completed a power on mission either; I've tried 6 & regardless of mission threat level I've always had waves of elites drop in in vultures once the settlement goes live so given up on those. All in all I'm about over Odyssey tbh. Nice guides though @Ydiss - subbed.

Somebody get Stealth Boy a suit with the Quieter Footsteps mod; I'd like to know how effective that is.

As hell is likely to freeze over before anyone gets 40 Opinion Polls, 20 Cat Memes and whatever else FDev have asked for that is unrealistically high our only chance is a pre-engineered suit, or FDev coming to their senses and reducing the requirements (or increasing the spawn rate) for those materials.

Top Bottom