I just saw NPC becoming self-aware.

So there I was, minding my own business, spreading words of wisdom among non-player population of remote settlements and looking for crap people forgot to glue to the floor.
I just landed near some small planetary settlement and disembarked, looking for some guy I promised to deliver package for.
While I was leaving landing pad, a NPC walked by - nothing out of the ordinary, you see them all the time, doing chores, patrolling the grounds, etc. As he wasn't the one I was looking for, I paid him no mind and he paid no attention to me too. He just slowly walked on, as if lost in thought. Didn't scan me, didn't even look at me.

After making my delivery I was returning to my ship when I saw him again and I realized that he was obviously leaving the settlement.
1.jpg

2.jpg

That's... weird, I thought.
I've watched him slowly walking straight ahead and I couldn't shake the feeling that he is not on any adventure. There was no spark in his step. He wasn't looking for anything, he wasn't going anywhere in particular. He just slowly, but deliberately moved forward. Away from me, away from other NPC's, away from sources of energy and air. Away from everything, into the dark and cold night.

3.jpg

I just know he wasn't planning to come back. He had enough of it all.

i had a similiar experience of npc leaving settles and going for walkabouts, mine was a normal cargo delivery,npc comes towards us and walk straight past me and ship walking into the dark gloomy world beyond.i followed him with the ship & he just kept going.

They're all self aware but trapped in a computer controlled behaviour pattern they can't escape, so next time you see an NPC looking angry or ugly this is just the innate horror of their mind-numbing existence being expressed on the only part of their body they have control over, their face. Pity them and put them out of their misery whenever you have the opportunity!

It's a bug. Some navmesh vertex divided by zero or whatnot. We are probably lucky the fellows are walking out into the sunset on solid ground, and not straight up on the rainbow bridge to Neverland. Though I'd want that latter one even less fixed than the former.

Top Bottom