Planetary circumnavigation in Odyssey (conclusions, videos, tips, etc)

Having already completed 4 previous planetary circumnavigations in the SRV in Horizons I've been curious for a while about what it would be like to do one in Odyssey.

I've had some strong reservations about Odyssey's planet tech so, although it's taken me a while to psych myself up to do it, I also felt duty bound to give it a proper go.

Two days ago (8th June 3308) I completed my much publicised circumnavigation of Col 359 Sector BE-Q c6-0 7 b so it's time to share my thoughts.

First off a little about the criteria I used to select which planet to do this on.

I wanted it to be smallish (under 400 km radius), have low gravity (under 0.05g), have an atmosphere, be relatively close to the bubble, and be scenic with as much terrain variation as possible. For this the fabulous Spansh Body Search proved to be an absolutely invaluable resource. I forget the exact criteria I fed in but it was along these lines ..

1nu8rl0.png

.. and produced a list of just 12 candidate worlds. I flew to each (using the excellent Cmdrs Toolbox Multi Waypoint Planner to plot my route) and spent time flying (and driving) around each to pick one I really liked. From the outset the variation between its areas of green "hillside" and flat white icy tundra (not to mention the bonus of a gas giant in the sky and its beautiful sky colouration) made "Col 359 Sector BE-Q c6-0 7 b" a standout candidate.

dZt0Kc4.png

Having picked the planet all I then needed to do was pick a place to start (and finish) and a heading to follow. As a rule I like to head 90° East (since that means you're driving towards the sunrises and have less chance of staying in the dark for extended periods of time) and to simply follow the equator (latitude 0°) as closely as possible so I just tracked that course in my ship until I spotted a feature (a crater in the middle of an ice flat) that would serve as a recognisable finish line. With hindsight a crater is not a great finish line since you can't easily see it from the ground. In Horizons I always liked to use those mounds that you would find in the middle of certain craters but alas those are gone in Odyssey so perhaps a mountain top would have been better?

I guess also a quick word on navigation. As I said, I generally just stuck to a heading of 90° and latitude 0°, adjusting my direction of travel as the latter started to go either positive (in which case veer right a bit) or negative (veer left). But I also used @Crank Larson's terrific SRVTracker utility which lets you both set waypoints and track them (via an on-screen overlay). I set my start point as the first waypoint so I could use that as an accurate guide to my exact finish point (both heading and distance) but I also set waypoints at the end of each day for further tracking of my progress (and also as a handy backup ... if you die in the SRV in Odyssey then, unlike Horizons, you end up back in the ship but alas NOT directly above the place where you died).

The journey itself is probably best conveyed via the videos I recorded along the way.

Source: https://youtu.be/1e3lYE2RoR8

Source: https://youtu.be/zzCgAKC2Bw0

Source: https://youtu.be/PcnEvLOFKTs

Source: https://youtu.be/KK_LmTrfHpU

Source: https://youtu.be/Hu6hXi7c0EI

Overall it was an absolutely stunning journey but ... I also still have deep misgvigings about Odyssey planet tech compared to Horizons.

First the good stuff. Obviously from those videos you can see that it is VERY beautiful. The colouration of the sky adds a great deal of ambience and, as you travel, you also experience astonishing changes, from sunrises that start with a vague hint of colour in the sky, then build to a classic early dawn ..

YCzD9hF.png

.. before changing (surprisingly quickly) to the bright blue of another glorious day ..

ra7VOWG.png

.. to sunsets where the low dusk light levels seems to linger a lot longer than the quite rapid changes of dawn ..

C96VbKt.png

(although maybe that's just a consequence of having my back to it)

The surface detail is also quite astonishing. Variation in textures, levels of surface cracking, size and quantity of scatter rocks, etc is significantly better than Horizons. That said, it's not particularly kind on the SRV (and I think this is one area where perhaps SRV racers struggled a bit ... you can no longer easily swoosh along the surface like you're playing Tiny Wings) ..

DjlPU3.gif

Instead it's a constant battle to build up speed (although build up speed you must .. travelling fast along the ground in a Scarab in Odyssey is a nightmare, instead you really need to get above 40m/s and take to the air ASAP if you're to have any hope of heading in the same direction at speed for a prolonged period of time). Other problems include the dreaded late spawning rocks, and several times I was brought to a juddering, hull crushing stop when a boulder the size of a cow would materialise out of nowhere, less than a second before I hit it head on. Those aside, for me personally the rougher terrain is not a criticism of Odyssey. As racers were were spoiled for fun in Horizons. Odyssey has become a more realistic place in this regard and (given I'm still able to do what I just did) I'm OK with that.

So the plus points are obviously there and I'd be foolish to claim that Odyssey isn't astonishing when it's good. The valley in the "Sound of Music" video above, the way the green hills finished and the ice started and I was able to cross from a hill on one side and then look back from a hill on the other ... it really reminded me of the Austrian countryside and damn near brought a tear to my eye it was so magnificent.

But - there are definitely issues.

For one I really dislike the shape and scale of the "mountains". It's exactly like the algorithm has just pinched bits of the ground and pulled them up to varying heights. They're small and thin and simplistic and no comparison whatsoever with the vast mountain ranges we have in Horizons which you can spend hours climbing and in whose terrain you can get completely lost. And that's true of canyons too.

In fact, generally scale is the main issue. And I don't just mean height of mountains. It's more like the general scale of all terrain variability. So in Odyssey I was passing from rolling green fields to rocky mountains to flat plains of ice several times a session. It's beautiful but each is indistinguishable from the last and it does become repetitive. In Horizons you might travel for extended periods across dull flat areas, but what made that exciting was that you'd see a feature on the Horizon (perhaps a mountain, perhaps the dark hint of a ravine complex) and take another half hour or so to get there. There was a sense of anticipation, of getting gradually closer, and the feature itself would be epic. So epic that once you'd finally managed to traverse it you were glad of another period of dull terrain for the rest and relaxation it provided. I claim that's kinda gone in Odyssey. There's still great terrain, but its small and just repeats again and again all the way around the planet. And here's the real test of that. When we staged the First Great Planetary Expedition in Horizons back in 3305 we mapped our chosen planet, picking (and naming) numerous features along our chosen route to act as waypoints for the expedition. Tangled flat-top expanses of ravine with names like "The Lithops Mesa" or the torturous "Northern Route" (a ravine that took days to map), towering mountain ranges to be crossed like "Sulphur Peak" and "The Cliffs of Insanity", and even subtle but no less distinguishable ground features like the gentle discoloured indentation of "Coluber's Folly". You can see all of these and more (and still visit them in Horizons) on the interactive map we built over here (click on the gif).

I would really REALLY love to stage a similar expedition in Odyssey. But unless there are planets that we can map to the same degree, I just don't think it's going to be very interesting.

There's more to say (like how ugly nightvision in Odyssey is - it's just so garish and only seems to illuminate the edges of rocks, but not the ground itself) so perhaps I'll return to this thread and continue this later (I did want to give a bunch more advice for anyone considering their own circumnavigation), but for now lunchtime calls and I've already written over 1400 words!

PqTEGnC.png

[to be continued]

Last edited:
I can add to this that driving Scarab is so different that basically you need to learn driving again.
Attempts to drive "like in Horizon" is a path to frustration.
After that driving becomes more enjoyable: there are still flat areas where you can drive with 40m/s for a long time jumping above obstacles.
The Odyssey (the same way as Horizons) also has bumpy areas which I try to avoid.
I have driven a lot on the planets in Horizons, quite relaxing experience combined with collecting mats; always liked car driving games(flatout, split second, blur, art of rally etc).
Recently did couple of runs to fill Selenium and Ruthenium shortages, works for me, driving is good, the experience is quite OK.
Since I am interested in collecting mats (not a big fan of shards because no driving there) please consider to elaborate into the issue: Surface Prospecting - Materials Disappear before they can be collected by scoop
Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I find your comparison of Horizons to Odyssey very interesting and completely understand your comments.
When Odyssey first came out I was excited to do some new plant life hunting, exploring many Atmospheric worlds looking for all the new plant life.
I found some amazing looking plant life and spectacular landscapes with beautiful atmospheric lighting.

But after awhile I started missing the verity of the Horizons landscape “ mountains/valleys “

I found the Odyssey landscape starting to all look the same from planet to planet although pretty, I prefer Horizons for exploring.

one thing that bothers me about Odyssey vs Horizons is that Odyssey never stops rendering that constantly breaks the immersion.
Driving in horizons is easier because you can plot your path a ways off and doesn’t change in the last second rendering, driving on Horizon planets is just enjoyable.

Last edited:
I find your comparison of Horizons to Odyssey very interesting and completely understand your comments.
When Odyssey first came out I was excited to do some new plant life hunting, exploring many Atmospheric worlds looking for all the new plant life.
I found some amazing looking plant life and spectacular landscapes with beautiful atmospheric lighting.

But after awhile I started missing the verity of the Horizons landscape “ mountains/valleys “

I found the Odyssey landscape starting to all look the same from planet to planet although pretty, I prefer Horizons for exploring.

one thing that bothers me about Odyssey vs Horizons is that Odyssey never stops rendering that constantly breaks the immersion.
Driving in horizons is easier because you can plot your path a ways off and doesn’t change in the last second rendering, driving on Horizon planets is just enjoyable.
I assume you're referring to the thing where the terrain morphs into different shapes as you approach (I imagine gaining more polygons and precision which redefine its shape). I didn't actually see too much of that (maybe I was moving too fast?), just the rocks that literally beam in (they even have what seems like an animation for it, momentarily appearing almost as a wireframe hologram before fully rendering). Interestingly (and I don't think I imagined it), that got worse in the final 100 km after update 12 had droppped.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed write up Alec. Your previous posts on this journey inspired me to try it myself, as driving planet surfaces is one of my favorite activities in the game. I kinda went about it in a silly way, hopping in my DBX to discover the perfect small atmospheric planet to circumnavigate. Well 2 days later I now realize how much a needle in the haystack that kind of planet is, so back to the bubble I go where I'll use that Spansh tool to find something closer to home.

Any further tips to offer on my upcoming road trip would be welcome. I was thinking it would be interesting to drive from pole to pole and back on a planet with ice caps, and that way you'll get a mix of different lighting as the day changes. Also thinking it would be wise to avoid those planets that are covered in that canyon/mesa geome.

Definitely agree with your assessment of Oddy terrain though, the scale of features has been compressed. I'm still hoping they'll perfect the stellar forge and bring back those amazing features like Mt. Neverest.

I've had some strong reservations about Odyssey's planet tech so, although it's taken me a while to psych myself up to do it, I also felt duty bound to give it a proper go.
Sounds like you formed your opinion before hand. So you understand that the results will be obviouse, the usual " Oh it's great, but... " . Specially when you compare random planets to Kumay which you found years after game release with the help of many many players and 11 page forum thread.

What i am trying to say is that you set your self up for a failure which reflected in your massivbe " but..." section of a post.

Sounds like you formed your opinion before hand. So you understand that the results will be obviouse, the usual " Oh it's great, but... " . Specially when you compare random planets to Kumay which you found years after game release with the help of many many players and 11 page forum thread.

What i am trying to say is that you set your self up for a failure which reflected in your massivbe " but..." section of a post.
I'd turn that on its head actually and say that I had an opinion, tried very hard to shake it and succeeded to some extent. Odyssey is a lot better than I thought.

I kinda went about it in a silly way, hopping in my DBX to discover the perfect small atmospheric planet to circumnavigate. Well 2 days later I now realize how much a needle in the haystack that kind of planet is, so back to the bubble I go where I'll use that Spansh tool to find something closer to home.
Yup, exactly what I did! 😄

Any further tips to offer on my upcoming road trip would be welcome. I was thinking it would be interesting to drive from pole to pole and back on a planet with ice caps, and that way you'll get a mix of different lighting as the day changes.
For sure, later this weekend hopefully. For pole to pole one thing you could do is map your route in advance, using SRVTtracker to lay down a series of waypoints to follow. Navigating by coordinates near the poles is quite tricky.

Definitely agree with your assessment of Oddy terrain though, the scale of features has been compressed. I'm still hoping they'll perfect the stellar forge and bring back those amazing features like Mt. Neverest.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up - FD's statement on the tiling issue suggested to me that they're done changing the planetary generation algorithm.

Your consumate SRV flying skills amaze me every time I see them, I can never achieve the same effect, although I have yet to do a planetary ground circumnavigation so a lot more practice may help, one day maybe.

Thanks ... it's amazing what driving a third of a light second in the SRV will do to improve your skills! 😄

Your consumate SRV flying skills amaze me every time I see them, I can never achieve the same effect, although I have yet to do a planetary ground circumnavigation so a lot more practice may help, one day maybe.
I've done a little SRV travelling with Alec and I never manage to keep up with him - I always feel a little guilty at slowing him down. You don't have to flyve like Alec - you can crawl along like me and find it just as much fun.
While the planet surfaces are visually more striking in Odyssey, I still find planets like Kumay and HIP 23759 9 far more satisfying to drive on in Horizons.

Yes, clear up- and downsides to the planetary tech, which we are unfortunately stuck with for the foreseeable future. And yes, the night vision is even worse in Odyssey (especially since U10 or so) and just increases the noticeability of the terrible AA.

Nice write up. For me the upsides far outweigh the downsides.

Plus, I know it took years for us to find the weirdo planets in Horizons, and there hasn't been enough time (or players) in Odyssey for us to say they don't exist.

Put me in the very happy camper group. I like the new planetary tech very much.

[continued]

OK - I said I'd come back and maybe add a few tips for others interested in doing a spot of SRV Gran Turismo (or maybe even a complete circumnavigation of their own).

I think I pretty much covered the navigation aspects in the OP (do ask if you have any further questions on that tho).

For the basics on driving the SRV at speed there's the classic "Flyving" infographic courtesy of my own inspiration and mentor Tannik Seldon ..

iIBP3Ve.png

.. and there's the article I wrote many years ago in issue 17 of Sagittarius Eye magazine (pages 27-33) ..

.. along with its video counterpart (watch out tho, there's a section of the article that's out of sequence in the video version) ..

Source: https://youtu.be/yL38GYNs1xo

People often complain that they really struggle, even bouncing and boosting, to get the SRV much above 35-40 m/s. I too had major problems with this and just couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. It really just comes down to a) tilting forwards to at least 60-70° before hitting those big long boosts to make them really add to your forward speed, and b) maintaining consistency in that 'bounce into the air - tilt down - booooost - level out - hit the next bounce cleanly - repeat' process. Your speed will build up gradually over time so it will take a minute or so of doing that before it climbs into the 60-80 m/s region (and beyond). Of course that's easier said than done when bounces twist you sideways so you will really need to master the pitch'n'roll motion described in the Sag Eye article first so that you can reliably correct your orientation each time it happens. There's no substitute for lots and lots of practice in this regard!

The only thing I'd add specifcally for Odyssey is that the rougher, more rock littered terrain requires a bit more care and attention re: getting up to speed in the first place and picking good landing spots once you're really flyving is crucial. For the latter, you'll learn to spot (from a long way off) the subtle highlights that reveal mounds and upslopes that are good to bounce off. Although you can stear left and right towards these (by tilting onto your side and boosting), the easiest way to to pick and hit a bounce spot is to use vertical boost to control your height and rate of descent. If it looks like you're going to overshoot your chosen spot then stop boosting and just fall, if it looks like you're going to land short then hit the boost and hold it (or tap tap tap it if the ENG capacitor has run out and you just need to eke out a final second or two of air time). Perhaps it might be a good idea to start off in Horizons where it's a little bit more forgiving.

For prepping the SRV prior to starting a run:
  • Make sure Drive Assist is turned off (it really inhibits the SRVs ability to hit and maintain flyving speeds).
  • Set 4 pips to ENG (the other 2 don't matter - note that shields don't provide the SRV any protection against terrain impacts).
  • Perhaps turn off the wave scanner (it's scraping sound can get pretty irritating after a while).
  • To de-clutter the HUD (by removing aiming reticles) turn off the dual plasma repeater module and remove all the firegroup bindings.
  • To save on fuel (not crucial as one tank lasts quite a long time) turn off the shields, data link scanner and (after setting 4 pips to ENG) the power distributor.
  • Perhaps most important, before you start rolling go to the Inventory tab in the right-hand panel, go down to the synthesis tab and pre-select the repair synthesis option (that way, in an emergency you can open your right-hand panel and find the repair option right there and ready to hit quickly). As a general run, when travelling at speed in Odyssey I'd say NEVER let your hull fall below 50% (where a single bad bounce could be your last).
  • I guess it also goes without saying that you should stock up on Iron and Nickel for basic repair synthesis. You can use the higher grades of repair to make the SRV a bit more resistent to damage but personally I find that doesn't make as much difference as you might hope and synthesis of those higher grades takes longer to complete (which can make the difference between life and death when you're on 5% hull and heading towards the ground).
Happy flyving Cmdrs!

o7

Last edited:
I assume you're referring to the thing where the terrain morphs into different shapes as you approach (I imagine gaining more polygons and precision which redefine its shape). I didn't actually see too much of that (maybe I was moving too fast?), just the rocks that literally beam in (they even have what seems like an animation for it, momentarily appearing almost as a wireframe hologram before fully rendering). Interestingly (and I don't think I imagined it), that got worse in the final 100 km after update 12 had droppped.
THIS is the thing I see in videos that complete kills my interest in Odyssey planet exploration. Odyssey screenshots are awesome (and usually the trigger for me thinking, "I really want to try Odyssey!"), but motion is what matters most.

So I guess the obligatory question is - does everyone suffer from this, or is it like performance, where some people do and others don't?

Top Bottom