Discovery Scanner - 15/08/2022

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders!

Nice little breakfast-vibe post for you to kick the day off early this morning, depending on your time zone, so we can start carving out the day just right.

As I mention in the 'Game News' section, we are still attentively farming feedback and relaying it in discussions around remaining, highly talked about issues with the development team to ensure we can provide accurate responses regarding their acknowledgement and progress.
This is naturally in line with regular duties and forward planning so we will be with you as soon as we can o7

Have a great day anyway, all! Here's your Discovery Scanner for the day: www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-15082022

See you in the black (and very green, eerie debris...).

o7

Morning Sally!

In the coming week's we plan to offer the option for PC players to launch the game on the 4.0 codebase to try it out.
  • Odyssey will still be an optional upgrade and necessary for on-foot content.
  • Players will still need to have the same version (Horizons or Odyssey) to instance together in game.

(my bolding)

Is this the final state, or do you plan to still move towards the original plan of Horizons and Odyssey players all being back together?

Between PC launch and console launch, you will not be able to instance with Horizons players if you are playing Odyssey. After console launch, you will be able to. Albeit, Horizons players will be limited to SRV travel on planet surfaces.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Greetings Commanders!

Nice little breakfast-vibe post for you to kick the day off early this morning, depending on your time zone, so we can start carving out the day just right.

As I mention in the 'Game News' section, we are still attentively farming feedback and relaying it in discussions around remaining, highly talked about issues with the development team to ensure we can provide accurate responses regarding their acknowledgement and progress.
This is naturally in line with regular duties and forward planning so we will be with you as soon as we can o7

Have a great day anyway, all! Here's your Discovery Scanner for the day: www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-15082022

See you in the black (and very green, eerie debris...).

o7
Yes Sally! Loving the Orange notes on the page 💜🌠 Nicely done. Hope you had a restful weekend.

Morning Sally!

(my bolding)

Is this the final state, or do you plan to still move towards the original plan of Horizons and Odyssey players all being back together?
Is that no what this is? If you run Horizons 4.0 you can instance with Odyssey 4.0.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That's not what it says .... which is why I asked
Oh, I thought it did. It could perhaps do with 'Horizons' being added to the first sentence

• In the coming week's we plan to offer the option for PC Horizons players to launch the game on the 4.0 codebase to try it out.
    • Players will still need to have the same version (Horizons or Odyssey) to instance together in game.
    • We appreciate there are still a number of questions around this subject matter for us to elaborate on and will answer as many as we can in due course.

But Odyssey is using the 4.0 codebase, that's what it's built on. So offering the choice to launch on 4.0 can only apply to Horizons. Therefore in order to instance together Horizons players must launch the 4.0 version.

That's not what it says .... which is why I asked

Yeah it's not clear.

Players will still need to have the same version (Horizons or Odyssey) to instance together in game.

It says Horizons OR Odyssey, not Horizons AND Odyssey. So it may be that H 4.0 can play with other 4.0 players, H 3.8 can play with other 3.8 players and O 4.0 can, of course, play with other O 4.0, but nowhere does it say H 4.0 and O 4.0 can play together, that's what needs clearing up.

Oh, I thought it did. It could perhaps do with 'Horizons' being added to the first sentence

• In the coming week's we plan to offer the option for PC Horizons players to launch the game on the 4.0 codebase to try it out.
    • We appreciate there are still a number of questions around this subject matter for us to elaborate on and will answer as many as we can in due course.

But Odyssey is using the 4.0 codebase, that's what it's built on. So offering the choice to launch on 4.0 can only apply to Horizons. Therefore in order to instance together Horizons players must launch the 4.0 version.
That is you hypothesising about what Sally means, but you don't know.

What would actually make sense is:
  • Players will still need to have the same version (3.8, 4.0) to instance together in game.

if they plan to let players on the same codebase play together.

But that is not what it says. Not a biggie, and we'll find out in a few weeks.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah it's not clear.

It says Horizons OR Odyssey, not Horizons AND Odyssey. So it may be that H 4.0 can play with other 4.0 players, H 3.8 can play with other 3.8 players and O 4.0 can, of course, play with other O 4.0, but nowhere does it say H 4.0 and O 4.0 can play together, that's what needs clearing up.

That is you hypothesising about what Sally means, but you don't know.

What would actually make sense is:

if they plan to let players on the same codebase play together.

But that is not what it says. Not a biggie, and we'll find out in a few weeks.

OK, but the main bullet point is talking about the codebase, not the version of the game. So when the sub bullet point says

It means the same version of the codebase, which is why it says 'Horizons or Odyssey'.

But as you say hopefully Sally will clarify it. And maybe can have the erroneous ' removed from the word week's too 😊

Yes - English being what it is, it's very hard to write something like this unambiguously without it being several times longer (and therefore introducing whole new phrases which can themselves be ambiguous)

"Players will still need to have the same version (Horizons or Odyssey) to instance together in game."

could mean

"Players will still need to have the same version ([i.e. 4.0, whether running] Horizons or Odyssey)"
(two instancing pools: 3.8H, and 4.0H+4.0O)

or it could mean
"Players will still need to have the same version ([i.e. the same selection for] Horizons or Odyssey)"
(three instancing pools: 3.8H, and 4.0H, and 4.0O)

It all depends as to whether you interpret 4.0H and 4.0O to be the same or different versions, and therefore which direction you think that clarificatory bracket is going, and whether that "or" in it is intended to merge or separate.

(I've seen Ozrics's post above as well, but could still do with a FDev official statement on this.)

The instancing compatibility thing is a major question for us Fuel rats. We we were assuming that codebase 4.0 players (running either Horizons or Odyssey DLC levels) would be able to instance together in ships.

The statement;

Suggests that the PC universe will now be split 3 ways? Hrz/3.8, Hrz/4.0, and Ody/4.0?? Is that the case, or will Hrz/4.0 and Ody/4.0 ships be able to instance together?

I appreciate there would be many complexities handling the interaction between on-foot commanders and Hrz/4.0 ships/srvs etc..

I hope that the confusion here is just imprecise wording.

Breakfast has suddenly got complicated.

8233615.attach

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Yes - English being what it is, it's very hard to write something like this unambiguously without it being several times longer (and therefore introducing whole new phrases which can themselves be ambiguous)

"Players will still need to have the same version (Horizons or Odyssey) to instance together in game."

could mean

"Players will still need to have the same version ([i.e. 4.0, whether running] Horizons or Odyssey)"
(two instancing pools: 3.8H, and 4.0H+4.0O)

or it could mean
"Players will still need to have the same version ([i.e. the same selection for] Horizons or Odyssey)"
(three instancing pools: 3.8H, and 4.0H, and 4.0O)

It all depends as to whether you interpret 4.0H and 4.0O to be the same or different versions, and therefore which direction you think that clarificatory bracket is going, and whether that "or" in it is intended to merge or separate.
I can see a lot of you are getting confused here so Bruce is coming in to help on some previous comment highlighted by @Factabulous

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The statement;

It is still a nested bullet point though and refers to the main bullet point.

Suggests that the PC universe will now be split 3 ways? Hrz/3.8, Hrz/4.0, and Ody/4.0?? Is that the case, or will Hrz/4.0 and Ody/4.0 ships be able to instance together?

Both of those can be and will be true.

The last update confirmed you would be able to launch Horizons in 3.8 or 4.0 https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/update-13-narrative-and-access-40

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
Morning Sally!

(my bolding)

Hi Factabulous,

What Sally has posted is correct. When the option to launch in 4.0 is made available to all PC players, instancing will be separate between 3.8 and 4.0 (as it has always been) AND separate between Horizons and Odyssey on 4.0. There's no final state to confirm in situations like this which are always open to re-evaluation. If the situation changes, we'll make an announcement to that effect.

There's a highly voted Update 13 issue on the tracker that hasn't been acknowledged yet. Can that please be looked at at some point? It's a big deal to me that I can't feed the Thargoids. 🥺

Top Bottom