Horizons 64 Bit Installations

In order to download/install and play Elite Dangerous: Horizons 64 bit, do I also need to download/install Elite Dangerous [64 bit]? I currently have Elite Dangerous 32 bit installed.

I'm installing for the first time and I only had the option to install the 32 bit version of Elite Dangerous to begin with. After installing that then rebooting the launcher it gave me the option to install the 64 bit version of Horizons.

That might be why people are asking about this, the launcher doesn't give you the option to install straight to the 64 bit horizons to begin with. I think you have to install the 32 bit base game then install the 64 bit horizons. It might just replace everything but that is how it's working for me atm.

I'm probably being thick but why do I have an install of Elite 32bit, Elite 64bit & Horizons 64bit? I can't see the point of Elite 32bit, or in fact 64bit, being installed. Surely Horizons 64bit is all I should need or am I stupid?

Last edited:
I'm probably being thick but why do I have an install of Elite 32bit, Elite 64bit & Horizons 64bit? I can't see the point of Elite 32bit, or in fact 64bit, being installed. Surely Horizons 64bit is all I should need or am I stupid?

Correct. Horizons 64 is all you need.

Just delete the folders you don't need.

Last edited:
I'm installing for the first time and I only had the option to install the 32 bit version of Elite Dangerous to begin with. After installing that then rebooting the launcher it gave me the option to install the 64 bit version of Horizons.

That might be why people are asking about this, the launcher doesn't give you the option to install straight to the 64 bit horizons to begin with. I think you have to install the 32 bit base game then install the 64 bit horizons. It might just replace everything but that is how it's working for me atm.

Same here, the 32b ED became available a little sooner. When I cancelled the DL after a minute I could immediately DL ED:H.

Well I have tried to d/l ED:H 64bit 4 times today, failed every single time, about half way through. So I'll try try the ED 64bit first then ED:H 64 bit and see how that goes, really annoying me not finishing any of the 4 d/l attempts.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Well I have tried to d/l ED:H 64bit 4 times today, failed every single time, about half way through. So I'll try try the ED 64bit first then ED:H 64 bit and see how that goes, really annoying me not finishing any of the 4 d/l attempts.

Hmm, failing during the download is odd, it may be that the rate of download reached an immeasurably slow rate and the launcher gave up. Try again, there should be less pressure on the server today.

Failing that (and this is bold) try deleting the whole game folder and starting from scratch in case there's some weirdness going on with a partially downloaded file.

Note doing the latter WILL mean a lot more downloading and isn't guaranteed to work.

Hmm, failing during the download is odd, it may be that the rate of download reached an immeasurably slow rate and the launcher gave up. Try again, there should be less pressure on the server today.

Failing that (and this is bold) try deleting the whole game folder and starting from scratch in case there's some weirdness going on with a partially downloaded file.

Note doing the latter WILL mean a lot more downloading and isn't guaranteed to work.

I have already deleted the whole Elite Dangerous folder as I thought there might have been some compatability issue, made no difference unfortunately. The first two attempts earlier today were with the 32bit ver still installed, the latter 2 were when I deleted/uninstalled the complete elite dangerous folder. Nearly half way through now with the 32bit ver, will wait and see.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

edit: I have just noticed the download not downloading at all, just stagnate, so I dare say this will fail too, bout 1/4 way through d/l 32bit. :(

Last edited:
Is there any way to re install the game as 32 bit? I'm stuck with my crappy laptop atm and it can't seem to run the 64 bit horizons. Can I just downgrade and play without the content of horizons which I'm assuming can only be installed in 64 bit?

Is there any way to re install the game as 32 bit? I'm stuck with my crappy laptop atm and it can't seem to run the 64 bit horizons. Can I just downgrade and play without the content of horizons which I'm assuming can only be installed in 64 bit?

.. but jut how "crappy" IS your laptop?
Does it have a 64-bit-capable CPU? Is it running on a 64-bit OS (eg Win 8.1)?
Does it have MORE THAN 4Gb RAM?

If you bought the Horizons release, I don't think you'll have the 32-bit non-Horizons "as well", since the Horizons release includes the base game.
In which case, contact Frontier, and be sure to have whatever proof of purchase HANDY. If you bought online and downloaded, you should have some email confirmation and/or invoice. Ordered the box? I hope you kept the delivery note. Get in touch with them (you may start via the Frontier TICKETing part of the website) and let them know your predicament, and that you'd like to play the non-Horizons flight-only..
With any luck, as long as you can prove purchase e.g. of Horizons package, they might just pop a key into your account for you to download the earlier.

If you bought an earlier release, and added Horizons after, then you should have all you need.

Good luck.

Top Bottom