65000 Ly from Sol Club, thread the fourth

The 65k Club is now closed.

When we started there were few ships that could jump more than 30ly, now double that is routine. Crossing the Abyss was hard, now you hardly register its existence. You had to make every jump yourself, you couldn't dock in a carrier and be moved thousands of light years between logins.

Many thanks to you for maintaining the member list for over two years! As many thanks naturally also to your predecessors. Deep respect to all those who met the entry requirements pre engineering and pre jumponium.
o7

The 65k Club is now closed, with 1,217 members.

When we started there were few ships that could jump more than 30ly, now double that is routine. Crossing the Abyss was hard, now you hardly register its existence. You had to make every jump yourself, you couldn't dock in a carrier and be moved thousands of light years between logins.

The trip is still worthwhile, the view remains the same and the sense of remoteness, while diminished, is still real. There's no longer any real achievement just in getting there, nothing is required but patience even if you don't just get the bus.

iu

PS: The 48hr challenge will continue to be maintained.
You're absolutely right. Oh well, everything comes to an end sooner or later. Thank you very much for keeping it running for so long. BTW, on my last trip to Ishum's Reach I saw two carriers there, one was abandoned already. We have our junk floating in the most remote part of the galaxy now.🙈

Yeah, now that engineering has become widespread now, we should be seeing a lot more people making these kinds of times. It's totally doable with a fully kitted out explorer ship. So, maybe like the OG 65k Club, maybe one day this challenge will need to ALSO be retired.

But, for now, job well done.

Yeah, now that engineering has become widespread now, we should be seeing a lot more people making these kinds of times. It's totally doable with a fully kitted out explorer ship. So, maybe like the OG 65k Club, maybe one day this challenge will need to ALSO be retired.

But, for now, job well done.

I dunno. Yes, it's easier than it was when jump ranges were shorter, hence the record being below 6 hours now, but sitting and jumping for 12 or more hours straight is still something a doubt many people will be ringed to do.

If I'm wrong I'll make it the 12h challenge instead of 48h.

Commander Baudelier here, and I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the 48 hour challenge.

I'll be flying my fully engineered Sidewinder the CNR Affenpinscher in the Unlimited Class.
I'm planning on departing around 7:00 EST (12:00 UTC) from Hutton Orbital 4.38Ly from SOL.

My previous best time to Beagle Point was when I was using Spansh to teach practice neutron jumping,
going around 35 hours across 7 days. I've learned a lot since then so while I'm certain that I won't be able to
get anywhere near the record, currently just under 6 hours, I'm fairly confident I can make the 48. 😸

TeF6w1S.jpg

And, my first attempt at the 48 hour challenge is a fail.

10 hours and 21,000 light years in the twist to yaw sensor on my Thrustmaster T16000m failed.
This is my third T16000m and second warranty replacement. They've all died the exact same way
and with this last one biting it in just 4 months (The first two lasted over a year each). I'm done with
Thrustmaster.

It didn't help that, as I was contemplating the pain of yet another warranty call, that I looked up just buying a
new stick and found that its price has effectively doubled in the last four months. Going from $60.00 to
$115.00 / $120.00 for JUST the stick. I originally paid $120.00 for the Stick and Throttle HOTAS pack. And,
right now they want $500.00 for the complete set (Stick, Throttle and, Rudder pedals.) That's insane!
That's as much as the Warthog or an Entry Level VIRPIL stick.

I've ordered a new Logitech X-56 to replace the T16000m. Making sure to get the Logitech re-worked grey label
version instead of the, less than reputable, blue label Saitek/madcatz version. It should arrive sometime next week.
Then I just have to re-build all my bindings from scratch and then memorize them. 😾

Still, not a total loss. The performance of the Affenpinscher over the course of those 10 hours shows she has the
endurance to handle the trip and, as long as I don't get lost, again. She'll definitely be able to make Beagle Point
within the 48 hour window. She's a beautiful little ship, and she'll always have a place in my fleet.

aJS4C1C.jpg

VB7SrIj.jpg

Even though I flew in an un-engineered Asp Explorer, that took 46 days to get there. That was truly a challenge.

Ok, as HaggisMuncher69 suggested, lock the thread.

Gary

Top Bottom