So you like weird maths, ey?
How about this one:

Three friends were out for a cup of coffee and some snacks.
When they were finished, waitress handed them a 30 quid bill. So they each paid £10 and were about to leave when she came back.
She apologized that she had made a mistake and the bill is only £25 and she gave them their 5 pounds back.
Because it was nice of her and £5 is not easily divisible by 3 anyway, each friend took back one pound and gave her the remaining two as a tip.

So...
That means that each one in fact paid £9 - that is £27 together plus that £2 tip, which sums up to a £29 total.

Where the hell did that one pound go?

;)

How about this one:

When they were finished, waitress handed them a 30 quid bill. So they each paid £10 and were about to leave when she came back.
She apologized that she had made a mistake and the bill is only £25 and she gave them their 5 pounds back.
Because it was nice of her and £5 is not easily divisible by 3 anyway, each friend took back one pound and gave her the remaining two as a tip.

So...
That means that each one in fact paid £9 - that is £27 together plus that £2 tip, which sums up to a £29 total.

;)
I've heard of this one before, and it's all in how you explain it.
If you explain it as 3x9+2=29 then yes, there is a 1 missing.
But when explained correctly, it all adds up.

The bills was 25
Each friend got an extra 1, so that's 3
The waitress got 2
25+3+2=30

EDIT: I told this puzzle to two teachers, and they ended up arguing over it :D

The bills was 25
The waitress got 2
25+3+2=30

Hahah, yes. Of course the "trick" in this riddle is to distract the listener.
It's not the math that's wrong, it's the way you lay the problem before them. :)

How about this one:

So...

;)
In reality as the bill is £25, each paid £8. And the remaining pound helps to pay the entire bill.

🤪

How about this one:

So...

;)

The bills was 25
The waitress got 2
25+3+2=30

Hahah, yes. Of course the "trick" in this riddle is to distract the listener.
It's not the math that's wrong, it's the way you lay the problem before them. :)
As if you (ie anyone interested) needed further explanation of how this puzzle works ... and because this might be interesting .... VSauce's Kevin explains it

I had seen this video when it first came out, but as if by magic, Youtube recommended it today :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom