96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

I remember watching the thread unfold on this one. CookieJarviz was unconvinced of the likelihood of it being in the bubble. Still, they went and found a system in alliance space using good old logic and decided to check it. A planet similar to the one in the trailer (beige, amirite?) was found and others flocked to it to search. Then someone found it.

Weirdly fast? Maybe. I've seen more suspect things in gaming before, though.

I am calling Shenanigans. This is not the first time something like this has happened, and yet it was never THIS obvious.

Let me back up. While my IQ isn't all that high, probably mid double digits, I have often wondered about the probability of a lone explorer finding a McGuffin that furthers the game canon in a game with a 1:1 scale galaxy.

(In no particular order... and I have more, but haven't had enough coffee yet to remember them all)
* Jaques station goes missing. Everyone is wondering where it might be. A lone explorer finds it 21k lightyears away... Huh. Wow, that's pretty dang cool.
* There are capital ships in the game. Oh, here is how I found them.... Huh. That's cool. Um... ok.
* Alien probes, planetary barnacles, unknown artifacts... Huh. That's... odd. How did you locate... nevermind, I wanna go see 'em too.
* Thargoids are coming. You can get a really cool, really scary cutscene if you go to THIS area of space while carrying THIS specific item on board. Huh... now just how in the blue blazes did you know... you know what, I'm sold. I wanna do that too.
* Less than 96 hours after seeing an old Inara Base for less than 2 seconds in an already busy trailer, said base is found.

Ok. Look, I get it. there are 400 BILLION (say it like Carl Sagan!) star systems. Devs want to advance the story. Get the word out. Get everyone excited about something coming down the pipeline. But, come on... really?? This just has the overt feeling of someone from Frontier telling a buddy to go look at this system, these co-ords.

If you are going to be cryptic and say there are still lots of mysteries from day 1 yet to be discovered in the main bubble, yet this happens so soon after seeing it at FdevCon or whatever it was... that's just shenanigans.

Look, you have me. I am playing your game. In fact, it's on another screen as I type this. I really, really love this game. No matter how many times I take a break from playing, no matter how long that brake may be... I am still here. I am still playing. I have invested SO much time into this game, and I am not sorry one bit. It is my little slice of heaven in a world gone mad. But ... really? REALLY?!? How about just leaving breadcrumbs in the GalNet and let us find stuff?

If I was that lucky, I would buy lottery tickets.

Sorry. End of Not Enough Coffee Rant.

Im glad you called shenanigans because I was in the verge of calling shenanigans myself (yes those exact words), and I'm glad I'm not alone. But you kind of shot yourself in the foot with your rant, by listing events which have fairly straightforward explanations and mixing them in with the genuine shenanigans ones. And now all your detractors are going to fixate in the handful of incorrect assumptions you have made and use that as an excuse to dismiss your larger overarching accusation; which I'm pretty sure is valid.

Although in the case of the INRA shenanigans I'm more inclined to assume file dipping shenanigans rather than Frontier meddling, if only because the INRA site is kind of anticlimactic to have discovered in this way, and it seems like the kind of thing the devs would have wanted to build one of their convoluted clue-hunts around. If this is indeed the way that Frontier intended for the INRA site to be found, well that would be truly disappointing given the relatively huge impact it has on the story and lore.

But yeah certainly shenanigans of some kind.

Shenanigans.

If true, it destroys any impartiality that Frontier possesses, on anything.

Not to be a buzzkill here but why were we ever supposed to assume impartiality in the first place? They're not the Supreme Court they're a videogame company telling a story about flying saucers being eaten by mushrooms. If every accusation leveled at them were true, how big of a deal would it actually be? Incidentally that's why I'm not particularly skittish about assuming that some of these accusations *are* true; because if it turns out that someone at Frontier told a YouTube streamer or a player group leader about where to find a cool thing in their game, well yes it's certainly kinda lame and fully appropriate to Call Shenanigans, but is even really a scandal?

I must say I do find the finding of the Thargoid scout and the INRA base a bit hard to believe. I mean, I get that you can do sky-box triangulation and stuff to _maybe_ get to the right planet but do you know how big a planet is?!?! I mean, if someone pointed me at Earth and told me to find, errr, I dunno ... the site of the Burning Man festival (i.e. something quite big who's location I don't already know) ... it would take months if not years.

Meh,

If I wanted to find the Burning Man festival, I'd just look out of my kitchen window. :p

On topic, I see reddit has come to the forums.

The only thing I'll say is that I really, really, hope that people who're doing QA testing for FDev use an alt-account with an empty friend list.
Cos, not doing that would be reckless in the extreme.

There's some disinformation being spread here ... including how Jacques was found ... which really was dumb luck by a Commander who was examining the map looking for something else and found it sticking out like a sore thumb in the filter data within the game.

In the case of the INRA base - the base featuring in the video clip has NOT been found. Somebody went 'straight' to another base and found that. How he did that is still open to debate.

But the fact remains, we still haven't found the base featured in the FX17 video clip.

That is a baseless accusation that I would suggest you reconsider.

Come on man, throw us a bone here. This base was found 4 days after the expo. You don't think everyone on these forums were immediately suspicious. Either dude figured out a technical way to puzzle it out or someone simply told him. I'm leaning towards Occam's Razor on this one.

If you want to throw your weight around and ban me for saying what we all suspected, go ahead, you'll only be confirming everything I said.

All we know is that so far nobody has found any way in game of finding these, like the number stations. At least nobody has reported them.

Last edited:
Come on man, throw us a bone here. This base was found 4 days after the expo. You don't think everyone on these forums were immediately suspicious. Either dude figured out a technical way to puzzle it out or someone simply told him. I'm leaning towards Occam's Razor on this one.

If you want to throw your weight around and ban me for saying what we all suspected, go ahead, you'll only be confirming everything I said.

All we know is that so far nobody has found any way in game of finding these, like the number stations. At least nobody has reported them.

Having had to sign a pile of NDA's thicker than a phone book(almost) to be allowed in to frontier towers, those NDA's being binding even after what I was shown is out in the open, and knowing how seriously Fdev take keeping things secret I fail to see the motivation in leaking that info by frontier, they don't gain anything by doing so and whoever did it would no doubt be in trouble.

Occam's razor would point somewhere else other than Frontier having a leak.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
The irony of the pun :p

We still haven't found 'the' base

Maybe that base doesn't exist?

Who's to say FD didn't place the base on the planet, capture the video footage, and then decide they wanted to move it before 2.4 released? I know other things have been found by looking at sky boxes, but that may not always work. I dunno. :)

Having had to sign a pile of NDA's thicker than a phone book(almost) to be allowed in to frontier towers, those NDA's being binding even after what I was shown is out in the open, and knowing how seriously Fdev take keeping things secret I fail to see the motivation in leaking that info by frontier, they don't gain anything by doing so and whoever did it would no doubt be in trouble.

Easy. Frontier decided to leak it.

There is sort of an answer to this problem.

Don't watch ED on YouTube and avoid the threads for a bit.

I tried this the first days of 2.4

Only thing what I found was off course the non human signal source. I visited barnacles and an unknown structure but nothing new there.
No thargoid related missions from aegis and no useful information in galnet.

return of the fail... back to youtube gameplay. :rolleyes:

So you're confirming that the things you saw at Frontier's offices were shown at the expo or in recent updates?

Maybe that base doesn't exist?

Who's to say FD didn't place the base on the planet, capture the video footage, and then decide they wanted to move it before 2.4 released? I know other things have been found by looking at sky boxes, but that may not always work. I dunno. :)

I thought the camera angle was deliberately placed as a 'reveal' for the stars. Remembering that there was a classic discovery of something in the game (can't remember what it was now) from the stars/nebulae, that FD didn't anticipate, they have always been careful in other videos not to reveal the stars. But this time they have, which makes me think it's a big hint.

Except we haven't worked it out !

That is a baseless accusation that I would suggest you reconsider.

Don't over-extend your mod powers, mate. Baseless accusation or not, lots of them are made on a daily basis in these forums all the time - inside and outside this game and in other places like redit.

You are a forum moderator, not some Frontier thug, so don't throw words around like "I would suggest you reconsider" - comes across as threatening, no?

The irony of the pun :p

We still haven't found 'the' base

We found "a" INRA base. Which makes this look even more suspect. There was no way that anyone could see or know that a base or a crashed ship or a guardian site was on the ground. There is no way to see it from space and you cannot possibly just stumble across it.

Once you break into the code all you have to do is search for the asset list, Then find the new assets that did not exist on the last list. After that all you will need to do is look through any of the code that sends requests for that asset to the servers and you have your system and planet.

That would be the quick dirty way of finding it with no coding skills. It seems way more plausible than someone just "finding" it. Or using the stars. You would have to search 10 million systems in order to find anything that way. The sky box wont change much if at all until you have shifted position 1000lys or more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom