A balance suggestion that could encourage players to be better pilots

Hi
So this isn't my idea. I've heard other people mention it. Just wanted to discuss it somewhere Fdev might be watching.

My proposition is to add a size 1 module to all ships. In that slot goes the flight assist module. This module can be removed and something else put there or kept.

The flight assist off flight model whilst not exactly representative of known physics, is a wonderful solution that allows the game to still work. Why there is no in game encouragement to use it I have no idea.
I certainly would not still be playing this game if you could only use the flight assist model. Floating around in the ice rings silently with no thruster noise only a few short thruster corrections is marvelous. Landing is a joy.

I understand that many don't have the time or patience to learn to fly their spaceship without computer assistance, so keeping it in the game is a must obviously, and people wouldn't have to change the builds if it was an added slot. But it would encourage people to learn if they could remove it and put something else there like a discovery scanner or module reinforcement pack. So it would help to not have it but not to a disproportionate amount.

It would in turn advantage small ships the most. Finally my eagle could be my exploration vessel!

And it would encourage pvpers who turn flight assist off just for combat because they can boost around without consequence to their surroundings in open space, to go further and use it to land etc. And punish filthy togglers. Filthy togglers.

To do this wouldn't disadvantage anyone currently and wouldn't be overpowered, but would encourage people to invest in the beautiful unassisted flight model, which is one of the most rewarding measures of your own progression and an incredible source of content. And as a side effect it would allow conveniently for a discovery scanner on my exploreagle.

You don't keep the training wheels on your bicycle after you've learnt to ride after all.

There's plenty of in-game encouragement to use FA-Off though, there's a good reason why most combat pilots are well versed in fighting without flight assist and it's not simply for the bragging rights. There's plenty of maneuvers that are exceedingly difficult, if not outright impossible, to pull off without first switching off flight assist.

This is similar to a thought I had a while back though, where certain ship features would be slotted into a core computer rack for a ship that would be capable of running a certain number of "scripts" or having a limited amount of processing power. Things like flight assist, advanced turret controls, automated docking would be rolled into software packages that you can equip to your ship's computers, so players would be able to strip out things like fight assist in order to make room for more advanced targeting software, bulk data storage or exploration number crunchers, or even simply running an undersized computer in your ship to save weight and power. This would both provide much needed scaling for explorers as well as giving ships the option to customise into greater specialties in combat, while giving FD the freedom to add more useful features into the game without steadily creeping the power level in the game upwards.

What's wrong with more encouragement. A size 1 module for it is just logical. And it increases the viability of small ships for the activities, mining, exploration coming in the Q4 update

Also what I'm proposing means that the combat pilots that just toggle it on for open space combat are incentivized to used it for everything else too

Hi
So this isn't my idea. I've heard other people mention it. Just wanted to discuss it somewhere Fdev might be watching.

My proposition is to add a size 1 module to all ships. In that slot goes the flight assist module. This module can be removed and something else put there or kept.

The flight assist off flight model whilst not exactly representative of known physics, is a wonderful solution that allows the game to still work. Why there is no in game encouragement to use it I have no idea.
I certainly would not still be playing this game if you could only use the flight assist model. Floating around in the ice rings silently with no thruster noise only a few short thruster corrections is marvelous. Landing is a joy.

I understand that many don't have the time or patience to learn to fly their spaceship without computer assistance, so keeping it in the game is a must obviously, and people wouldn't have to change the builds if it was an added slot. But it would encourage people to learn if they could remove it and put something else there like a discovery scanner or module reinforcement pack. So it would help to not have it but not to a disproportionate amount.

It would in turn advantage small ships the most. Finally my eagle could be my exploration vessel!

And it would encourage pvpers who turn flight assist off just for combat because they can boost around without consequence to their surroundings in open space, to go further and use it to land etc. And punish filthy togglers. Filthy togglers.

To do this wouldn't disadvantage anyone currently and wouldn't be overpowered, but would encourage people to invest in the beautiful unassisted flight model, which is one of the most rewarding measures of your own progression and an incredible source of content. And as a side effect it would allow conveniently for a discovery scanner on my exploreagle.

You don't keep the training wheels on your bicycle after you've learnt to ride after all.

That's a great idea.

Another idea is that FA off could reduce your signature.

And another idea would be to add missions that require FA off and silent running to avoid detection.

Also, why not add racing missions. Surely, there are races in the galaxy. Imagine some canyon run races.

Of course, all suggestions are pointless.

Size one you say? Nice, a place for my docking computer :D
OP, Bigmaec just voiced my thoughts with this! I'd use the slot for a scanner instead of a docking computer, but the point is the same. What makes you think this will encourage more FA-Off flight and not less?

Hi

Not a fan of this because the entire concept of a simple piece of software for your ship computer being a multi-ton module is ridiculous anyway. See also docking computer, lol.

But the real problem here is that FAOFF is fundamentally flawed because it lacks rotational stabilization. Imagine playing KSP without any form of SAS, it's doable for a select few ultra-skilled players, for the rest it's just awkward and at most something you do for a few seconds in rare situations.

Deleted member 38366

D
There's a logical fallacy in the OP's argument : toggling FA OFF and ON isn't "filthy"... it's what skilled CMDRs do to maximize the effectiveness of their Ships.

Just like 100% FA ON isn't useful, 100% FA OFF isn't useful either. Neither would it be of any benefit to i.e. force Rotational Correction OFF inside Stations.
Both FA Modes play key roles in controlling the Ship under specific circumstances and are best applied when they fit the most.

So if anyone likes to fly 100% FA OFF - use that Option, but don't expect to force everyone to do the same.
Plenty of activities out there where FA OFF is nothing but a useless annoyance or at best a personally chosen handicap.
(various Controller limitations do their very own thing to the choice FA ON vs. OFF; not everyone has a nice multi-axis and multi-throttle HOTAS that allows perfect and intuitive analog control of all Ship Thusters at all times)

Fighting some one with faoff relative mouse, in a ship with fa on gives the faoff player an advantage.. a massive advantage.
I dont see how giving them more of one buy addong an extra slot no matter how small is a good thing.

Have you ever been hit with force shells with fa off? If you had you would be throwing that class one module in the bin and getting fa back.

So i dont think its as binary as is being portrayed when it come to fa off nor do i think fa off needs any more advantages than it alredy has.

Exploreagle can be done you just have to be very carful.. much like most things done in an eagle :D

Not a fan of this because the entire concept of a simple piece of software for your ship computer being a multi-ton module is ridiculous anyway. See also docking computer, lol.

Hence my suggestion about turning Flight Assist and the Docking Computer into actual software packages that are mounted in a server rack rather than being standalone modules. A basic class 1E computer rack would have the processing power to run flight assist and rotational correction, while those that are willing to spend the power and weight to get bigger and higher grade computers would be able to invest in more numerous and advanced software packages that provide the player with a wealth of QoL effects, additional information, automation and support. Things like flight assist wouldn't a multi-tonne module, but instead occupy a fraction of the available processing power of said module with the rest being available for allocation to other pieces of software.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I don't think something as simple as Flight Assist would require an entire module dedicated to it. Also, don't think the docking pc should be a separate module either.

Hmm. I don't really use FA off much, don't need it for PVE, never instigate PvP always wake... Sounds like a PvP thing.
Just saying. I'm on console, maybe this works for PC, dunno.

Top Bottom