Newcomer / Intro A Beginners Combat Problems

In a combat situation, how do you locate the enemy ship:
1. To target it, and
2. locate it AFTER you've targetted it?

I would have through there would be a directional arrow pointing to its position for you to follow. There is such in some combat training tutorials but not in others. :mad:

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmmm ....... but what about power adjustments between Systems, Engine and Weapons? How do you adjust those?

Thanks

In a combat situation, how do you locate the enemy ship:
1. To target it, and
2. locate it AFTER you've targetted it?

I would have through there would be a directional arrow pointing to its position for you to follow. There is such in some combat training tutorials but not in others. :mad:

Thanks.

It's complicated :)

Not really, but it takes some getting used to. You'll need to use your radar (the large round display right in front of you). It shows all the ships and other objects around you. The display is actually 3d, which you only get to appreciate in VR, so you'll have to use the lines connecting the radar targets to the display plane as a guide.
I guess you found out about the colour coding (red/white/green IIRC in the default colour scheme), shape (squares are harmless, triangles can be dangerous) and outlines (filled are NPCs, hollow are players) by now.
As for picking your target - again, several options, a lot of which can be bound to keys. Since I play in VR with a HOTAS, I have bound [target in front] - [next target] - [previous target] - [highest threat] to one of the hat switches. Looking at a target (that's the VR part) highlights it, then pressing [target in front] selects it.
Another option is to go to your left hand panel, skip to the targets tab and select it from the list. Tedious, but sometimes hard to avoid if you want to target that pesky fighter that manages to stick to your back.

As for locating after it's been targeted, you'll need to check the radar, and possibly look around. If you don't want to go VR, a head tracker or eye tracker definitely helps there.

It's complicated :)

Not really, but it takes some getting used to. You'll need to use your radar (the large round display right in front of you). It shows all the ships and other objects around you. The display is actually 3d, which you only get to appreciate in VR, so you'll have to use the lines connecting the radar targets to the display plane as a guide.
I guess you found out about the colour coding (red/white/green IIRC in the default colour scheme), shape (squares are harmless, triangles can be dangerous) and outlines (filled are NPCs, hollow are players) by now.
As for picking your target - again, several options, a lot of which can be bound to keys. Since I play in VR with a HOTAS, I have bound [target in front] - [next target] - [previous target] - [highest threat] to one of the hat switches. Looking at a target (that's the VR part) highlights it, then pressing [target in front] selects it.
Another option is to go to your left hand panel, skip to the targets tab and select it from the list. Tedious, but sometimes hard to avoid if you want to target that pesky fighter that manages to stick to your back.

As for locating after it's been targeted, you'll need to check the radar, and possibly look around. If you don't want to go VR, a head tracker or eye tracker definitely helps there.
Thanks Ashnak. Yes ...... on to that radar thing initially thanks to ****Razor, but will give that target tabing a go.

There IS a way to "target HOSTILE" ships, it is a key/button bind however it will prioritize hostile incoming missiles over the hostile ships that fired the missiles.

There IS a way to "target HOSTILE" ships, it is a key/button bind however it will prioritize hostile incoming missiles over the hostile ships that fired the missiles.
That is because it is based on the nearest threat but just as you can bind buttons to scroll forward and back through the contacts you can also bind buttons to do the same thing with hostiles and that will avoid you targeting missiles.

29ea24f27c70d6da9f8402993025ab39_-_Copy.png

Top Bottom