A Call For Frontier To Put VR Legs On The Upcoming Road Map

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't want to be lied to, but don't want honesty?

I want to be able to get Pineapple Jaffa Cakes in Tesco, but we can't always get what we want.
Hmm.. You struggle with english more than me :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Lets put it in simple words🤔

I don't want the salesman to tell me my new car is red when it's really green, just because I don't like the colour green. Nor do I want to keep a green car because I don't like the colour, so I'd want to change the car so I liked the colour of my car, and salesman tell me what colour it really is, red / blue / orange / whatevz.

CMs: "No VR improvement"
We know they are for reelz. but we no like this news, so we say...
"thanks for being honest, but this sucks, go and tell your company we don't like this"
You say "Ah! So you want to be lied to?" :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

As a VR exclusive player I'm honestly not that bothered. I've watched stacks of on foot play and it just seems ordinary. It's nothing like Horizons and it's got nothing on existing mature first person shooters, so much grind, repetition, tiny rewards. They might just as well have released a totally new game with just the on foot parts that I'm not interested in playing. I'm not sure how Horizons players are attracted to this average gameplay in the first place. So when they fix the fps issues, and I'm sure they will have to for console release, I will continue to play, in ship and in SRV and ignore the new and frankly boring unrewarding grind fest that is Odyssey on foot play.

As a VR exclusive player I'm honestly not that bothered. I've watched stacks of on foot play and it just seems ordinary. It's nothing like Horizons and it's got nothing on existing mature first person shooters, so much grind, repetition, tiny rewards. They might just as well have released a totally new game with just the on foot parts that I'm not interested in playing. I'm not sure how Horizons players are attracted to this average gameplay in the first place. So when they fix the fps issues, and I'm sure they will have to for console release, I will continue to play, in ship and in SRV and ignore the new and frankly boring unrewarding grind fest that is Odyssey on foot play.
Then I think you completely miss what "no further VR development" means. I'm ALSO a VR-only player. I bought Odyssey for one thing only: BETTER VISUALS. Well, those did not materialize. VR in Odyssey is significantly worse than in Horizons, period. I don't engage in the on-foot parts of Odyssey at all -- I think they're stupid and an unnecessary addition to the game. So, I don't care if they never add real VR to the "space legs" component. What I DO care about is continued improvement and enhancement of VR in the rest of the game that has historically BEEN VR. But with "no further development" comes that complete stagnation of the existing VR experience--with the only logical goal being to either get VR players to switch to boring pancake mode or to leave the game altogether. As for me, I will leave the game once VR is completely unplayable (it's very close to that now if you run in Odyssey mode instead of Horizons mode).

Then I think you completely miss what "no further VR development" means. I'm ALSO a VR-only player. I bought Odyssey for one thing only: BETTER VISUALS. Well, those did not materialize. VR in Odyssey is significantly worse than in Horizons, period. I don't engage in the on-foot parts of Odyssey at all -- I think they're stupid and an unnecessary addition to the game. So, I don't care if they never add real VR to the "space legs" component. What I DO care about is continued improvement and enhancement of VR in the rest of the game that has historically BEEN VR. But with "no further development" comes that complete stagnation of the existing VR experience--with the only logical goal being to either get VR players to switch to boring pancake mode or to leave the game altogether. As for me, I will leave the game once VR is completely unplayable (it's very close to that now if you run in Odyssey mode instead of Horizons mode).
I think those visual issues, all the lighting and broken planet tech etc are Odyssey wide, not just VR. I've hardly played because as you say it's unplayable really but I'm just hoping the generic fixing of visuals should make VR visuals better by default?

Hmm.. You struggle with english more than me :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Lets put it in simple words🤔

I don't want the salesman to tell me my new car is red when it's really green, just because I don't like the colour green. Nor do I want to keep a green car because I don't like the colour, so I'd want to change the car so I liked the colour of my car, and salesman tell me what colour it really is, red / blue / orange / whatevz.
They are telling you the truth - there are no plans currently for the car in the colour you want, not ruling it out in the future, but no plans and not currently in production.

Who DO you want from them? To change their minds and promise to develop VR? We don't always get what we want I'm afraid.

As VR players we recognise that EDO still has many hills to climb, and many different players to please. However, we’d like to take this moment to emphasise our passion for EDVR, and our desire for VR Legs to be supported in the game.

We would ask FDev to roadmap or otherwise clarify the plans for VR’s future. If roadmapped we would of course expect a later waypoint on the route, to ensure that Frontier can focus on fixing Odyssey's more pressing issues, for everyone's benefit.To this end we have been coralling VR bug reports into one thread, linked here: Odyssey VR specific bug reports

Player experimentation with the VR vanity camera has given us a glimpse of functioning VR on foot, and the gameplay itself feels like it would only be elevated by full VR support. As such we would love to see a firm commitment from Frontier to VR.

The second most upvoted suggestion thread on record is asking Frontier for backdoor access to no frills VR. (Incidentally, the third most upvoted suggestion of all time asks for something similar). Given the lower resourcing requirements of these suggestions, and the anticipated lengthy wait for a proper VR implementation to the standards the team may wish to deliver, we hope that something of this nature could be provided in the meantime.

If any fellow Cmdrs feel the same, please let us know in the replies below.

Resources:

OFpDZ6F.png
j8OQq9t.png

n247u7G.png
CCR5Wti.png

FoRoPb2.png
5q4HXCB.png

sGgKuNr.png
XDcPJv8.png

FsUAKR8.png
w5czNNG.png

9b5YNfi.png
ds9qhb1.png

kWLMZ5K.png
Rji8Q10.png

Simply right click the avatar you want to use, select "Save mage as..."
Save the file to a folder on your computer.
Go to the top right of the forum page, click your name
Sover the mouse over the thumbnail of your current avatar (if you have one)
The word edit pops up under your avatar, click it
In the file - open dialogue box go to where you saved the avatar, select the image and open the file
The file now uploads onto the server, and while it can take a day or so to appear, it will become your new avatar

VR bug report list compiled by Arioch: Odyssey VR specific bug reports - please contribute!

We need a roadmap with VR on it.

Another reason fdev is dropping vr in my opinion is that VR unveils a lot of graphical tricks that fdev used to give a nice appearance with the minimum effort as usual.
Examples? Yes of course:
The rotating star flares when you tur the head
The rotating smoke in the cabin
The rotating edge of the night vision
The flat and smooth ground surface that in 2D has some shadow trick to make it happear rough but in VR is smooth like a glass surface... really horrible to see it.

You don't agree that fdev does things with the minimum effort? Go and explore the famous system "collection of wonders" and observe the dark rings around the red dwarf star... the complete system is dark because only the black hole is set as a star and all the other stars are set as planets so they generate no light at all 🤦‍♂️... and this is still broken in Odyssey too!

Actually, i feel kind of sad now.
At least now i know, why they phrased it:
"Full VR, not at release."

I feel stupid, because i should´ve known.
Quite shattered.
But at least with the new communication, now we know for sure.

Elite, just 1 month ago, was my favorite VR-Game.
It was on, nearly every Day.
Now, i only play IL-2 and Pavlov.
even tho´ i hop into horizons from time tio time for a smother VR experience.
since i really only bought Odyssey, for future VR

With the merge of Odyssey, end of the Year
my 1080, the new UI,and everything else, will make it hard to continue.

\edit
too late to refund
But at least try to refund at frontier, at least thay will see the reaction

Another reason fdev is dropping vr in my opinion is that VR unveils a lot of graphical tricks that fdev used to give a nice appearance with the minimum effort as usual.
Examples? Yes of course:
The rotating star flares when you tur the head
The rotating smoke in the cabin
The rotating edge of the night vision
The flat and smooth ground surface that in 2D has some shadow trick to make it happear rough but in VR is smooth like a glass surface... really horrible to see it.

You don't agree that fdev does things with the minimum effort? Go and explore the famous system "collection of wonders" and observe the dark rings around the red dwarf star... the complete system is dark because only the black hole is set as a star and all the other stars are set as planets so they generate no light at all 🤦‍♂️... and this is still broken in Odyssey too!
Youpointed maybe in the right way , possible that why in the hell frontier drop further vr support ? :O yes, because they possibli encounter issues that assign more work,effort ,time and their homeoffice situation didnt alowed it , they choosed the fastest easyest way , crapping on their suporters,fans, custommers.
Well pointed

I don't know shood this Q. be made its own thread, but why do only cut features from Elite? Planet Zoo, JWE & planet coaster players, collectively, don't get crapped on as much as we do¿ We get more :poop: in one game than they get in their three combined, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Being fed bad news in small doses reminds me of an old german comedy "the cow Elsa" - it has subtitles, but you have to switch them on. That's basically what FDev does, feeding us one bad news after the other in small doses.

If games like No Man's Sky which possibly have a smaller team than FDev can make walking on planets in VR a thing with the VR controls then I can't see why FDev can't do the same. Graphically NMS is more intense on the surface of the planets as it has to render and track the animals, weather patterns and sentinels. In Elite Dangerous the planets are just empty rocky landscapes with maybe a base with some npcs. No weather systems, base building or trees that sway in the wind.

VR in Elite Dangerous needs to be done right and to use the VR hand Controllers when on foot so we can access the UI via them. Or even make the VR controllers our hands in the game so instead of pressing "E" to activate we actually push the button with our VR finger.

If FDev put work and thought into this side of it they could make a very unique VR game and space sim. But then this is FDev we are talking about.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom