A Call For Frontier To Put VR Legs On The Upcoming Road Map

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If games like No Man's Sky which possibly have a smaller team than FDev can make walking on planets in VR a thing with the VR controls then I can't see why FDev can't do the same. Graphically NMS is more intense on the surface of the planets as it has to render and track the animals, weather patterns and sentinels. In Elite Dangerous the planets are just empty rocky landscapes with maybe a base with some npcs. No weather systems, base building or trees that sway in the wind.

VR in Elite Dangerous needs to be done right and to use the VR hand Controllers when on foot so we can access the UI via them. Or even make the VR controllers our hands in the game so instead of pressing "E" to activate we actually push the button with our VR finger.

If FDev put work and thought into this side of it they could make a very unique VR game and space sim. But then this is FDev we are talking about.
it's not going to happen - eventually not even because they can't do it, but because they no longer want to - imo ED will be faded out and run for as long as the revenue from it justifies running the servers and paying staff. There isn't much to expect revenue-wise, so they will reduce the staff working on it and just maintain a service crew to it's end.

I don't know shood this Q. be made its own thread, but why do only cut features from Elite? Planet Zoo, JWE & planet coaster players, collectively, don't get crapped on as much as we do¿ We get more :poop: in one game than they get in their three combined, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
In a world where developers add VR to their games after the initial release (see NMS and Flight Simulator 2020), FDEV takes the opposite direction and removes support to existing features 🤷‍♂️

In a world where developers add VR to their games after the initial release (see NMS and Flight Simulator 2020), FDEV takes the opposite direction and removes support to existing features 🤷‍♂️
I seen a steam review that said something similar that made me laugh:
Frontier have done a reverse star citizen, they started with a good game and made it into a :poop:storm!

FS2020 is a flight sim not a FPS game, you can still use VR in your cockpit, NMS is a single player game, keep that in mind.

It would be nice to hear what they are going to do after EDO instead just what they are NOT going to do anytime soon if at all. Can they be honest about it?- probably not without to effect console sales - because in my mind the truth is "we don't have major plans for ED, but just let it run for as long as it still does. Thanks for your money though." Everything else would be just empty promises.

i do as well not understand people who seriously think Mr. Braben is held back from fulfilling his vision - he is the CEO, the man in charge, he decides to drop features he himself had promised. He is the one not delivering and not even showing any intend to keep his promises nor have any regret on just not keeping his word.

Last edited:
But they were about to do it until we complained out loud last year when they wanted to remove VR from ships and SRV's in Odyssey.
I think that isn't true either. You see, the critics like to use the same type of disinformation strategy like FD marketing does. Sometimes deliberately - which I really despise. Sometimes by hearsay, and then I'd like to clear up the misconception.

You're right, I stand corrected. They didn't remove it, they stopped supporting it for the new features.
But they were about to do it until we complained out loud last year when they wanted to remove VR from ships and SRV's in Odyssey.
Frontier have never seen VR as worth spending money on - it was added to the original game by a VR enthusiast by the name of Greg in a few days of dev time. Frontier then jumped on the VR bandwagon (built for VR from the ground up my a.r.s.e), only to jump off the next time they found they had to plan dev resources for it.

2014: Greg persuades Braben that he can do it in a day:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2BWY872M8&list=PL3Ym79LECwSIkd3OyJEpy_9PwQEuHew2b&t=521s

Already on the bandwagon:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTzTsWVLXc&t=10s

Last edited:
...and?
I'm not comparing the games, I'm comparing the devs attitude and commitment.
Communication was never FDEVs strongest side, however if you’re asking for VR that works in a MP with FPS elements it’s not that easy, the communication regarding VR was surly not very good and they should have stated early on that it was not going to happen on foot any day soon.

I saw that coming a mile away, no FPS game have done this before with any success not with MP involved.

Communication was never FDEVs strongest side, however if you’re asking for VR that works in a MP with FPS elements it’s not that easy, the communication regarding VR was surly not very good and they should have stated early on that it was not going to happen on foot any day soon.

I saw that coming a mile away, no FPS game have done this before with any success not with MP involved.
I think a lot depends on how you want to do it, but put it this way: the FPS part of Odyssey is always going to be compared unfavourably to the stiff competition out there in dedicated FPS games - why not aim for a point of difference in having VR support? Don't forget that fdev originally intended to remove VR altogether, just to avoid the lack of a seemless transition from ship to foot.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom