A couple of theories

A COUPLE OF THEORIES ...

FIRST, when you buy a new ship or module, most of the money you spend (95%, in fact), is the cost of a license to own and operate a ship of that type.

When you rebuy after destruction, you're actually paying the physical replacement cost.

Evidence: Any station can actually produce any ship or module - evidenced by the fact that if the ship you're in is destroyed and you eject, you have a new copy of all your ships and modules in a station THAT MAY NOT EVEN STOCK THAT SHIP OR MODULES.

So, while any station can produce any ship or module, they are limited by licensing to which owner/operator licenses are able to operate. If they claim they're out of stock (as occasionally seems to happen with some modules), they're negotiating for more licenses.

Also, did you ever wonder how a station always has enough supply of whatever obscure ships they have in stock that people want to buy? They don't ... they just 'print' one as needed. If you sell a ship there, it's disassembled to components ready for the next ship printout.

The robotic assembly system is so efficient it can reproduce a Cutter, Corvette or Anaconda in seconds.

SECOND, the Elite Universe has teleport.

Evidence: (1) When you eject, you find yourself immediately back in a station, even if it's 64 kly away. (2) When you want to activate an inactive hired crew member - that you last saw some distance away, they're instantly available at the current station.

Problems: Why are there so many transport missions available if people can simple teleport from one place to another?

I propose that the technology/intellectual property for the teleport is closely guarded by the Pilot's Federation (with the co-operation of Remlok), and can only be requested by Pilot's Federation members (i.e. CMDR's.). They have a teleport receiving unit in each station that monitors for Remlok suit signals that will safely retrieve an ejected pilot. CMDR's can also request transfer between stations by teleport of a limited number of hired crew. Strict PF laws prevent CMDR's abusing this system for instantaneous travel themselves.

(Yeah, I know the above are actually for gameplay, but I was trying to come up with some way to explain them ...)

I'm not sure remlok works that way.But if we have teleport,that might explain why we don't need spacelegs.

You can't teleport if there is no ship ore station... somebody still need to go out for that.

If I can "teleport" from an exploded ship at Beagle Point back to Ohm City in LHS 20, it would seem like there shouldn't be much of a need for ships to transport anything/anybody from A to B anywhere in the bubble.

You don't get teleported to the next station, instead your escape pod puts you to cryosleep and you get rescued and transported to the next station. In the meantime your insurance company gets you a new ship and transports it to the same station. So why does't time pass? Due to the FSD, its space time bending nature, insane amounts of handwavium and relativity it appears to be instant for all observers except for one cat sitting in a restaurant somewhere around Betelgeuse. That cat is crazy though.

If FIRST is true, why is my second cutter not cheap as rebuy? Why do I have to buy a license at such a high price for every ship of the same chassis?
Also, why would pirate and anarchistic factions even care bout those licenses?

If FIRST is true, why is my second cutter not cheap as rebuy? Why do I have to buy a license at such a high price for every ship of the same chassis?
Why do I have to buy a second license for E: D if I want to run another copy, when I already have one? You'd be licensed to own and operate one copy of the ship.
Also, why would pirate and anarchistic factions even care bout those licenses?
They shouldn't; wouldn't it be fun to go to a black market for ships and buy a dirt cheap ship. (But if it was destroyed, you'd truly lose it, because you had no license).

If I can "teleport" from an exploded ship at Beagle Point back to Ohm City in LHS 20, it would seem like there shouldn't be much of a need for ships to transport anything/anybody from A to B anywhere in the bubble.
Perhaps it's like Terminator's time travel ... only flesh can travel, but nothing metal.

Why do I have to buy a second license for E: D if I want to run another copy, when I already have one? You'd be licensed to own and operate one copy of the ship.

They shouldn't; wouldn't it be fun to go to a black market for ships and buy a dirt cheap ship. (But if it was destroyed, you'd truly lose it, because you had no license).

Perhaps it's like Terminator's time travel ... only flesh can travel, but nothing metal.

I don't need 2 licences to drive 2 different trucks I own. Software licenses work different In fact did you knew you are allowed to only install ED on a SINGLE device. you aren't even allowed to ahve it on multiples, except for transferring it form one to another. Quite funny because it means you would not even be allowed to have it installed on multiple pc's at the same time. If so you would need 2 licenses.

Yeah totally not the movies worst idiotic moment. Because sacrificing a dog for the future of mankind to stuff a futuristic gun into it was not within their intelectual range. Maybe thats the case for the ED universe, they have teleporters everywhere but are too dump to realise they can simply teleport things from A to B. And also, how does my material survive, it's surely not flesh, Not inside my body. At leats I hope all those imperial shielding and superconductors aren't stuffed into my body. Sounds not so healthy at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom